* all about \about
@ 2008-07-22 19:50 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2008-07-22 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

The \about cross reference command woks ok if I use
\about[aa]

It delivers the title (or part of it in this case) of the section
marked aa.

but when I try to give it some text it blows up on the text, e.g.,
\about{foo}[aa]

So what if anything goes between the { and the }? What purpose do they
serve?

--
John Culleton

* Re: all about \about
@ 2008-07-22 20:12 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-22 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, John Culleton wrote:

> The \about cross reference command woks ok if I use
> \about[aa]
>
> It delivers the title (or part of it in this case) of the section
> marked aa.
>
> but when I try to give it some text it blows up on the text, e.g.,
> \about{foo}[aa]
>
> So what if anything goes between the { and the }? What purpose do they
> serve?

\about does not support \about{...}[...] kind of references like \in or
\at. Does some documentation say that this is supported? This is what
core-ref.tex says

\definecommand about {\dospecialabout}
\unexpanded\def\dospecialabout[#1]%
  {...}

This explains the error message that you get when you try \about{foo}[aa].

What do you want to achieve with \about{foo}[aa]? There may be some other
way to do that.

Aditya

* Re: all about \about
@ 2008-07-22 20:31   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2008-07-22 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 04:12:48 pm Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, John Culleton wrote:
> > The \about cross reference command woks ok if I use
> > \about[aa]
> >
> > It delivers the title (or part of it in this case) of the section
> > marked aa.
> >
> > but when I try to give it some text it blows up on the text,
> > e.g., \about{foo}[aa]
> >
> > So what if anything goes between the { and the }? What purpose do
> > they serve?
>
> \about does not support \about{...}[...] kind of references like
> \in or \at. Does some documentation say that this is supported?
> This is what core-ref.tex says
>
> \definecommand about {\dospecialabout}
> \unexpanded\def\dospecialabout[#1]%
>   {...}
>

> This explains the error message that you get when you try
> \about{foo}[aa].
>
> What do you want to achieve with \about{foo}[aa]? There may be some
> other way to do that.

On page 167 of the Cont-en manual  \about is defined as:

\about{...}[ref]
. . . text

But you are right, if I want to change the text anyhow I can just
ignore \about and put in the text I want. What I was trying to do was
silly.

Page 167 has been suitably defaced so I won't try that stupid trick
again.
--
John Culleton