* Howto float text around an image on layer (in a frame, inside standardmakeup)?
@ 2008-06-24  1:07 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2008-06-24  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

hopefully this is the last dumb question, cause the CD is nearing it's end an
will be prepared for printing soon ;-)

How can I float text around a picture if I place them on a layer?

What I want to achieve is something like this:

ppp........
ppp........

but typeset onto a layer to position it at my will ...

But I can't get the text flow around the graphic.  Here is a minimal example:
\definelayer[test]

\startbuffer[text]
\placefigure[left,none]{}{\framed[height=1cm]{graphic}}
\input tufte
\stopbuffer

\setlayerframed[test]
  [x=.5\paperwidth,y=2em,location=bottom]
  [width=0.8\textwidth,height=0.3\textheight,align=normal]
  {\getbuffer[text]}

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=test]

\starttext
\startstandardmakeup
\stopstandardmakeup
\stoptext

and the result can be seen in the attached PDF.

The same happens inside a standardmakeup
\startbuffer[text]
\placefigure[left,none]{}{\framed[height=1cm]{graphic}}
\input tufte
\stopbuffer

\starttext
\startstandardmakeup
\getbuffer[text]
\stopstandardmakeup
\stoptext

and inside a framedtext
\startbuffer[text]
\placefigure[left,none]{}{\framed[height=1cm]{graphic}}
\input tufte
\stopbuffer

\starttext
\startframedtext[width=0.8\textwidth]
\getbuffer[text]
\stopframedtext
\stoptext
clue, what to change or where to look further ...

Is there another way to flow text around an image?  The image has a fixed
position (top left corner of the text) so it don't has to be a float at all.

Thank you for all your help
Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: test_layer.pdf --]

* Re: Howto float text around an image on layer (in a frame, inside standardmakeup)?
@ 2008-06-24  7:37 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-06-24  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:07 AM, Uwe Koloska <ml@koloro.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> hopefully this is the last dumb question, cause the CD is nearing it's end an
> will be prepared for printing soon ;-)
>

> How can I float text around a picture if I place them on a layer?
>
> What I want to achieve is something like this:
>
> ppp........
> ppp........
>
> but typeset onto a layer to position it at my will ...

Not possible with a layer.

> But I can't get the text flow around the graphic.  Here is a minimal example:
> \definelayer[test]
>
> \startbuffer[text]
> \placefigure[left,none]{}{\framed[height=1cm]{graphic}}
> \input tufte
> \stopbuffer
>
> \setlayerframed[test]
>  [x=.5\paperwidth,y=2em,location=bottom]
>  [width=0.8\textwidth,height=0.3\textheight,align=normal]
>  {\getbuffer[text]}
>
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=test]
>
> \starttext
> \startstandardmakeup
> \stopstandardmakeup
> \stoptext
>
> and the result can be seen in the attached PDF.
>
> The same happens inside a standardmakeup
> \startbuffer[text]
> \placefigure[left,none]{}{\framed[height=1cm]{graphic}}
> \input tufte
> \stopbuffer
>
> \starttext
> \startstandardmakeup
> \getbuffer[text]
> \stopstandardmakeup
> \stoptext
>
> and inside a framedtext
> \startbuffer[text]
> \placefigure[left,none]{}{\framed[height=1cm]{graphic}}
> \input tufte
> \stopbuffer
>
> \starttext
> \startframedtext[width=0.8\textwidth]
> \getbuffer[text]
> \stopframedtext
> \stoptext

> Is there another way to flow text around an image?  The image has a fixed
> position (top left corner of the text) so it don't has to be a float at all.

Do you really need standardmakeup or why do you use it.

A alternative for framedtext is textbackground, it is also the better solution
in grid mode.

\definetextbackground
  [cover]
  [frame=on,
   location=paragraph,
   background=,
   leftoffset=.25ex,
   rightoffset=.25ex,
   topoffset=.25ex,
   bottomoffset=.25ex]

\starttext
\starttextbackground[cover]
\getbuffer[text]
\stoptextbackground
\stoptext

Regards
Wolfgang

* Re: Howto float text around an image on layer (in a frame, inside standardmakeup)?
@ 2008-06-24  7:40 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-24  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Koloska wrote:
> Hello,
>
> hopefully this is the last dumb question, cause the CD is nearing it's end an
> will be prepared for printing soon ;-)
>

> How can I float text around a picture if I place them on a layer?
>
> What I want to achieve is something like this:
>
> ppp........
> ppp........

\starthangaround{\externalfigure[cow]}\input tufte \stophangaround

undocumented but already there for a while (in cont-new) so now *you*
have to wikify it

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-06-24  7:58   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-06-24  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 24, 2008, at 9:40 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> \starthangaround

That's a great name for an environment! :-)

Thomas

* Re: Howto float text around an image on layer (in a frame, inside standardmakeup)?
@ 2008-06-24  9:21   ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2008-06-24  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

Am Dienstag, 24. Juni 2008 schrieb Hans Hagen:
> \starthangaround{\externalfigure[cow]}\input tufte \stophangaround
>
> undocumented but already there for a while (in cont-new) so now *you*
> have to wikify it

Thank you for all your help!  Yes I *have to* wikify all the stuff I learned
while setting the Booklet.  And I promise, I will do it!

Best regards
Uwe

--
Dipl.-Ing. Uwe Koloska
Leiter Softwareentwicklung

voice INTER connect GmbH           Tel +351 481 088 3
Ammonstraße 35                     Fax +351 438 399 25
01067 Dresden - Germany            www.voiceinterconnect.de