* Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-25 17:12 David Wooten
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Wooten @ 2008-10-25 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings all,

A sad story: My context-typeset dissertation was printed/distributed
by a POD publisher with aweful typographical errors (like all commas
in the main font being replaced by an ff ligature). Obviously the
printer didn't check their results. The file reads fine both for me
and the publisher, but the printer let us know that the file is
unprintable due to problems with fonts not being embedded (why they
originally printed an "unprintable" file I'll never know).

Now as far as I can tell, fonts are embedded. It was made with context
MKII, using hz and hanging punctuation, etc. When I look at the
document in Adobe Acrobat, and check the document/font details, it
gives a list of embedded fonts only.

I'm not certain that the printer is in the right, but how can I tell?
Is it possible that the pdf was altered when transferred from me to
the publisher then to the printer? That compression of the pdf (zip)
had any impact? Any other possibilities? What do you need to know to
offer advice? ---I can send the file or a part of it if it is needed.

Best,
David

* Re: Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-25 18:18 ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2008-10-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Wooten wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> A sad story: My context-typeset dissertation was printed/distributed by
> a POD publisher with aweful typographical errors (like all commas in the
> main font being replaced by an ff ligature). Obviously the printer
> didn't check their results. The file /reads/ fine both for me and the
> publisher, but the printer let us know that the file is unprintable due
> to problems with fonts not being embedded (why they originally printed
> an "unprintable" file I'll never know).
>
> Now as far as I can tell, fonts /are /embedded. It was made with context
> MKII, using hz and hanging punctuation, etc. When I look at the document
> in Adobe Acrobat, and check the document/font details, it gives a list
> of embedded fonts only.
>
> I'm not certain that the printer is in the right, but how can I tell? Is
> it possible that the pdf was altered when transferred from me to the
> publisher then to the printer? That compression of the pdf (zip) had any
> impact? Any other possibilities? What do you need to know to offer
> advice? ---I can send the file or a part of it if it is needed.

Hi David,

if the printer didn't alter the file and the fonts were embedded in the
original PDF document, they didn't vanished. The zip compression doesn't
alter those things (AFAIK).

A way to check whether the fonts are embedded or not, you can download
ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.02pl2-dos6.zip (if you are using
Windows) and run from the command-line

	pdffonts dissertation-filename.pdf

Replace dissertation-filename.pdf with the actual file name and pdffonts
will display all font information.

If this is too complicated for you, send me the original file in a
private reply and I will post the results.

I hope it helps,

Pablo

* Re: Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-25 19:38 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-10-25 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi david,
I'm working in printing house

> A sad story: My context-typeset dissertation was printed/distributed by a
> POD publisher with aweful typographical errors (like all commas in the main
> font being replaced by an ff ligature).

Horrors, and really strange

> Obviously the printer didn't check their results.

The file *reads* fine both for me and the publisher, but the printer let us
> know that the file is unprintable due to problems with fonts not being
> embedded

This is  a common problem

> (why they originally printed an "unprintable" file I'll never know).

money ?

> Now as far as I can tell, fonts *are *embedded. It was made with context
> MKII, using hz and hanging punctuation, etc. When I look at the document in
> Adobe Acrobat, and check the document/font details, it gives a list of
> embedded fonts only.

Are you sure?
As pable write
pdffonts is very good

> I'm not certain that the printer is in the right, but how can I tell? Is it
> possible that the pdf was altered when transferred from me to the publisher
> then to the printer?

With very hight probability , no ; pdf is a 'bynary' format
an alteration will broken the file.

> That compression of the pdf (zip) had any impact?

With very hight probability , no .

> Any other possibilities? What do you need to know to offer advice?
>

> I can send the file or a part of it if it is needed.

yes, if you want .

--
luigi

* Re: Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-26  2:27   ` David Wooten
From: David Wooten @ 2008-10-26  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 25, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> David Wooten wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> A sad story: My context-typeset dissertation was printed/
>> distributed by
>> a POD publisher with aweful typographical errors (like all commas
>> in the
>> main font being replaced by an ff ligature). Obviously the printer
>> didn't check their results. The file /reads/ fine both for me and the
>> publisher, but the printer let us know that the file is unprintable
>> due
>> to problems with fonts not being embedded (why they originally
>> printed
>> an "unprintable" file I'll never know).
>>
>> Now as far as I can tell, fonts /are /embedded. It was made with
>> context
>> MKII, using hz and hanging punctuation, etc. When I look at the
>> document
>> in Adobe Acrobat, and check the document/font details, it gives a
>> list
>> of embedded fonts only.
>>
>> I'm not certain that the printer is in the right, but how can I
>> tell? Is
>> it possible that the pdf was altered when transferred from me to the
>> publisher then to the printer? That compression of the pdf (zip)
>> had any
>> impact? Any other possibilities? What do you need to know to offer
>> advice? ---I can send the file or a part of it if it is needed.
>
> Hi David,
>
> if the printer didn't alter the file and the fonts were embedded in
> the
> original PDF document, they didn't vanished. The zip compression
> doesn't
> alter those things (AFAIK).
>
> A way to check whether the fonts are embedded or not, you can download
> ftp://ftp.foolabs.com/pub/xpdf/xpdf-3.02pl2-dos6.zip (if you are using
> Windows) and run from the command-line
>
> 	pdffonts dissertation-filename.pdf
>
> Replace dissertation-filename.pdf with the actual file name and
> pdffonts
> will display all font information.
>
> If this is too complicated for you, send me the original file in a
> private reply and I will post the results.
>
> I hope it helps,
>

> Pablo

Thanks, Pablo and Luigi,

I was able to run pdffonts and check my file, it agrees with adobe
acrobat in saying that all fonts are embedded. So....I'm going to send
the publisher the current file and see what happens. I'm only 98% sure
that it's exactly the same as the original file I sent, so I am
slightly hopeful that it will work out better.

Thanks again for your quick responses,
David

* Re: Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-26  9:01     ` Pablo Rodríguez
From: Pablo Rodríguez @ 2008-10-26  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Wooten wrote:
> On Oct 25, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> David Wooten wrote:
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> A sad story: My context-typeset dissertation was printed/
>>> distributed by
>>> a POD publisher with aweful typographical errors (like all commas
>>> in the
>>> main font being replaced by an ff ligature). Obviously the printer
>>> didn't check their results. The file /reads/ fine both for me and the
>>> publisher, but the printer let us know that the file is unprintable
>>> due
>>> to problems with fonts not being embedded (why they originally
>>> printed
>>> an "unprintable" file I'll never know).
>>>
>>> [...]
>
> Thanks, Pablo and Luigi,
>
> I was able to run pdffonts and check my file, it agrees with adobe
> acrobat in saying that all fonts are embedded. So....I'm going to send
> the publisher the current file and see what happens. I'm only 98% sure
> that it's exactly the same as the original file I sent, so I am
> slightly hopeful that it will work out better.

Hi David,

I don't know whether this will work, but I think that the best option
would be to try to get the PDF files both from the publisher and the
printer and the check whether they are really the same (using md5sum or
sha1sum) and then check the different file(s) with pdffonts.

If the fonts are there, somehow the PDF interpreter that printed the
dissertation wasn't able to read the font itself or its mapping.

I hope it helps,

Pablo

* Re: Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-26 10:24 ` Mojca Miklavec
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-10-26 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello David,

the only thing that I can tell you: a few days/weeks ago I have
noticed that Adobe Acrobat destroys encodings of documents made by
ConTeXt when I compress the document (in order to reduce size, I tried
to downsample and compress graphics). My first impression as that this
happens because I include some PDF figures that possibly include the
same font, and Acrobat tries to compress the document by using the
same encoding for all fonts. So I get weird characters in place of
ligatures and accented letters. The problem is not easily reproducible
when trying to make a minimal example. (I did not manage to do that
yet.)

This is still on the short-term waiting list for me to figure out
which figure causes problems, though it probably won't help me much,
as it's almost definitely a bug in Acrobat. The only thing I could do
is send the file with minimal example to Adobe and then wait for ages
to resolve that bug (or try to use some other version on another
operating system).

I could easily imagine that the same kind of problem happens in print
shop, where software isn't capable of fully interpreting the PDF you
are sending there.

The same weird kind of problem also happend to my colleague when he
prepared slides in beamer (when 99% do it in Powerpoint, even though
all the slides are full of equations), and then symbols in equations
were completely screwed up (he didn't have his own laptop, and took it
from University) in Adobe reader. Absolutely no idea why this has
happened.

I could suggest you to remove images and ask the printshop to try to
print without images, but you cannot easily experiment with their
printer. Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to try to print
somewhere else.

If there are bugs in software that doesn't depend on you, there's not
much that you could do. LaTeX would most probably cause you the same
problem when using the same font.

Mojca

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM, David Wooten wrote:
> Greetings all,
> A sad story: My context-typeset dissertation was printed/distributed by a
> POD publisher with aweful typographical errors (like all commas in the main
> font being replaced by an ff ligature). Obviously the printer didn't check
> their results. The file reads fine both for me and the publisher, but the
> printer let us know that the file is unprintable due to problems with fonts
> not being embedded (why they originally printed an "unprintable" file I'll
> never know).
> Now as far as I can tell, fonts are embedded. It was made with context MKII,
> using hz and hanging punctuation, etc. When I look at the document in Adobe
> Acrobat, and check the document/font details, it gives a list of embedded
> fonts only.
> I'm not certain that the printer is in the right, but how can I tell? Is it
> possible that the pdf was altered when transferred from me to the publisher
> then to the printer? That compression of the pdf (zip) had any impact? Any
> other possibilities? What do you need to know to offer advice? ---I can send
> the file or a part of it if it is needed.
> Best,
> David

* Re: Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-26 11:32   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-10-26 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> the only thing that I can tell you: a few days/weeks ago I have
> noticed that Adobe Acrobat destroys encodings of documents made by
> ConTeXt when I compress the document (in order to reduce size, I tried
> to downsample and compress graphics). My first impression as that this
> happens because I include some PDF figures that possibly include the
> same font, and Acrobat tries to compress the document by using the
> same encoding for all fonts. So I get weird characters in place of
> ligatures and accented letters. The problem is not easily reproducible
> when trying to make a minimal example. (I did not manage to do that
> yet.)

Do you have an example ?
--
luigi

* Re: Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-26 12:33   ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2008-10-26 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/10/26 Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>:
> the only thing that I can tell you: a few days/weeks ago I have
> noticed that Adobe Acrobat destroys encodings of documents made by
> ConTeXt when I compress the document (in order to reduce size, I tried
> to downsample and compress graphics). My first impression as that this

We had a related problem with garbled characters when compressing PDF
1.6 -> 1.3 with Acrobat. 1.6 -> 1.6 works, though.

Best
   Martin

* Re: Embedded fonts question
@ 2008-10-26 13:17     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-10-26 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-10-26 13:42   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2008-10-26 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gee, I thought that the "p" in pdf stood for portable...

Alan