* Problem with itemization (again)
@ 2008-11-02 22:39 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-11-02 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

sorry to be a bit repetitive, but this still doesn't work as expected
(in MkII, but see also below):

\starttext
\startitemize[intro]
\dorecurse{12}{%
  \item \dorecurse{\recurselevel}{This is some intro. }Intro ends here.
  \startitemize[intro,columns,two]
  \dorecurse{4}{%
    \item \dorecurse{1}{This is a test. }End of the test.
  }%
  \stopitemize
}%
\stopitemize
\stoptext

(see page 2 and 3).  I guess nothing wrt. itemizations changed in the
new beta (I tested the above example in the online ConTeXt), so it's no
surprise, but I still have no clue as to the reasons and any remedies.
I use two-column itemizations *a lot*, so this is a serious problem for
me...  Any ideas how to prevent the unnecessary page break?

PS.  I have just noticed that this works correctly with luatex!!!  And
so do unpacked two-column itemizations!!!  That's just great!!!  So my
question now becomes: does this mean that MkII is just obsolete for me
and I should upgrade to MkIV?

And two more things:

1. I have noticed that "unpacked" itemization in columns has the
whitespace between items equal to one line.  Is it possible to make it
shorter, say half a line?

2. I've also noticed that the second (last?) column of itemization seems
*never* to be longer that the previous ones, which seems to be quite
reasonable, but sometimes it would be better for it to be one line
longer than two lines shorter.  Is there a way of e.g. inserting a
manual column-break within multi-column itemizations and/or letting the
last column be longer?

Sorry people for being such a nuisance, but - as I've said - I use
itemizations a lot (mainly for different kinds of problem sets for
my students or my wife's pupils;)) and these issues appear quite often.
Also, I'd like to teach a bit of ConTeXt to my wife, who would like it
to *simply work* (she's great, but no TeX hacker;)).

Greets

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

People can be divided into three groups: those who can count and those
who can't.

* Re: Problem with itemization (again)
@ 2008-11-03  0:19 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-11-03  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:39:46PM +0100, Marcin Borkowski napisał(a):
> Hi,
>
> sorry to be a bit repetitive, but this still doesn't work as expected
> (in MkII, but see also below):
>
> \starttext
> \startitemize[intro]
> \dorecurse{12}{%
>   \item \dorecurse{\recurselevel}{This is some intro. }Intro ends here.
>   \startitemize[intro,columns,two]
>   \dorecurse{4}{%
>     \item \dorecurse{1}{This is a test. }End of the test.
>   }%
>   \stopitemize
> }%
> \stopitemize
> \stoptext
>
> (see page 2 and 3).  I guess nothing wrt. itemizations changed in the
> new beta (I tested the above example in the online ConTeXt), so it's no
> surprise, but I still have no clue as to the reasons and any remedies.
> I use two-column itemizations *a lot*, so this is a serious problem for
> me...  Any ideas how to prevent the unnecessary page break?
>
> PS.  I have just noticed that this works correctly with luatex!!!  And
> so do unpacked two-column itemizations!!!  That's just great!!!  So my
> question now becomes: does this mean that MkII is just obsolete for me
> and I should upgrade to MkIV?
>
> And two more things:
>
> 1. I have noticed that "unpacked" itemization in columns has the
> whitespace between items equal to one line.  Is it possible to make it
> shorter, say half a line?

Answering myself: yes, ...[between={\blank[medium]}] works.  Is this the
best way to do it?

> 2. I've also noticed that the second (last?) column of itemization seems
> *never* to be longer that the previous ones, which seems to be quite
> reasonable, but sometimes it would be better for it to be one line
> longer than two lines shorter.  Is there a way of e.g. inserting a
> manual column-break within multi-column itemizations and/or letting the
> last column be longer?

And this remains unaswered - \column does not work...