* inter-word spacing (initials)
@ 2008-07-15 21:30 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2008-07-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

I have the latest ConTeXt and  am using mkii.

One used to be able to reduce the spacing after an initial by by
typing “.\<space>”, but this no longer seems to work. Compare the
inter-word spacing in

\starttext
A. E. Samuel\crlf
A.\ E.\ Samuel

\stoptext

If the is a difference here, I am having trouble seeing it; and on a
typeset page, the gaps after the initials just seem too big.

In general, I find that the spacing after certain characters ---e.g.,
“)”---has been increased of late. Is this in fact the case? Or should
I go back to my old glasses?

Cheers, Alan

* inter-word spacing (initials)
@ 2008-08-02 22:57 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2008-08-02 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

I apologize to all, but circumstances oblige me to pick up a very
pedestrian thread for the third time.

As Peter Münster noted: in the following test-file

\starttext
x. x, x x\crlf
x, x. x x\crlf
x,\ x.\ x\ x\crlf
x.\ x,\ x\ x\crlf
X. X, X X\crlf
X, X. X X\crlf
X,\ X.\ X\ X\crlf
X.\ X,\ X\ X
\stoptext

you see 2 bugs:

- in MKIV there is no bigger space after "x."
- in MKII the space after "x.\ " is a big one

The problem remains in ConTeXt  ver: 2008.07.31 16:30 for MKII (which
I am using). I am do not know if here have been any changes in MKIV.

Is there a fix for this in the works?  I am about to publish a series
of pages which will look vastly better if this is fixed.

Alan

* inter-word spacing (initials)
@ 2008-07-18 17:35 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2008-07-18 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

My original query has generated some interesting sidelines but no
solution, at least none that I can see. So, with all due apologies, I
shall presume on your patience by restating my query.

In (English) typography the spacing after a period within a sentence
is less that that after a period at the end of a sentence. Since the
days of Plain TeX, one achieved the proper spacing after an intra-
sentence period by entering “.\<space>”. My problem is that this no
longer seems to work with recent versions of ConTeXt/MKII: “.\<space>”
does not seem to have any effect at all.

So, how are we now to get the proper spacing after an intra-sentence
period? Are there some language/spacing commands that need to be
invoked in the prelims now?

Sample text:
\starttext

A. E. Samuels and other scholars.  The community of time{-}keepers.

@ 2008-07-15 21:26 Alan Bowen