* Generating a list of items
@ 2008-07-03 23:37 David
From: David @ 2008-07-03 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all

I'm teaching some classes and want to make a template for lesson
planning. One of the things that I'd like to be able to include, if it
works easily, is an automatically-created list of the materials I need
to remember to bring. I expect this means I would define something like
\Materials , and then while typing the main text of my plan be able to
type \Materials{Photographs} or \Materials{Sound Recording} and then
have ConTeXt generate

"Materials: 1. Photographs  2. Sound Recording"

near the top of the page.

I've tried \placeregister, but it seems to insist on printing page
numbers and alphabetical headings. I just want a numbered list of
items. Can I tweak the \register commands to do this, or perhaps is
there something else I should try?

Thanks
David

* Re: Generating a list of items
@ 2008-07-06  4:40   ` David
From: David @ 2008-07-06  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 23:27:00 -0400 (EDT), Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, David wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm teaching some classes this summer, and want to make myself a
>> template for lesson planning. One of the things that I'd like to be
>> able to include, if it works easily, is an automatically-created list
>> of the materials I need to remember to bring. My intention is that I
>> will only have to type the name of my materials once, while composing
>> the plan itself, and have ConTeXt extract all the names and place them
>> in a list in the same document.
>>
>> I expect this means I would define something like \Materials , and then
>> while typing the main text of my plan be able to type
>> \Materials{Photographs} or \Materials{Sound Recording} and then have
>> ConTeXt generate a list of all the items like this ...
>>
>> "Materials: 1. Photographs 2. Sound Recording"
>>
>> ... near the top of the page.
>>
>> I've tried using \placeregister, but it seems to insist on printing a
>> page number for each item and alphabetical headings as in an index. I
>> would like to get a simple, numbered list of items. Can I tweak the
>> \register commands to do this, or perhaps is there something else I
>> should try?
>
> Have you looked at lists (like table of contents, list of figures etc.). I
> think that the main manual explains how to create new lists.

I thought I had looked there, but I was wrong. A list similar to a
table of contents seems like exactly what I need. I'll reply to this
thread if I encounter any problems with it.

Thank you Aditya.

@ 2008-07-06  3:27 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-06  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, David wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm teaching some classes this summer, and want to make myself a
> template for lesson planning. One of the things that I'd like to be
> able to include, if it works easily, is an automatically-created list
> of the materials I need to remember to bring. My intention is that I
> will only have to type the name of my materials once, while composing
> the plan itself, and have ConTeXt extract all the names and place them
> in a list in the same document.
>
> I expect this means I would define something like \Materials , and then
> while typing the main text of my plan be able to type
> \Materials{Photographs} or \Materials{Sound Recording} and then have
> ConTeXt generate a list of all the items like this ...
>
> "Materials: 1. Photographs 2. Sound Recording"
>
> ... near the top of the page.
>
> I've tried using \placeregister, but it seems to insist on printing a
> page number for each item and alphabetical headings as in an index. I
> would like to get a simple, numbered list of items. Can I tweak the
> \register commands to do this, or perhaps is there something else I
> should try?

Have you looked at lists (like table of contents, list of figures etc.). I
think that the main manual explains how to create new lists.

Aditya

* Generating a list of items
@ 2008-07-06  2:07 David