* Delicious - I'm still confused
@ 2008-08-18 13:09 Piotr Kopszak
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2008-08-18 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello list,

Sorry for being boring, but I still can't figure out whether Delicious font can or cannot
be used with latest beta. It still does not work for me. Strangely

mtxrun --script font --list|grep deli

gives

deliciousbold                    Delicious-Bold                    Delicious-Bold.otf
deliciousbolditalic              Delicious-BoldItalic              Delicious-BoldItalic.otf
deliciousheavy                   Delicious-Heavy                   Delicious-Heavy.otf
deliciousheavymedium             Delicious-Heavy                   Delicious-Heavy.otf
deliciousitalic                  Delicious-Italic                  Delicious-Italic.otf
deliciousmedium                  Delicious-Roman                   Delicious-Roman.otf
deliciousroman                   Delicious-Roman                   Delicious-Roman.otf
delicioussmallcaps               Delicious-SmallCaps               Delicious-SmallCaps.otf
delicioussmallcapsmedium         Delicious-SmallCaps               Delicious-SmallCaps.otf

but

texexec --lua --pdf delicious-test

has problems:

define font | forced type otf of Delicious-Roman not found
define font | font with name Delicious-Roman is not found
define font | unknown font Delicious-Roman, loading aborted
! Font \*delicious12ptsstfss*:=Delicious-Roman.otf at 12pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.

Piotr

  Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D.
  Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw

* Re: Delicious - I'm still confused
@ 2008-08-18 13:16 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-18 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@mnw.art.pl> wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> Sorry for being boring, but I still can't figure out whether Delicious font can or cannot
> be used with latest beta. It still does not work for me. Strangely
>
> mtxrun --script font --list|grep deli
>
> gives
>
> deliciousbold                    Delicious-Bold                    Delicious-Bold.otf
> deliciousbolditalic              Delicious-BoldItalic              Delicious-BoldItalic.otf
> deliciousheavy                   Delicious-Heavy                   Delicious-Heavy.otf
> deliciousheavymedium             Delicious-Heavy                   Delicious-Heavy.otf
> deliciousitalic                  Delicious-Italic                  Delicious-Italic.otf
> deliciousmedium                  Delicious-Roman                   Delicious-Roman.otf
> deliciousroman                   Delicious-Roman                   Delicious-Roman.otf
> delicioussmallcaps               Delicious-SmallCaps               Delicious-SmallCaps.otf
> delicioussmallcapsmedium         Delicious-SmallCaps               Delicious-SmallCaps.otf
>
> but
>
> texexec --lua --pdf delicious-test
>
> has problems:
>
> define font | forced type otf of Delicious-Roman not found
> define font | font with name Delicious-Roman is not found
> define font | unknown font Delicious-Roman, loading aborted
> ! Font \*delicious12ptsstfss*:=Delicious-Roman.otf at 12pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.

Make a example file.

Wolfgang

* Re: Delicious - I'm still confused
@ 2008-08-18 13:36 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-18 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> Sorry for being boring, but I still can't figure out whether Delicious font can or cannot
> be used with latest beta. It still does not work for me. Strangely
>
> mtxrun --script font --list|grep deli
>
> gives
>
> deliciousbold                    Delicious-Bold                    Delicious-Bold.otf
> deliciousbolditalic              Delicious-BoldItalic              Delicious-BoldItalic.otf
> deliciousheavy                   Delicious-Heavy                   Delicious-Heavy.otf
> deliciousheavymedium             Delicious-Heavy                   Delicious-Heavy.otf
> deliciousitalic                  Delicious-Italic                  Delicious-Italic.otf
> deliciousmedium                  Delicious-Roman                   Delicious-Roman.otf
> deliciousroman                   Delicious-Roman                   Delicious-Roman.otf
> delicioussmallcaps               Delicious-SmallCaps               Delicious-SmallCaps.otf
> delicioussmallcapsmedium         Delicious-SmallCaps               Delicious-SmallCaps.otf

did you do mtxrun --scritp font --reload?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-08-18 13:51   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2008-08-18 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 03:36:38PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Piotr Kopszak wrote:
>
> did you do mtxrun --scritp font --reload?

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

Yes, I did.

BTW, I used the the typescript and test file from this post

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20080611.074352.b1751f5f.en.html

type-delicious.tex:
\starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
\setups[font:fallback:sans]
\definefontsynonym [Sans] [Delicious-Regular]
\definefontsynonym [SansItalic] [Delicious-Italic]
\definefontsynonym [SansBold] [Delicious-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [SansBoldItalic] [Delicious-BoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym [SansCaps] [Delicious-Caps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-Regular] [name:Delicious-Roman]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-Italic] [name:Delicious-Italic]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-Bold] [name:Delicious-Bold]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-BoldItalic] [name:Delicious-BoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-Caps] [name:Delicious-SmallCaps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [delicious]
\definetypeface [delicious] [ss] [sans] [delicious] [default]
\stoptypescript

test-delicious.tex
\usetypescriptfile  [type-delicious]
\usetypescript[delicious]
\setupbodyfont[delicious]

\starttext

My document with the delicious fonts.

\input knuth

\stoptext

But typescript is probably not to blame as I get the same error with:

test-delicious2.tex
\starttext

\definedfont[name:Delicious-Roman] Hello

My document with the delicious fonts.

\input knuth

\stoptext

Best

@ 2008-08-18 14:02 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-18 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> Sorry for being boring, but I still can't figure out whether Delicious font can or cannot
> be used with latest beta. It still does not work for me. Strangely
>
> mtxrun --script font --list|grep deli
>
> gives
>
> deliciousbold                    Delicious-Bold                    Delicious-Bold.otf
> deliciousbolditalic              Delicious-BoldItalic              Delicious-BoldItalic.otf
> deliciousheavy                   Delicious-Heavy                   Delicious-Heavy.otf
> deliciousheavymedium             Delicious-Heavy                   Delicious-Heavy.otf
> deliciousitalic                  Delicious-Italic                  Delicious-Italic.otf
> deliciousmedium                  Delicious-Roman                   Delicious-Roman.otf
> deliciousroman                   Delicious-Roman                   Delicious-Roman.otf
> delicioussmallcaps               Delicious-SmallCaps               Delicious-SmallCaps.otf
> delicioussmallcapsmedium         Delicious-SmallCaps               Delicious-SmallCaps.otf

It may be possible that in the newest beta's you have to give the first
column from the --list output as the font  name, like so:

\starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-Regular]    [name:deliciousroman]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-Italic]     [name:deliciousitalic]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-Bold]       [name:deliciousbold]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-BoldItalic] [name:deliciousbolditalic]
\definefontsynonym [Delicious-Caps]       [name:delicioussmallcaps]
\stoptypescript

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Delicious - I'm still confused
@ 2008-08-18 16:33   ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-08-18 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma <at> wxs.nl> writes:

> did you do mtxrun --scritp font --reload?

Hi,

Is this still true?

"In the latest beta (July 2008) versions of Mark IV this is no longer the case.
In these new versions, the reload command is run automatically whenever a named
font cannot be found."

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Running_Mark_IV

* Re: Delicious - I'm still confused
@ 2008-08-18 19:55   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2008-08-18 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 04:02:25PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> It may be possible that in the newest beta's you have to give the first
> column from the --list output as the font  name, like so:
>
> \starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Regular]    [name:deliciousroman]
> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Italic]     [name:deliciousitalic]
> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Bold]       [name:deliciousbold]
> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-BoldItalic] [name:deliciousbolditalic]
> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Caps]       [name:delicioussmallcaps]
> \stoptypescript

This hasn't changed much, this time I'm getting

(./type-delicious.tex))
! Font \*delicious12ptsstfss*:=deliciousroman at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (T
FM) file not found.
<to be read again>

Piotr

--

   Piotr Kopszak, Ph.D.
   Polish Art Gallery, National Museum in Warsaw
   kle --------------------------->  http://okle.pl
   http://www.magnatune.com/artists/altri_stromenti

* Re: Delicious - I'm still confused
@ 2008-08-18 20:14     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-18 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 04:02:25PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> It may be possible that in the newest beta's you have to give the first
>> column from the --list output as the font  name, like so:
>>
>> \starttypescript [sans] [delicious]
>> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Regular]    [name:deliciousroman]
>> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Italic]     [name:deliciousitalic]
>> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Bold]       [name:deliciousbold]
>> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-BoldItalic] [name:deliciousbolditalic]
>> \definefontsynonym [Delicious-Caps]       [name:delicioussmallcaps]
>> \stoptypescript
>
> This hasn't changed much, this time I'm getting
>
> (./type-delicious.tex))
> ! Font \*delicious12ptsstfss*:=deliciousroman at 12.0pt not loadable: Metric (T
> FM) file not found.
> <to be read again>

is the file listed in

...\luatex-cache\context\3addaf6083634dad22ef3141c83e8289\fonts\data\names.tma

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-08-18 20:32       ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2008-08-18 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:14:47PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Piotr Kopszak wrote:
>
> is the file listed in
>
> ..\luatex-cache\context\3addaf6083634dad22ef3141c83e8289\fonts\data\names.tma
>
> Hans

Yes, in fallback_mapping:

     deliciousmedium={ "otf", "Delicious-Roman", "Delicious-Roman.otf", false },

and in mapping:

    deliciousroman={ "otf", "Delicious-Roman", "Delicious-Roman.otf", false },

Piotr

--

@ 2008-08-19  7:50         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-19  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Piotr Kopszak wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:14:47PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Piotr Kopszak wrote:
>>
>> is the file listed in
>>
>> ..\luatex-cache\context\3addaf6083634dad22ef3141c83e8289\fonts\data\names.tma
>>
>> Hans
>
> Yes, in fallback_mapping:
>
>      deliciousmedium={ "otf", "Delicious-Roman", "Delicious-Roman.otf", false },
>
> and in mapping:
>
>     deliciousroman={ "otf", "Delicious-Roman", "Delicious-Roman.otf", false },

ok, so it's not a system font (else there would be a complete path); in
that case, make sure that *tex* knows where to find the font, i.e. is
the font in one of the valid opentype paths? did you run "luatools
--generate"? the font database is currently not checked against the
valid tree related variables (maybe sometime ...)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-08-19 10:28           ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2008-08-19 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:50:58AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> ok, so it's not a system font (else there would be a complete path); in
> that case, make sure that *tex* knows where to find the font, i.e. is
> the font in one of the valid opentype paths?

So you mean install it the old way with texfont, mktexlsr? It does not
work in the Minimals version I got (just tried the example provided in
the article  by Adam  Lindsay on Open  Type installation) and  I don't
want it :) I would prefer to  make it a system font if that would make
it work. But what does a "system font" mean for luatex on linux?

>Did you run "luatools
> --generate"?
Yes, I did.

@ 2008-08-19 10:36             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-19 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@mnw.art.pl> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:50:58AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> ok, so it's not a system font (else there would be a complete path); in
>> that case, make sure that *tex* knows where to find the font, i.e. is
>> the font in one of the valid opentype paths?
>
> So you mean install it the old way with texfont, mktexlsr? It does not
> work in the Minimals version I got (just tried the example provided in
> the article  by Adam  Lindsay on Open  Type installation) and  I don't
> want it :) I would prefer to  make it a system font if that would make
> it work. But what does a "system font" mean for luatex on linux?

You don't have to install them with texfont. Where dou you save the fonts
for the moment, in your TeX tree or in one of the OS directories.

I have the fonts on my Mac under $HOME/Library/Fonts.

Wolfgang

* Re: Delicious - I'm still confused
@ 2008-08-19 10:58               ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2008-08-19 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:36:43PM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@mnw.art.pl> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 09:50:58AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >
> >> ok, so it's not a system font (else there would be a complete path); in
> >> that case, make sure that *tex* knows where to find the font, i.e. is
> >> the font in one of the valid opentype paths?
> >
> > So you mean install it the old way with texfont, mktexlsr? It does not
> > work in the Minimals version I got (just tried the example provided in
> > the article  by Adam  Lindsay on Open  Type installation) and  I don't
> > want it :) I would prefer to  make it a system font if that would make
> > it work. But what does a "system font" mean for luatex on linux?
>
> You don't have to install them with texfont. Where dou you save the fonts
> for the moment, in your TeX tree or in one of the OS directories.
>
> I have the fonts on my Mac under $HOME/Library/Fonts.
>
> Wolfgang

I installed ConTeXt Minimals in "/context"
and copied delicious otf files to "/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/exljbris"
so in the TeX tree, I guess. When I tried to move them to  "$HOME/Library/Fonts"
and then ran "luatools --update; mtxrun --script font --reload" they disappeared
altogether from the list given by "mtxrun --script font --list". So probably
it's not a system directory on linux.

Piotr

--

@ 2008-08-19 11:10                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-19 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@mnw.art.pl> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:36:43PM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> > So you mean install it the old way with texfont, mktexlsr? It does not
>> > work in the Minimals version I got (just tried the example provided in
>> > the article  by Adam  Lindsay on Open  Type installation) and  I don't
>> > want it :) I would prefer to  make it a system font if that would make
>> > it work. But what does a "system font" mean for luatex on linux?
>>
>> You don't have to install them with texfont. Where dou you save the fonts
>> for the moment, in your TeX tree or in one of the OS directories.
>>
>> I have the fonts on my Mac under $HOME/Library/Fonts.
>>
>> Wolfgang

> I installed ConTeXt Minimals in "/context"
> and copied delicious otf files to "/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/exljbris"
> so in the TeX tree, I guess.

The correct path is "/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/opentype/exljbris".

> When I tried to move them to  "$HOME/Library/Fonts"
> and then ran "luatools --update; mtxrun --script font --reload" they disappeared
> altogether from the list given by "mtxrun --script font --list". So probably
> it's not a system directory on linux.

The local font directory under $HOME is only read on a Mac but you
could add it to "OSFONTDIR".

Wolfgang

* Re: Delicious - I'm still confused
@ 2008-08-19 11:30               ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2008-08-19 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> > it work. But what does a "system font" mean for luatex on linux?
>
> You don't have to install them with texfont. Where dou you save the fonts
> for the moment, in your TeX tree or in one of the OS directories.
>
> I have the fonts on my Mac under $HOME/Library/Fonts.
>
> Wolfgang

Finally did it. Moved the fonts to /context/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public
and they worked.

@ 2008-08-19 11:42                   ` Piotr Kopszak
From: Piotr Kopszak @ 2008-08-19 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 01:10:04PM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Piotr Kopszak <kopszak@mnw.art.pl> wrote:

> >> You don't have to install them with texfont. Where dou you save the fonts
> >> for the moment, in your TeX tree or in one of the OS directories.
> >>
> >> I have the fonts on my Mac under $HOME/Library/Fonts.
> >>
> >> Wolfgang
>
> > I installed ConTeXt Minimals in "/context"
> > and copied delicious otf files to "/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/exljbris"
> > so in the TeX tree, I guess.
>
> The correct path is "/context/tex/texmf-context/fonts/opentype/exljbris".

Funny enough that didn't work when I tried to move the fonts there  although it is in the output of 'kpsewhich --show-path="opentype fonts"' indeed.

> > When I tried to move them to  "$HOME/Library/Fonts"
> > and then ran "luatools --update; mtxrun --script font --reload" they disappeared
> > altogether from the list given by "mtxrun --script font --list". So probably
> > it's not a system directory on linux.
>
> The local font directory under $HOME is only read on a Mac but you
> could add it to "OSFONTDIR".
>
> Wolfgang

Anyway, great thanks for help.