Hello Idris, I didn't see any reply to this e-mail you sent two weeks ago, so I wanted to give it a try: > In luatex can I make a definition such that such that the string > > U004C U0303 (l ̃) > > is always treated as l with tilde above, taking into account italics and > without using \~l (which does not work in, eg, footnote)? What you want here is to support the Unicode combining characters, which isn't straightforward in TeX because according to the Standard, they come after the base letter they modify, while TeX's accent commands are, of course, typed before. So you can't simply make the combining characters active and equivalent to the appropriate accent macros. In traditional TeX, it would have been tempting to make the base letter active instead, but this has a lot of drawbacks, and LuaTeX offers many other possibilities. Here I've used a set of macros that Taco had written a couple of months ago in response to a question by Thomas Schmitz (see http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2007/027095.html). The attached file implements the transformation of the sequence in "\buildtextaccent\texttilde l", which I hope gives the expected result in every circumstance. I've done it only for the small letter, but of course it's easy to adapt to add the capital letter as well. Finally, I wish to clarify a small misunderstanding: you quoted the two lines below: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH TILDE;004C 0303 LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH TILDE;006C 0303 with the comment "The proposal is still under consideration for Lithuanian and not yet in Unicode". Actually it is already encoded in Unicode; that is, all the characters you need are present with the appropriate semantics, and you can accurately represent a small l with tilde in Unicode; only, you have to use two characters (U+006C followed by U+0303). The only thing that will be added to Unicode in that respect is the *name* of those strings (I guess you took those two lines from the data files for Unicode version 5.1.0, in beta stage). The corresponding characters, though, will not be added to Unicode, according to a decision which has been made several years ago (I could trace it back to a discussion at the Unicode Technical Committee in October 1999, but I don't know the details). The idea is that it can already be represented as a sequence of characters, and the Unicode Consortium does not wish to make the set of alphabetic characters explode with diacritics. In spite of this, Unicode still wishes to acknowledge that some unencoded accented letters are important in some languages, and provides names for the character sequences representing them, like it does for all the encoded characters. The relevant document that explains this is Unicode Standard Annex #34 (http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr34/). Arthur