* Setting up a project
@ 2007-12-20 23:04 Joel C. Salomon
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2007-12-20 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying a fairly ambitious project to teach myself practical
ConTeXt -- typesetting a book I'm writing.  As per
<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure>, I've created files
for the project, environment, product, and component.  The component
file (preface.tex) is the only one with (dummy) content right now.

Side questions:
Does a project with a single product really require the full hierarchy?
Is there a dummy layout I can put into the environment file to test the set-up?

Now I want to set up the layout.  An example of what I'm trying to
achieve is at <http://typophile.com/files/Layout.pdf>, currently done
in OpenOffice.  I'm not yet asking about fonts; I just want to put the
text in the correct places.  It doesn't seem that 6×9 (inches) is a
built-in size, so my environment file (env_firefly.tex) needs to look
something like:

\startenvironment env_firefly
\definepapersize[sixbynine][
	width=6in,height=9in,
	offset=???,scale=???]
\setuppapersize[sixbynine][sixbynine]
\setuplayout[...
	...]
\stopenvironment

Do I need to define & name the paper size, or is putting it in the
\setuplayout sufficient?
What are the "offset" & "scale" in the paper size?

I want to have 6″×9″ trim, inner margin of 48pt, outer margin 96pt,
top margin 72pt, bottom margin 144pt for starters.  Headers and
footers, when they exist, are allocated 12 points height and are 12pt
away from the text. (See the linked-to example.)

I have read several of the manuals, I'm just having trouble putting it
all together.  Also, I'm not looking for a recipe but guides on
developing the layout myself so I can understand it.

Thanks,
--Joel

* Setting up a project
@ 2002-09-11 10:07 Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2002-09-11 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I wanted to change my document structure to something more managable
so I decided to set up a project with products and components.

the project file: booklet.tex

product files: pl/pl.tex
	       en/en.tex
	       front/front.tex

component files: pl/leszek-pl/leszek-pl.tex
		 pl/leszek-pl/uccellini-pl.tex
		 pl/leszek-pl/biblio-pl.tex

		 en/leszek-en/leszek-en.tex
		 en/leszek-en/uccellini-en.tex
		 en/leszek-en/biblio-en.tex

		 front/okladka/okladka.tex
		 front/spis/spis.tex

There are two problems however:

1. When  I process  the project  with  "texexec booklet"  I get  empty
   output  in spite of  the fact  that all  the files  are on  the TeX
   path.  The solution to  this is  making symbolic  links to  all the
   files  in the same  directory where  "booklet.tex" resides.  But it
   does not seem like a right thing to do.
2. I was  not able to use  localenvironments with any of  the files in
   the project.

If anyone  would bo so kind  to answer I  could send the files.  And I
still  don't know  how to  use iso-8859-2  encoded files  (with Polish
characters!), but that seems unsupported in spite of what the
documentation says (mtexexec.pdf).

Thanks in advance for your help

Piotr