* ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-04  6:32 Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2008-02-04  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hullo,

I've been wondering ...does anyone know of any good (printed) book to learn
ConTeXt?

Cheers,
Matija

--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
e-mail: matija.suklje@rutka.net

aim: hookofsilver
icq: 110183360
jabber/g-talk: matija.suklje@gabbler.org
msn: matija.suklje@rutka.net
yahoo: matija_suklje

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-08 10:43                   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-02-08 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So first step, What is not correct written in pdf (
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf)? All suggestion
> welcomed!! And all suggestion what should be, is missing?

  I suppose you should start with
  http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Revision_and_translations_of_%E2%80%9CConTeXt%2C_an_excursion%E2%80%9D

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-08  9:44                   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-02-08  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So first step, What is not correct written in pdf (http://
> www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf)? All suggestion
> welcomed!! And all suggestion what should be, is missing?

(I like the idea of a book.)
IMHO one should start from scratch, i.e. from defining a new document
structure. Then the manual contents can evidently be cannibalized
while writing.
But such a project need "official coordinators". Otherwise it risks
to be a printed wiki (which is good, but it's not  a book)

Best

-a-

> Regards, Jan
>

> --
> Macs are for those who don't want to know why their computer works.
> Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.
> DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn't work.
> Windows is for those who don't want to know why their computer
> doesn't work.
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

"
Think of it as seasoning
. noise [salt] is boring
. F(blah) [food without salt] can be boring
. F(noise, blah) can be really tasty
"
(Ken Perlin on noise)

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-08  9:36                 ` Jan Kraljič
From: Jan Kraljič @ 2008-02-08  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I see there is interest in users for book. What is Hans saying on this
idea?

I belive printing and selling wont be such a problem. I think about 1000
copies can be sold.

Firstly we must prepare the book. If there is interest, i'll push this idea
forward.

@ 2008-02-06 16:40               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-02-06 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Otared Kavian wrote:

> Now in my opinion the idea of having a book is a good one: for instance many

How about distributing the ConTeXt manuals from Lulu or someother self
publishing website. I think that the eplain manual is distributed this
way.

Aditya

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-06 10:51             ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-02-06 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Indeed the documents mentioned by Taco are great, but some time ago
there was a discussion on the list about an update of those manuals
(dating from 1999, according to the colofon) and about how we users
can contribute to the job by finding the possible bugs, errors,
misprints, etc. But us far as I know we, at least I, didn't do anything…

Now in my opinion the idea of having a book is a good one: for
instance many of my students when writing reports and theses ask me
about a book on TeX or LaTeX, even though there are many electronic
documents about them freely available. Our library has the books by
Donald Knuth, Leslie Lamport and Raymond Séroul among others, and if
there were a book about ConTeXt I would certainly order at least two
for our library and one for myself. For making ConTeXt more popular
among mathematicians (or other academic users) I think it is good to
have books about it in libraries, since at first students look for
books before sticking to one of TeX flavors.

Best regards: OK

On 6 févr. 08, at 10:50, PChot wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2008 10:37 AM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>

> Jan Kraljič wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i think it would be great to have some basic documentation
> published.
>
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/ms-cb-en.pdf (screen )
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf (paper )
>
> Is not what you had in mind?
>
> Pretty much something like that. (Paper version)
>
> I believe that no one would print this on printer. So I wonder if
> there would be interest for published book?
>
> Regards, Jan
>

> --
> Macs are for those who don't want to know why their computer works.
> Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.
> DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn't work.
> Windows is for those who don't want to know why their computer
> doesn't work.

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-06 10:09             ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2008-02-06 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

PChot> I believe that no one would print this on printer. So I wonder if
PChot> there would be interest for published book?

I'd buy a book for sure, but in the meantime printed the above stuff in
local copy-shop and put in spiral binding ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-06  9:50           ` PChot
From: PChot @ 2008-02-06  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-02-06  9:37         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-02-06  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Kraljič wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i think it would be great to have some basic documentation published.

http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/ms-cb-en.pdf (screen )
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mp-cb-en.pdf (paper )

Is not what you had in mind?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-06  8:49       ` Jan Kraljič
From: Jan Kraljič @ 2008-02-06  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

i think it would be great to have some basic documentation published. My
idea is to create "Basic ConTeXt guide" with start documentation for new
user. This is what should be in:

1. Chapter: What is ConTeXt, what it included, which are basic modules, what
is needed to start with Context, maybe something about instalation

2. Chapter: first document step by step, second document (something like on
contexgarden, maybe little longer step by step)

3. Chapter: my first letter ( how to write little longer document "in
style")

4. Chapter: Formating - quick introduction in text aligment,, fonts (size
and format), tables, how to setup setups page design (mergins...)

5. Chapter: How to create simple presentation

6. Tips and Tricks (maybe some FAQ explained)

Appedix A: Table of math symbols with examples (like sum, matrix...)

Appedix B: Article From Latex to Context

Now my question: are we able to create some book like this? And would be
users interested to buy/use it?

Jan

--

@ 2008-02-05 19:54     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-02-05 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-02-05 um 04:52 schrieb Ernesto Schirmacher:

> I presume all this information is contained in the sources but I am
> unsure
> as to what I should be looking for.  Are there specific things I
> should be
> looking for?

http://wiki.contextgarden.net
http://texshow.contextgarden.net

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-05  3:52   ` Ernesto Schirmacher
From: Ernesto Schirmacher @ 2008-02-05  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt experts,

I recently switched over to ConTeXt and it has been great!

I have been learning a lot from the source files in texmf/tex/context/base/
but I find it hard to understand from the code for a given command what
options are available, which ones are defaults, and what are all the possible values
one might give a given option.

I presume all this information is contained in the sources but I am unsure
as to what I should be looking for.  Are there specific things I should be
looking for?

Thanks in advance,

Ernesto

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-04 18:05 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2008-02-04 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I've been wondering ...does anyone know of any good (printed) book to learn
> ConTeXt?

  The ConTeXt book ... it has been a bit of a Holy Grail for quite a
while, and it looks like it will be some more time until it is found.

  The reason why there is no comprehensive book yet is not clear to me;
maybe Hans' documents were too intimidating in the first place and
nobody dared enhance them ;-)  But it's obvious that things can only
become worse over time, because on the other hand there is quite a lot
of sparse documentation about various aspects of ConTeXt, and it's not
straightforward to gather it all in a comprehensive and coherent way --
by the way, I wish to protest here against the oft-repeated lament
"There is not enough documentation about ConTeXt" (something you hear at
lot on this list): I think it's completely biased, there is a lot of
documentation concerning ConTeXt and it probably covers all the
subjects; the only problem is that it's scattered.  Even on the wiki,
it's not always straightforward to find answers to a particular question
(even if the answer to that exact question is there).

  Maybe this would be a way to start, organizing meta-information in the
wiki, starting, of course, from pages where such information has already
been gathered like http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Official_ConTeXt_Documentation
and http://wiki.contextgarden.net/FAQ -- and of course, this should also
be discussed at the ConTeXt meeting in Bohinj, where I trust all
interested parties should come ;-)

	Arthur

* Re: ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-04 16:44     ` Santy, Michael
From: Santy, Michael @ 2008-02-04 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

We would also be really interested in such a book (even if it was a bit pricey).

Cheers,
Mike

From: Matija Šuklje @ 2008-02-04 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-02-04 10:42 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-02-04 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 4, 2008 7:27 AM, Matija Šuklje <matija.suklje@rutka.net> wrote:
> Hullo,
>
> I've been wondering ...does anyone know of any good (printed) book to learn
> ConTeXt?

cont-eni.pdf, the context manual from pragma ade, i think. but it is
quite outdated.
I think the context development team should update the manual whenever
a new feature is stable, but these people are working non-stop seeking
for new features and have no time to update the manuals:)
so maybe you can find more information on the wiki pages.

> Cheers,
> Matija

* ConTeXt book
@ 2008-02-03 23:27 Matija Šuklje