From: Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: mac install & page layout & numbered margin notes
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 18:39:09 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Joachim,

> Hello context-helpers for newbie:
>
> in the documents planned (in and over the Westphalian language) I
> wish to use many margin notes (word translations, exlanations etc.).
> The margin notes should be numbered with reference number (or other
> indication) in the text body. And I should be able to input utf-8
> (because of umlaute and phonetical notations, IPA etc.).
>
> Therefore I installed some week ago
> => MacTeX on my MacBook Pro with OSX 10.4 (Tiger)
> and would like to use => ConTeXt,
> possibly within => TexShop (or elsewise, if better).
>
> But I need a lot of start-up help. Therefore I put the main questions
> of the moment here hoping, that some take pity with me and answer the
> one or the other of the following questions:
>
> 1. Installation of ConTeXt complete and actual?
>
> Has MacTeX braught me with it the main components of the ConTeXt
> system or should I update/complete it and how?
>
> texexec --version
> TeXExec | version 6.2.0 - 1997-2006 - PRAGMA ADE/POD

What is the result from "ctxtools --contextversion"

> 2. How to switch to the German commands in ConTeXt?
>
> (Perheps that might help me a little to learn and remember commands.
> Therefore I want to switch if possible now at the beginning.)

Don't do this, the german interface is not complete, new commands have
english names and a few entries need better names and it would be hard
for us to help you.

> 3. How to setup page/layout dimensions?
>
> Because of the work with margin notes as a form of ever present
> accompanying, helping side text for the reader and learner, I need
> say ==> the third width of the right page for the margin notes. I
> read the applying chapters and passages in Hans Hagen's "ConTEXt
> the manual" (November 12, 2001) several times, but I couldn't get it
> yet.

\setuplayout
  [backspace=2cm,
   width=10cm,
   rightmargin=8cm,
   ...]

Give us more information about your layout.

> 4. How to set up => numbered margin notes and, thereover,
> => prevent, that they are printed one over the other, when there is
> not enough space between the referenced words/phrases in the text body?

Try the following code from Hans:

\definenote
  [glossary]
  [way=bypage,
   location={page,high},
   factor=0,
   width=\leftmarginwidth,
   scope=page,
   %conversion=ownnote,
   %numbercommand=,
   %textcommand=,
   textstyle=,
   rule=,
   before=,
   after=]

\setupnotedefinition
  [glossary]
  [location=left,
   width=fit,
   distance=.5em,
   align={right,tolerant,stretch},
   headstyle=bold,
   hang=1]

\setuplayout
  [width=middle,
   height=middle,
   backspace=5cm,
   margin=4cm,
   margindistance=.25cm,
   cutspace=2cm]

\setuptexttexts
  [margin]
  [\setups{glossary}]
  [\setups{glossary}]

\startsetups glossary
    \vbox to \textheight {\placenotes[glossary]\vfill}
\stopsetups

\starttext

dog\glossary{Hund}

\input knuth

cat\glossary{Katze}

\stoptext

> 5. How to find and learn the possible options to the commands?
>
> The few commands and options I found yet were token from the manuals,
> but this was rather trial and error.

- texshow-web: http://texshow.contextgarden.net/
- Quick References: http://pragma-ade.nl/show-man-10.htm
- The source files

> I attach the (abbreviated) Example of my first Text with ConTeXt, so
> that you can better see, what my most needed help could be (fo to
> come to an output with bride (right) margin and automatically
> numbered margin notes).

Replace "..." with \unknown

Use \quotation{my quoted text} instead of "my quoted text"

> The attached TeX file gave the pdf output, but nevertheless texexec
> (or what ever) gives me a FAILED message in the TexShop Console:
>
> ### /usr/texbin/dvips -R -Poutline  -o /tmp/altpdflatex.
> 1646-1211465898/LyraV-TShop-source-u.ps LyraV-TShop-source-u.dvi
> This is dvips(k) 5.96 Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
> (www.radicaleye.com)
> /usr/texbin/dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
> ### FAILED to generate /tmp/altpdflatex.1646-1211465898/LyraV-TShop-
> source-u.ps ()

Looks like a old ConTeXt version.

> Any help suggestions also for that?
>
> Thank you for reading my cry fore help, best wishes,
> "Met echt-westfälsken Gröiten"
> joachim

Pfiat di
Wolfgang