* bib module and hypehnation
@ 2008-07-27 23:42 Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-27 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using the bib module with ssa style. Quite often while citing
articles with long author names, I find author names
protruding into the margin. Does bib module not support hyphenating author
names, or is something wrong in my setup?

Aditya

* Re: bib module and hypehnation
@ 2008-07-28 12:16 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-28 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using the bib module with ssa style. Quite often while citing
> articles with long author names, I find author names
> protruding into the margin. Does bib module not support hyphenating author
> names, or is something wrong in my setup?

Hyphenation seems to work OK here, so you had better post an example.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: bib module and hypehnation
@ 2008-07-28 14:35   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-28 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using the bib module with ssa style. Quite often while citing
>> articles with long author names, I find author names
>> protruding into the margin. Does bib module not support hyphenating author
>> names, or is something wrong in my setup?
>
> Hyphenation seems to work OK here, so you had better post an example.

I am attaching an example from a document that I am working on. It is
rather big, because I need the same setup (fonts and layout) to create the
problem. The word "Kontoyiannis" is not hyphenated and protrudes to the
margin. I have tried to add it to \hyphenation, but that does not work.

I think that the trouble is due to interaction. If I switch off
interaction, I get complelely different linebreaks, but no troubles with
margin.

The document was compiled using
ConTeXt  ver: 2008.07.13 22:32 MKIV  fmt: 2008.7.15  int: english/english
and
LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.28.0-2008070423

Thanks,
Aditya

[-- Attachment #2: Type: TEXT/x-tex; name=test.tex, Size: 7991 bytes --]

\usetypescript  [serif]   [hanging] [pure]
\setupalign     [hanging]

\definetypeface [mainface] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [features=oldstyle]
\definetypeface [mainface] [ss] [sans]  [delicious] [default] [features=default,
rscale=1.1]
\definetypeface [mainface] [tt] [mono]  [modern] [default] [features=default,
rscale=1.1]
\definetypeface [mainface] [mm] [math]  [palatino] [default]  [encoding=texnansi]

\setupbodyfont[mainface,12pt]

\setfontfeature{oldstyle}

\setuppapersize [letter]
                [letter]

\setuplayout[
                  width=middle,
                 height=middle,
              %location=middle,
                topspace=1.0in,
              bottomspace=.5in,
          bottomdistance=0in,
                   bottom=.5in,
               backspace=1.5in,
                cutspace=1.0in,
              leftmargin=1.0in,
             rightmargin=0.5in,
      leftmargindistance=0.1in,
     rightmargindistance=0.1in,
                  header=0.0in,
                 footer=0.25in,
           headerdistace=0.0in,
         footerdistance=0.25in,
                    marking=on,
    ]

\setupitemgroup
  [itemize]
  [each]
  [margin=1pc,
   distance=0pt,
   itemalign=left,
   headstyle=bolditalic,
   headcolor=darkred,
   afterhead=,
   before={\blank[small]},
   after={\blank[small]},
   indentnext=no]

\setupitemgroup
  [itemize]
  [each]
  [broad,fit]

\usemodule  [bib]

\setuppublications    [alternative=ssa,sorttype=bbl]

\startpublication[k=Witsenhausen:1978b,t=conference,
a={Witsenhausen},y=1978,
n=193,s=Wit78]
\author[]{Hans~S.}[H.~S.]{}{Witsenhausen}
\pubyear{1978}
\arttitle{Informational aspects of stochastic control}
\title{{P}roceedings of the Oxford Conference on Stochastic Optimization}
\stoppublication
\startpublication[k=Teneketzis:phd,t=phdthesis,
a={Teneketzis},y=1979,
n=172,s=Ten79]
\author[]{Demosthenis}[D.]{}{Teneketzis}
\title{Communication in Decentralized Control}
\pubyear{1979}
\bibtype{Ph.D. Thesis}
\month{9}
\pubname{Department of EECS, MIT}
\city{Cambridge, MA}
\stoppublication
\startpublication[k=Munson:phd,t=phdthesis,
a={Munson},y=1981,
n=123,s=Mun81]
\author[]{G.}[G.]{}{Munson}
\title{Causal Information Transmission with Feedback}
\pubyear{1981}
\bibtype{Ph.D. Thesis}
\pubname{Department of Electrical Engineering, Cornell University}
\city{Ithaca, NY}
\stoppublication
\startpublication[k=GorbunovPinsker:1987,t=article,
a={{Pinsker},{Gorbunov}},y=1987,
n=67,s=PG87]
\artauthor[]{P.S.}[P.]{}{Pinsker}
\artauthor[]{A.K.}[A.]{}{Gorbunov}
\pubyear{1987}
\arttitle{Epsilon entropy with delay with small mean-square reproduction error}
\journal{Problems in Information Transmission}
\volume{23}
\issue{2}
\pages{3-8}
\month{April-June}
\stoppublication
\startpublication[k=GorbunovPinsker:1973,t=article,
a={{Gorbunov},{Pinsker}},y=1973,
n=65,s=GP73]
\artauthor[]{A.K.}[A.]{}{Gorbunov}
\artauthor[]{P.S.}[P.]{}{Pinsker}
\pubyear{1973}
\arttitle{Non-anticipatory and prognostic epsilon entropies and message
  generation rates}
\journal{Problems in Information Transmission}
\volume{9}
\pages{1840191}
\stoppublication
\startpublication[k=GorbunovPinsker:1974,t=article,
a={{Gorbunov},{Pinsker}},y=1974,
n=66,s=GP74]
\artauthor[]{A.K.}[A.]{}{Gorbunov}
\artauthor[]{P.S.}[P.]{}{Pinsker}
\pubyear{1974}
\arttitle{Prognostic epsilon entropy of a {Gaussian} message and a {Gaussian}
  source}
\journal{Problems in Information Transmission}
\volume{10}
\pages{184-191}
[...]

\startpublication[k=Tatikonda:phd,t=phdthesis,
a={Tatikonda},y=2000,
n=166,s=Tat00]
\author[]{S.}[S.]{}{Tatikonda}
\title{Control Under Communication Constraints}
\pubyear{2000}
\bibtype{Ph.D.~Thesis}
\pubname{Department of EECS, Masachussets Institute of Technology, Cambridge,
  MA}
\stoppublication
\startpublication[k=Tatikonda:2004,t=article,
a={{Tatikonda},{Mitter}},y=2004a,
n=163,s=TM04a]
\artauthor[]{S.}[S.]{}{Tatikonda}
\artauthor[]{S.~K.}[S.~K.]{}{Mitter}
\pubyear{2004\maybeyear{a}}
\arttitle{Control under communication constraints}
\journal{{IEEE} Trans. Autom. Control}
\volume{49}
\issue{7}
\pages{1056-1068}
\month{7}
\stoppublication
\startpublication[k=MerhavKontoyiannis:2003,t=article,
a={{Merhav},{Kontoyiannis}},y=2003,o={10.1109/TIT.2002.808137},
n=121,s=MK03]
\artauthor[]{N.}[N.]{}{Merhav}
\artauthor[]{I.}[I.]{}{Kontoyiannis}
\pubyear{2003}
\arttitle{Source coding exponents for zero-delay coding with finite memory}
\journal{{IEEE} Trans. Inf. Theory}
\issn{0018-9448}
\volume{49}
\issue{3}
\pages{609--625}
\doi{10.1109/TIT.2002.808137}
\keywords{delays, entropy codes, memoryless systems, probability, quantisation
  (signal), rate distortion theory, source coding, variable rate codes}
\stoppublication
\startpublication[k=HoKastnerWong:1978,t=article,
a={{Ho},{}},y=1978,
n=74,s=HKW78]
\artauthor[]{Yu-Chi}[Y.-C.]{}{Ho}
\artauthor[]{M.}[M.]{}{Kastner}
\artauthor[]{E.}[E.]{}{Wong}
\pubyear{1978}
\arttitle{Teams, signaling, and information theory}
\journal{{IEEE} Trans. Autom. Control}
\issn{0018-9286}
\volume{23}
\issue{2}
\pages{305--312}
\abstract{The purpose of this paper is to unify results from three separate
  and, at least superficially, unrelated subject matters, namely, team decision
  theory, market signaling in economics, and the classical Shannon information
  theory.}
\stoppublication

\hyphenation{Kon-to-yi-an-nis}

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupcite  [interaction=start, compress=no]

\starttext

\startitemize[n]
  \head Performance bounds of finite delay or real||time communication systems

    The first approach relies on identifying performance bounds of real-time
    communication systems. This approach is inspired by information theory.
    Various methods have been used to derive performance bounds of real-time
    communication systems including
    mathematical programming, forward flow of information,
    conditional mutual information, determination of non-anticipatory rate
    distortion function, randomizing over a family of encoders-decoders
    in~\cite[Witsenhausen:1978b, Teneketzis:phd, Munson:phd,
    GorbunovPinsker:1973, GorbunovPinsker:1974, GorbunovPinsker:1987,
    HoKastnerWong:1978, Tatikonda:phd, Tatikonda:2004,MerhavKontoyiannis:2003].
    However, these bounds are not tight for small values of delay.

\stopitemize

\placepublications

\stoptext

* Re: bib module and hypehnation
@ 2008-07-28 18:02     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-07-28 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> I think that the trouble is due to interaction. If I switch off
> interaction, I get complelely different linebreaks, but no troubles with
> margin.

Ah, yes. The \cite basically expands into \goto{<authornames>}[ref],
and context does not hyphenate the word(s) in the braced argument of
\goto. Sorry, looks like you are stuck.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: bib module and hypehnation
@ 2008-07-28 19:31       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-07-28 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> I think that the trouble is due to interaction. If I switch off
>> interaction, I get complelely different linebreaks, but no troubles with
>> margin.
>
> Ah, yes. The \cite basically expands into \goto{<authornames>}[ref],
> and context does not hyphenate the word(s) in the braced argument of
> \goto. Sorry, looks like you are stuck.

Thanks for confirming this. For this project, I will go without
interaction since the output must look good on print.

Any particular reason why \goto does not break the link across lines? I
thought that PS could not handle links split across multiple lines while
PDF could. Is it just because \goto was implement loooong time back?

@ 2008-07-28 20:29         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-07-28 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>> I think that the trouble is due to interaction. If I switch off
>>> interaction, I get complelely different linebreaks, but no troubles with
>>> margin.
>> Ah, yes. The \cite basically expands into \goto{<authornames>}[ref],
>> and context does not hyphenate the word(s) in the braced argument of
>> \goto. Sorry, looks like you are stuck.
>
> Thanks for confirming this. For this project, I will go without
> interaction since the output must look good on print.
>
> Any particular reason why \goto does not break the link across lines? I
> thought that PS could not handle links split across multiple lines while
> PDF could. Is it just because \goto was implement loooong time back?

goto breaks but does not hyphenate ...

- indeed it dates from the multiple backend time
- also, this gives us more control over proper clickable areas
- it'a also related to more complex nnotations (chained, inheritance etc)

in mkiv i might reimplement this at some point using attributes

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-07-28 20:50         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-07-28 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 28 2008, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Any particular reason why \goto does not break the link across lines? I
> thought that PS could not handle links split across multiple lines while
> PDF could. Is it just because \goto was implement loooong time back?

It's perhaps just a matter of time, see also:

http://foundry.supelec.fr/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=59&group_id=21&atid=164

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/