* unicode feature request
@ 2008-06-06 20:18 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-06-06 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

Just as the signs <, >, + and −, it would be nice if also other signs such
as ≤ (less-than or equal to, 2264) or ⇒ (rightwards double arrow, 21D2)
worked in text mode and not only in math mode.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: unicode feature request
@ 2008-06-07  3:05 ` Charles P. Schaum
From: Charles P. Schaum @ 2008-06-07  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

You should just be able to drop in the math code as such:

\starttext
This is an example of the $\le$ operator.
\stoptext

You will get the proper encoding from the PDF generated.

You could theoretically do:

\def\LE{$\le$}

\starttext
This is an example of the \LE\ operator.
\stoptext

The reason why this is so is because the operators are designed to look
like proper math typesetting, what usually does not happen in many
situations with normal text. TeX was DEK's solution to typesetting
mathematically-oriented books and he would be unlikely to introduce a
counter-intuitive concept.

Charles

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 22:18 +0200, Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just as the signs <, >, + and −, it would be nice if also other signs such
> as ≤ (less-than or equal to, 2264) or ⇒ (rightwards double arrow, 21D2)
> worked in text mode and not only in math mode.
>
> Cheers, Peter

* Re: unicode feature request
@ 2008-06-07  8:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-07  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just as the signs <, >, + and −, it would be nice if also other signs such
> as ≤ (less-than or equal to, 2264) or ⇒ (rightwards double arrow, 21D2)
> worked in text mode and not only in math mode.

i suppose we're talking of mkiv here ...

(1) if the font has the symbol, it should work already

(2) if the font lacks the symbol, we can add a virtual one but then the
problem is .. where to get it from; ok, i can harvest lm fonts but i'd
like to wait till we have proper open type math fonts (project in
progress) so that we can simply overlay fonts (already kind of possible
in mkiv)

(3) we can set up a complicated system of active characters and macros
that check is something is in the font and otherwise fall back to
something that might be in another font ... i'm trying to get away from
this approach; signaling missing glyphs is something on the agenda for 0.40

so ... eventually ... yes (temporary workarounds may show up but only if
i really need it in a project since this is no stuff for pet-projects)

i'm in the process of setting up math in mkiv and this is something that
taco, aditya and i will discuss at the upcoming context conference (feel
free to join in there)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: unicode feature request
@ 2008-06-11 15:37   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-06-11 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 07 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> i'm in the process of setting up math in mkiv and this is something that
> taco, aditya and i will discuss at the upcoming context conference (feel
> free to join in there)

Thanks for considering my request. Much to my regret I won't come to the
conference (due to lack of time), but I really hope to be able to come to
one of the next ones.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/