* Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works
@ 2008-04-15 22:19 Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2008-04-15 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hullo,

Now that I'm fairly happy with the citation and basic styling of my template
for my seminary, research works and thesis, I'd like to take up the fonts and
styling of it.

So, what I'd like to know is which fonts do you suggest for academic works and
what are the basic styling tips for such works?

Cheers,
Matija

link:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Law_Faculty_University_of_Ljubljana_Styling_and_citations

--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
e-mail: matija.suklje@rutka.net

aim: hookofsilver
icq: 110183360
jabber/g-talk: matija.suklje@gabbler.org
msn: matija.suklje@rutka.net
yahoo: matija_suklje

[-- Attachment #1.2: This is a digitally signed message part. --]

* Re: Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works
@ 2008-04-16  6:00 ` Suno Ano
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Suno Ano @ 2008-04-16  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 >| On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:19:18 +0200,
 >| Matija Šuklje
 >| who can be reached at: matija.suklje@rutka.net
 >| (whose comments are cited below with " Matija> "),
 >| had this to say in article <200804160019.24406.matija.suklje@rutka.net>
 >| in newsgroups gmane.comp.tex.context
 >| concerning the subject of Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works

 Matija> Hullo, Now that I'm fairly happy with the citation and basic
 Matija> styling of my template for my seminary, research works and
 Matija> thesis, I'd like to take up the fonts and styling of it.
I took a look at those templates [0] -- nice work.

Would you mind translating your comments into English? That would help
others (including me) a lot! Tia :-)

 Matija> So, what I'd like to know is which fonts do you suggest for
 Matija> academic works and what are the basic styling tips for such
 Matija> works?
Take a look at
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-eni.pdf --> chapter 5

You want to pick a font family which has entire support for mathematical
glyphs like for example
 - Computer Modern Roman or
 - Lucia Bright

[0] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Law_Faculty_University_of_Ljubljana_Styling_and_citations

* Re: Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works
@ 2008-04-16  7:27   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-16  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/4/16, Suno Ano <suno.ano@googlemail.com>:
>  You want to pick a font family which has entire support for mathematical
>  glyphs like for example
>   - Computer Modern Roman or

That's Latin Modern (LM) nowadays.

>   - Lucida Bright

AFAIK there are also math fonts for Palatino (px), Times (tx?),
Helvetica (hx? and commercial) and the Euler fonts that work with
different serif fonts.
And soon (I hope) we'll get math support for the TeXGyre fonts as well.

I'd suggest a readable serif as body font, I like e.g. TeXGyre Schola
(Century Schoolbook) - it's a bit conservative and ill suited for
titling sizes - and perhaps a sans-serif for titlings, e.g. LM Sans or
TeXGyre Heros (Helvetica).

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works
@ 2008-04-16 12:02   ` Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2008-04-16 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne sreda 16. aprila 2008 je Suno Ano napisal(a):
> Would you mind translating your comments into English? That would help
> others (including me) a lot! Tia :-)

Will do as soon as I can. Probably this week. When I do I'll make sure to
notify you (and others) on the list :)

Wow, I didn't think anyone would really have any use for it, since the
citation styles are quite specific. Perhaps I should also include a .pdf (and
source files) as a download, so people can see how it looks like.

> Take a look at
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-eni.pdf --> chapter 5
>
> You want to pick a font family which has entire support for mathematical
> glyphs like for example
>  - Computer Modern Roman or
>  - Lucia Bright

Thanks, will take notice of it. I suppose these don't come out-of-the-box, or
do they?

Cheers,
Matija

--

@ 2008-04-16 12:03     ` Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2008-04-16 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne sreda 16. aprila 2008 je Henning Hraban Ramm napisal(a):
> AFAIK there are also math fonts for Palatino (px), Times (tx?),
> Helvetica (hx? and commercial) and the Euler fonts that work with
> different serif fonts.
> And soon (I hope) we'll get math support for the TeXGyre fonts as well.

As a law student I don't actually need any major math support, but I'll take
notice of these as well.

> I'd suggest a readable serif as body font, I like e.g. TeXGyre Schola
> (Century Schoolbook) - it's a bit conservative and ill suited for
> titling sizes - and perhaps a sans-serif for titlings, e.g. LM Sans or
> TeXGyre Heros (Helvetica).

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a page where I can preview these fonts?

Cheers,
Matija

--

@ 2008-04-16 12:13       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-16 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Matija Šuklje <matija.suklje@rutka.net> wrote:
> Dne sreda 16. aprila 2008 je Henning Hraban Ramm napisal(a):
> > AFAIK there are also math fonts for Palatino (px), Times (tx?),
> > Helvetica (hx? and commercial) and the Euler fonts that work with
> > different serif fonts.
> > And soon (I hope) we'll get math support for the TeXGyre fonts as well.
>
> As a law student I don't actually need any major math support, but I'll take
> notice of these as well.

You should also take a look at Myriad and Minion (Shipped with Adobe Reader)
and Microsofts new fonts for Vista (Part of the PowerPoint Viewer 2007) or take
a look at the following link (the dutch designer behind the 6th
provides a few nice
and free fonts).

http://www.typografie.info/typoforum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4779

> > I'd suggest a readable serif as body font, I like e.g. TeXGyre Schola
> > (Century Schoolbook) - it's a bit conservative and ill suited for
> > titling sizes - and perhaps a sans-serif for titlings, e.g. LM Sans or
> > TeXGyre Heros (Helvetica).
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a page where I can preview these fonts?

Latin Modern has a manual with Examples from the Fonts, not sure if
the other fonts include also one.

Wolfgang

* Re: Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works
@ 2008-04-16 12:16       ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-04-16 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Matija Šuklje <matija.suklje@rutka.net> wrote:
> Dne sreda 16. aprila 2008 je Henning Hraban Ramm napisal(a):
>
> > AFAIK there are also math fonts for Palatino (px), Times (tx?),
>  > Helvetica (hx? and commercial) and the Euler fonts that work with
>  > different serif fonts.
>  > And soon (I hope) we'll get math support for the TeXGyre fonts as well.
>
>  As a law student I don't actually need any major math support, but I'll take
>  notice of these as well.
>

>  > I'd suggest a readable serif as body font, I like e.g. TeXGyre Schola
>  > (Century Schoolbook) - it's a bit conservative and ill suited for
>  > titling sizes - and perhaps a sans-serif for titlings, e.g. LM Sans or
>  > TeXGyre Heros (Helvetica).
>
>  Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a page where I can preview these fonts?

The main site seems to be down.
But you can see them here :
Schola : http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/tgschola/
Heros : http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/tgheros/

And with a fontviewer in the contex path :
$YOURPATH/fonts/opentype/public/tex-gyre/

Cheers,
Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
Olivier nemolivier@gmail.com http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* Re: Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works
@ 2008-04-16 16:53   ` Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2008-04-16 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne sreda 16. aprila 2008 je Suno Ano napisal(a):
> Would you mind translating your comments into English? That would help
> others (including me) a lot! Tia :-)

Done. I've translated the comments. I hope it's comprehensible for
non-slovenian users now :)

Cheers,
Matija

--

@ 2008-04-20 11:44     ` Suno Ano
From: Suno Ano @ 2008-04-20 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 >| On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:53:56 +0200,
 >| Matija Šuklje
 >| who can be reached at: matija.suklje@rutka.net
 >| (whose comments are cited below with " Matija> "),
 >| had this to say in article <200804161853.58913.matija.suklje@rutka.net>
 >| in newsgroups gmane.comp.tex.context
 >| concerning the subject of Re: Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works
 >| (see <200804160019.24406.matija.suklje@rutka.net> <87y77efifw.fsf@googlemail.com> for more details)

 Matija> Done. I've translated the comments. I hope it's comprehensible
 Matija> for non-slovenian users now :)
Yes. thank you :-)

* Re: Fonts and other tips for thesis and other academic works
@ 2008-04-21 16:48         ` Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2008-04-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)