* nbsp U+00A0 don’t work
@ 2008-06-16 19:31 Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-06-16 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

As you can see in my signature, I had remap my french keyboard layout
according to dvorak rules.
I have the nbsp (U+00A0) on Shift+Space because we use it a lot in
french (all the symbols who needs it are on Shift too).
I discover today that context don't seem to recognise it : I found a «
; » alone at the beginning of a line.
Context deal with the nbsp when it's the « ~ », but with the U+00A0,
not. The symbol is here, my vim highlight it.
I tried with and without \setcharacterspacing [frenchpunctuation] with
no effect.

I use context --version :
MtxRun | main context file: /usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/context.tex
MtxRun | current version: 2008.06.11 22:25

Speaking about french punctuation, I remember that Arthur Reutenauer
speaks about rules he wrote for frenchpunctuation, can we make a wiki
page with all that rules ? I'd like to ask french typograph to look at
them.

Cheers,
Olivier.

PS : hard to do a minimal exemple, but I can try if you need it.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
Olivier nemolivier@gmail.com http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* Re: nbsp U+00A0 don’t work
@ 2008-06-16 19:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-16 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Olivier Guéry wrote:

> Speaking about french punctuation, I remember that Arthur Reutenauer
> speaks about rules he wrote for frenchpunctuation, can we make a wiki
> page with all that rules ? I'd like to ask french typograph to look at
> them.

arthur has defined some rules (he showed me at bachotek) but afaik he
would check it with the french users (assuming that you would say yes -)
and afterthat i'd look into it

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: nbsp U+00A0 don’t work
@ 2008-06-16 20:24 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-06-16 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 16 2008, Olivier Guéry wrote:

> Context deal with the nbsp when it's the « ~ », but with the U+00A0,
> not.

This is a new bug in MKIV, I'm sure that it used to work at least
1 or 2 months ago.
In MKII it works as expected.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: nbsp U+00A0 don’t work
@ 2008-06-16 22:04   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-16 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16 2008, Olivier Guéry wrote:
>
>> Context deal with the nbsp when it's the « ~ », but with the U+00A0,
>> not.
>
> This is a new bug in MKIV, I'm sure that it used to work at least
> 1 or 2 months ago.

maybe because now it's an active character

can you make a test file showing the problem (not sure what it is)?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: nbsp U+00A0 don’t work
@ 2008-06-17  9:03     ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-06-17  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:04 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Peter Münster wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 16 2008, Olivier Guéry wrote:
>>
>>> Context deal with the nbsp when it's the « ~ », but with the U+00A0,
>>> not.
>>
>> This is a new bug in MKIV, I'm sure that it used to work at least
>> 1 or 2 months ago.
>
> maybe because now it's an active character
>
> can you make a test file showing the problem (not sure what it is)?

Here is the minimal code :

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\mainlanguage [fr] \language[fr]
\setcharacterspacing [frenchpunctuation]

\starttext
The « ; » signs shouldn't be at the beginning of a line : \crlf
toto titi toto titi toto titi toto titi toto titi toto titi toto titi
toto titi toto titiii Test ; test : test ? test ! « test » with nbsp
before punctuation \crlf
toto titi toto titi toto titi toto titi toto titi toto titi toto titi
toto titi toto titiii Test~; test~: test~? test~! «~test~» with \~\
before punctuation \crlf
\stoptext

I attached the source code because some mail programs (and firefox2)
remove the nbsp.
And a .pdf if you need it.

Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
Olivier nemolivier@gmail.com http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

[-- Attachment #2: test-french-punctuation.pdf --]

[-- Attachment #3: test-french-punctuation.tex --]

* Re: nbsp U+00A0 don’t work
@ 2008-06-17  9:05   ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-06-17  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Olivier Guéry wrote:
>
>> Speaking about french punctuation, I remember that Arthur Reutenauer
>> speaks about rules he wrote for frenchpunctuation, can we make a wiki
>> page with all that rules ? I'd like to ask french typograph to look at
>> them.
>
> arthur has defined some rules (he showed me at bachotek) but afaik he
> would check it with the french users (assuming that you would say yes -)
> and afterthat i'd look into it

Of course, it's Yes :)
The wiki seems to be a good place to put this rules, since I could ask
some true typograph to have a look at them.

Thank's,
Olivier.

--

@ 2008-06-17 16:49     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-06-17 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 17 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:

> can you make a test file showing the problem (not sure what it is)?

Here a test file:

% engine=luatex
\starttext
\hsize1pt
Hello world!
\stoptext

Between the "Hello" and the "world" is a U+00A0.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: nbsp U+00A0 don’t work
@ 2008-06-18 11:27       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-18 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 17 2008, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> can you make a test file showing the problem (not sure what it is)?
>
> Here a test file:
>
> % engine=luatex
> \starttext
> \hsize1pt
> Hello world!
> \stoptext
>
> Between the "Hello" and the "world" is a U+00A0.

ok, i'll adapt the definitions

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: nbsp U+00A0 don’t work
@ 2008-07-01 13:27     ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-07-01 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> arthur has defined some rules (he showed me at bachotek) but afaik he
>> would check it with the french users (assuming that you would say yes -)
>> and afterthat i'd look into it
>
> Of course, it's Yes :)
> The wiki seems to be a good place to put this rules, since I could ask
> some true typograph to have a look at them.
>
> Thank's,
> Olivier.

Since I check them again yesterday, here is the rules for french
punctuation : http://wiki.contextgarden.net/frenchpunctuation

Olivier.