* quotation/blockquote bug
@ 2007-12-27 21:32 Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-27 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear syndicate,

There is a bug in \quotation and/or \blockquote (pdf attached): there is a
spurious dbl-quote mark at the end of the par that only occurs when
\quotation is invoked.

Please advise, workarounds welcome :-)

Best wishes
Idris

============================
% engine=luatex

\starttext

\startblockquote
The now also must be indivisible: that is, the now in the essential
and primary sense in which the now is inherent in all time; not,
indeed, the now in the derived sense of a period of time…This now,
which functions as the border between both past and future, must,
indeed, be identical….If the now were separate limits [of both the
past and the future], there would be a time between them, since
every [real] continuum must have something of the same kind between
its limits; and the time between them would be divisible, since we
have proved that all time is divisible. Accordingly, the now would
be divisible [and it would not, then, be the now we are talking
about]….Thus, it is clear that time includes something indivisible,
which we call a \quotation{now.} Obviously, too, nothing can be
moving during a now.
\stopblockquote

\stoptext
============================

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

[-- Attachment #2: qabas-test.pdf --]

* Re: quotation/blockquote bug
@ 2007-12-27 23:15 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-27 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:32:59 -0700
"Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> Dear syndicate,
>
> There is a bug in \quotation and/or \blockquote (pdf attached): there is a
> spurious dbl-quote mark at the end of the par that only occurs when
> \quotation is invoked.
>
> Please advise, workarounds welcome :-)
>
> Best wishes
> Idris
>
> ============================
> % engine=luatex
>
> \starttext
>
> \startblockquote
> The now also must be indivisible: that is, the now in the essential
> and primary sense in which the now is inherent in all time; not,
> indeed, the now in the derived sense of a period of time…This now,
> which functions as the border between both past and future, must,
> indeed, be identical….If the now were separate limits [of both the
> past and the future], there would be a time between them, since
> every [real] continuum must have something of the same kind between
> its limits; and the time between them would be divisible, since we
> have proved that all time is divisible. Accordingly, the now would
> be divisible [and it would not, then, be the now we are talking
> about]….Thus, it is clear that time includes something indivisible,
> which we call a \quotation{now.} Obviously, too, nothing can be
> moving during a now.
> \stopblockquote
>
> \stoptext

Your example is too long, I could reproduce this also with the folowing
short example.

\startquotation text \quote{text} text\stopquotation

The wrong right values did only appear if you use singlecommand
quotations within a quotation environment.

The push and popdelimitedtext macros did not work correct in this case
and ConTeXt thinks there current environment is "quotation" and not
"blockquote" when it reaches the \stopblockquote command.

A group around the single quote command helps, you core macros would
look like:

\unprotect

\def\delimitedtext[#1]%
  {\bgroup
   \pushdelimitedtext{#1}%
   \doifelse{\delimitedtextparameter\c!method}\s!font
     {\dofontdrivendelimited}
     {\doifinsetelse{\delimitedtextparameter\c!location}{\v!paragraph,
\v!margin}% \dodelimitedtextpar\dodelimitedtexttxt}}

\unexpanded\def\dodelimitedtextpar
  {\dohandleleftdelimitedtext\c!left\relax
   \groupedcommand
     \donothing
     {\dohandlerightdelimitedtext\c!right\removelastskip
      \popdelimitedtext
      \egroup}}

\def\doquoteddelimited
  {\dohandleleftdelimitedtext\c!left\relax
   \groupedcommand
     \donothing
     {\dohandlerightdelimitedtext\c!right
      \removelastskip
      \popdelimitedtext
      \egroup}}

\def\doattributeddelimited
  {\groupedcommand
     {\dostartattributes{\??ci\currentdelimitedtext}\c!style\c!color}
     {\dostopattributes
      \popdelimitedtext
      \egroup}}

\protect

I added in the macros above only a \bgroup in \delimitedtext and a
\egroup in every of the other three commands.

Wolfgang

* Re: quotation/blockquote bug
@ 2007-12-27 23:45   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-27 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:15:22 -0700, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Your example is too long, I could reproduce this also with the folowing
> short example.
>
> \startquotation text \quote{text} text\stopquotation

Indeed, much more to the point :-)

> The wrong right values did only appear if you use singlecommand
> quotations within a quotation environment.
>
> The push and popdelimitedtext macros did not work correct in this case
> and ConTeXt thinks there current environment is "quotation" and not
> "blockquote" when it reaches the \stopblockquote command.
>
> A group around the single quote command helps, you core macros would
> look like:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \def\delimitedtext[#1]%
>   {\bgroup
>    \pushdelimitedtext{#1}%
>    \doifelse{\delimitedtextparameter\c!method}\s!font
>      {\dofontdrivendelimited}
>      {\doifinsetelse{\delimitedtextparameter\c!location}{\v!paragraph,
> \v!margin}% \dodelimitedtextpar\dodelimitedtexttxt}}
>
> \unexpanded\def\dodelimitedtextpar
>   {\dohandleleftdelimitedtext\c!left\relax
>    \groupedcommand
>      \donothing
>      {\dohandlerightdelimitedtext\c!right\removelastskip
>       \popdelimitedtext
>       \egroup}}
>
> \def\doquoteddelimited
>   {\dohandleleftdelimitedtext\c!left\relax
>    \groupedcommand
>      \donothing
>      {\dohandlerightdelimitedtext\c!right
>       \removelastskip
>       \popdelimitedtext
>       \egroup}}
>
> \def\doattributeddelimited
>   {\groupedcommand
>      {\dostartattributes{\??ci\currentdelimitedtext}\c!style\c!color}
>      {\dostopattributes
>       \popdelimitedtext
>       \egroup}}
>
> \protect
>
> I added in the macros above only a \bgroup in \delimitedtext and a
> \egroup in every of the other three commands.

There is a bug in here I think: ConTeXt validation gives

error in file qabas-test.tex at line 6 in column 3: missing } for {
error in file qabas-test.tex at line 10 in column 6: missing } for {

line 6 is   {\bgroup

luatex eternally pauses with an apparent runaway argument....

But enclosing the whole thing {\quote{}} is a workaround.

Thank you very much for your continuous outppouring of wisdom, Wolfgang!

Best
Idris

@ 2007-12-28  0:05     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-12-28  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:45:43 -0700
"Idris Samawi Hamid" <ishamid@colostate.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:15:22 -0700, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Your example is too long, I could reproduce this also with the folowing
> > short example.
> >
> > \startquotation text \quote{text} text\stopquotation
>
> Indeed, much more to the point :-)
>
> > The wrong right values did only appear if you use singlecommand
> > quotations within a quotation environment.
> >
> > The push and popdelimitedtext macros did not work correct in this case
> > and ConTeXt thinks there current environment is "quotation" and not
> > "blockquote" when it reaches the \stopblockquote command.
> >
> > A group around the single quote command helps, you core macros would
> > look like:
> >
> > \unprotect
> >
> > \def\delimitedtext[#1]%
> >   {\bgroup
> >    \pushdelimitedtext{#1}%
> >    \doifelse{\delimitedtextparameter\c!method}\s!font
> >      {\dofontdrivendelimited}
> >      {\doifinsetelse{\delimitedtextparameter\c!location}{\v!paragraph,
> > \v!margin}% \dodelimitedtextpar\dodelimitedtexttxt}}
> >
> > \unexpanded\def\dodelimitedtextpar
> >   {\dohandleleftdelimitedtext\c!left\relax
> >    \groupedcommand
> >      \donothing
> >      {\dohandlerightdelimitedtext\c!right\removelastskip
> >       \popdelimitedtext
> >       \egroup}}
> >
> > \def\doquoteddelimited
> >   {\dohandleleftdelimitedtext\c!left\relax
> >    \groupedcommand
> >      \donothing
> >      {\dohandlerightdelimitedtext\c!right
> >       \removelastskip
> >       \popdelimitedtext
> >       \egroup}}
> >
> > \def\doattributeddelimited
> >   {\groupedcommand
> >      {\dostartattributes{\??ci\currentdelimitedtext}\c!style\c!color}
> >      {\dostopattributes
> >       \popdelimitedtext
> >       \egroup}}
> >
> > \protect
> >
> > I added in the macros above only a \bgroup in \delimitedtext and a
> > \egroup in every of the other three commands.
>
> There is a bug in here I think: ConTeXt validation gives
>
> error in file qabas-test.tex at line 6 in column 3: missing } for {
> error in file qabas-test.tex at line 10 in column 6: missing } for {
>
> line 6 is   {\bgroup
>
> luatex eternally pauses with an apparent runaway argument....

Not for me, I tested it with mkii and mkiv. I think it was also
something weird introduced by the mail clint.

I attached now my test file.

> But enclosing the whole thing {\quote{}} is a workaround.

Ugly workaround.

> Thank you very much for your continuous outppouring of wisdom, Wolfgang!
>
> Best
> Idris

Greetings,
Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #2: quote.tex --]

* Re: quotation/blockquote bug
@ 2007-12-28  1:36       ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2007-12-28  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:05:09 -0700, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> There is a bug in here I think: ConTeXt validation gives
>>
>> error in file qabas-test.tex at line 6 in column 3: missing } for {
>> error in file qabas-test.tex at line 10 in column 6: missing } for {
>>
>> line 6 is   {\bgroup
>>
>> luatex eternally pauses with an apparent runaway argument....
>
> Not for me, I tested it with mkii and mkiv. I think it was also
> something weird introduced by the mail clint.

Your test file works fine; it was probably the email, 'cause I can't tell
the difference...

> I attached now my test file.
>
>> But enclosing the whole thing {\quote{}} is a workaround.
>
> Ugly workaround.

Indeed, but when you're desperate and on a deadline...

But thank you very much again!

(Any luck with that interlineskip issue by any chance? ;-) )

Best wishes
Idris

@ 2007-12-28  8:16       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-12-28  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>>> \def\delimitedtext[#1]%
>>>   {\bgroup
>>>    \pushdelimitedtext{#1}%
>>>    \doifelse{\delimitedtextparameter\c!method}\s!font
>>>      {\dofontdrivendelimited}
>>>      {\doifinsetelse{\delimitedtextparameter\c!location}{\v!paragraph,
>>> \v!margin}% \dodelimitedtextpar\dodelimitedtexttxt}}

Emailer error: