* Why Garamond and Symbol are not included in TeX Gyre ?
@ 2009-01-12 13:35 Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-01-12 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think the two font families are distributed by URW in free licence?

Yue Wang

* Re: Why Garamond and Symbol are not included in TeX Gyre ?
@ 2009-01-12 14:14 ` Taco Hoekwater
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-01-12 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the two font families are distributed by URW in free licence?

The license of URW Garamond prohibits modification so it can not be
imporved upon bt the TeX Gyre project, and the Symbol font will not
benefit from Gyre-ification due to its symbolic (non-text) nature.

Bear in mind that the TeX Gyre project is a font development effort,
not a redistribution.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Why Garamond and Symbol are not included in TeX Gyre ?
@ 2009-01-12 14:20   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-01-12 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Yue Wang wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the two font families are distributed by URW in free licence?
>
> The license of URW Garamond prohibits modification so it can not be
> imporved upon bt the TeX Gyre project,

Sorry, I have to rephrase that. The license is such that any
improvements made by the TeX Gyre project could not be included
in texlive (the license prohibits commercial redistribution).
That in turn made the font family undesirable candidate for
TeX Gyre, I assume.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Why Garamond and Symbol are not included in TeX Gyre ?
@ 2009-01-12 16:27   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-01-12 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>                                        and the Symbol font will not
> benefit from Gyre-ification due to its symbolic (non-text) nature.

  Symbol fonts are basically Times-like typefaces with Greek glyphs and
some additional symbols used in math; the Greek letters are already
present in the TeX Gyre fonts, and most of the symbols should be added
as part of the TeX Gyre Math project.

	Arthur

* Re: Why Garamond and Symbol are not included in TeX Gyre ?
@ 2009-01-12 18:28   ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-01-12 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Taco,

Thanks for your clear explanation!
as had been pointed out by you,

    TeX Gyre project is a font development effort,
    not a redistribution.

So why don't we develop our own flavor of Garamond?

Yue Wang

@ 2009-01-12 18:33     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-01-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So why don't we develop our own flavor of Garamond?

  Because there is enough work with the seven typefaces that are already
being worked on?

	Arthur