* Strange format error with xetex engine on debian sid
@ 2008-03-15 15:33 Morgan Brassel
From: Morgan Brassel @ 2008-03-15 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing problems with the xetex engine on debian sid. I'm using the
official packages context and texlive-xetex. Maybe one of you has the same
setup and has a hint... When I try to compile a simple "hello world!"
document, I get the following message:

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996-patch1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/cont-en.fmt was written by pdftex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

I didn't change anything to the setup made by official packages. Is there a
problem with one of them?

Best regards,
Morgan

* Re: Strange format error with xetex engine on debian sid
@ 2008-03-15 16:01 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-03-15 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 15 2008, Morgan Brassel wrote:

> I'm experiencing problems with the xetex engine on debian sid. I'm using the
> official packages context and texlive-xetex. Maybe one of you has the same
> setup and has a hint... When I try to compile a simple "hello world!"
> document, I get the following message:
>
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996-patch1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>  %&-line parsing enabled.
> ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/cont-en.fmt was written by pdftex
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

Hello,

If there is no xetex-format, then I get a similar error.

So, first generate the xetex format:
texexec --make --all --xetex

Then, check where the format has been written (perhaps
/var/lib/texmf/web2c/xetex/cont-en.fmt).

Update the lsr-database:
mktexlsr

Check, if at least kpsewhich finds the format:
kpsewhich -engine xetex cont-en.fmt

It should find the same file, that you've just generated before.

Then, you should be able to compile "Hello world!".

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re:  Strange format error with xetex engine on debian sid
@ 2008-03-15 16:21   ` Morgan Brassel
From: Morgan Brassel @ 2008-03-15 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Saturday 15 March 2008 17:01:41 Peter Münster, vous avez écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 15 2008, Morgan Brassel wrote:
> > I'm experiencing problems with the xetex engine on debian sid. I'm using
> > the official packages context and texlive-xetex. Maybe one of you has the
> > same setup and has a hint... When I try to compile a simple "hello
> > world!" document, I get the following message:
> >
> > This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996-patch1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> >  %&-line parsing enabled.
> > ---! /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/cont-en.fmt was written by pdftex
> > (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> Hello,
>
> If there is no xetex-format, then I get a similar error.
>
> So, first generate the xetex format:
> texexec --make --all --xetex
>
> Then, check where the format has been written (perhaps
> /var/lib/texmf/web2c/xetex/cont-en.fmt).
>
> Update the lsr-database:
> mktexlsr
>
> Check, if at least kpsewhich finds the format:
> kpsewhich -engine xetex cont-en.fmt
>
> It should find the same file, that you've just generated before.
>
> Then, you should be able to compile "Hello world!".
>
> Cheers, Peter

Thanks, Peter.
Yes the xetex format is missing whereas the pdftex one is present. I guess
something is missing in the postinstall script of the context deb package.
Unfortunately, I don't really know how to check it.

Anyway, I ran texexec to build the format. As root, it is written to
/etc/texmf/web2c/xetex/cont-en.fmt
which is not very coherent with the location of the pdftex format.

kpsewhich finds the format, but I'm stiil unable to compile Hello world. I now
get the following error:

kpathsea: Running mktextfm lmromanslant10-regular
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
input lmromanslant10-regular
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf lmromanslant10-regular
! I can't find file `lmromanslant10-regular'.
<*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular

Maybe I should write a debian bug report. This problem hasn't been declared
yet. But I'm not sure how to do that!

@ 2008-03-15 18:26     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-03-15 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 15 2008, Morgan Brassel wrote:

> get the following error:
>
> kpathsea: Running mktextfm lmromanslant10-regular
> mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode;
> input lmromanslant10-regular
> This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
>
> kpathsea: Running mktexmf lmromanslant10-regular
> ! I can't find file `lmromanslant10-regular'.
> <*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular

Hello Morgan,

I don't know much about fonts, but I think, the latest ConTeXt requires
also the latest lm-fonts, since some file-names changed some months ago.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re:  Strange format error with xetex engine on debian?sid
@ 2008-03-15 19:12       ` Morgan Brassel
From: Morgan Brassel @ 2008-03-15 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Saturday 15 March 2008 19:26:06 Peter Münster, vous avez écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 15 2008, Morgan Brassel wrote:
> > get the following error:
> >
> > kpathsea: Running mktextfm lmromanslant10-regular
> > mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1;
> > nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular
> > This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.6)
> >
> > kpathsea: Running mktexmf lmromanslant10-regular
> > ! I can't find file `lmromanslant10-regular'.
> > <*> ...; nonstopmode; input lmromanslant10-regular
>
> Hello Morgan,
>
> I don't know much about fonts, but I think, the latest ConTeXt requires
> also the latest lm-fonts, since some file-names changed some months ago.
>
> Cheers, Peter

You're right, lots of names have changed since previous version. I've sent a
mail to this debian bug (#469437):
Both lmodern and texlive-xetex need to be updated.

Cheers,
Morgan