From: Mildred Ki'Lya <ml.mildred593@online.fr>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Simple questions on fonts and how to center vertically
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:36:53 +0100	[thread overview]

Le Sun 16/11/2008 à 13:01 Wolfgang Schuster à écrit:
> You should use ConTeXt markup and try to avoid the plain TeX
> commands.

Thank you for your hists. I'll have to go through them.

In fact, I wanted as much as possible to be independent from ConTeXt
itself. In the file I typeset, I only use customized control sequences
I have defined before. It looks like:

\def\title{Title}
\def\author{Author}

\Header{
  \ifodd\pagenumber
    \hfil{\sc\title}\hfil\hfil\pagenumber\hfil
  \else
    \hfil\pagenumber\hfil\hfil{\sc\author}\hfil
  \fi
  \break
  \vbox{\hfil\hrulefill\hfil}
}

\PaperSize{C5}

\StartFrontPage
\Title{\title}
\vfil
\SubTitle{\author}
\StopFrontPage

\Chapter
\Title{Introduction}

\Chapter[1]
\Title{Chapter name}

All those control sequences are defined in another file I \input at the
beginning. This way, I can be independent from the TeX's flavour I use.

In fact, I started hating TeX (it was more LaTeX I think) because I
couldn't customize it as i wanted. I could write styles, but it was
over complicated and there was no documentation I could find.

Recently, I realized that TeX wasn't so bad. Before that, I had tried to
write TeX replacements, but I have realized then that TeX has
everything I wanted (except perhaps unicode support that luatex is
supposed to have now). It just lacked proper documentation. I decided
it was not a sufficient reason to start an alternative to TeX so I
started using TeX.

At first, I wanted to use LuaTeX (because I like Lua a lot and I need
unicode). The main problem I had was it was impossible for me to get
unicode characters right. So I switched to ConTeXt (which still used
LuaTeX but was able to display unicode as well). I still plan to
eventually move to LuaTeX when it will recognize unicode characters.

That's why I don't want to use too many ConTeXt advanced features. The
other reasons being that I want to learn low-level TeX, so perhaps one
day, I'll be able to write documentation for all those like me who like
to understand every single bit of the language they use. I don't like
having recipes I just have to apply, I want to be able to understand
what's behind.

Thanks :)

Mildred

--