* Error with TrueType flavor OpenType fonts with .otf extension
@ 2009-02-03 20:28 Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2009-02-03 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I came across an OpenType font with TrueType outline that had an .otf
extension, attempting to use it gave me this error:

!luaTeX error (file /home/khaled/.fonts/UthmanTN1_Ver06.otf): can't find
table `CFF '
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Reading OpenType specification, I see that it allows this:

    * In all cases, fonts with only CFF data (no TrueType outlines)
      always have an .OTF extension.
    * Fonts containing TrueType outlines may have either .OTF or .TTF,
      depending on the desire for backward compatibility on older
      systems or with previous versions of the font. TrueType Collection
      fonts should have a .TTC extension whether or not the fonts have
      OpenType layout tables present.

I'm not sure if this is a LuaTeX of ConTeXt issue, but my guess is that
a ConTeXt issue, thus reported here.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team

* Re: Error with TrueType flavor OpenType fonts with .otf extension
@ 2009-02-03 21:24 ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-02-03 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     * In all cases, fonts with only CFF data (no TrueType outlines)
>       always have an .OTF extension.
>     * Fonts containing TrueType outlines may have either .OTF or .TTF,
>       depending on the desire for backward compatibility on older
>       systems or with previous versions of the font. TrueType Collection
>       fonts should have a .TTC extension whether or not the fonts have
>       OpenType layout tables present.

  Yes, it's completely crazy ...

> I'm not sure if this is a LuaTeX of ConTeXt issue, but my guess is that
> a ConTeXt issue, thus reported here.

  It is indeed a ConTeXt issue.  Funny, it has already been reported,
and I thought it was fixed.

	Arthur

* Re: Error with TrueType flavor OpenType fonts with .otf extension
@ 2009-02-03 22:19 ` Hans Hagen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-02-03 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> I came across an OpenType font with TrueType outline that had an .otf
> extension, attempting to use it gave me this error:
>
> !luaTeX error (file /home/khaled/.fonts/UthmanTN1_Ver06.otf): can't find
> table `CFF '
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> Reading OpenType specification, I see that it allows this:
>
>     * In all cases, fonts with only CFF data (no TrueType outlines)
>       always have an .OTF extension.
>     * Fonts containing TrueType outlines may have either .OTF or .TTF,
>       depending on the desire for backward compatibility on older
>       systems or with previous versions of the font. TrueType Collection
>       fonts should have a .TTC extension whether or not the fonts have
>       OpenType layout tables present.
>

> I'm not sure if this is a LuaTeX of ConTeXt issue, but my guess is that
> a ConTeXt issue, thus reported here.

it's not a context message; does renaming the font work ok?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-02-03 22:34   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-02-03 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> I came across an OpenType font with TrueType outline that had an .otf
>> extension, attempting to use it gave me this error:
>>
>> !luaTeX error (file /home/khaled/.fonts/UthmanTN1_Ver06.otf): can't find
>> table `CFF '
>>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>>
>> Reading OpenType specification, I see that it allows this:
>>
>>     * In all cases, fonts with only CFF data (no TrueType outlines)
>>       always have an .OTF extension.
>>     * Fonts containing TrueType outlines may have either .OTF or .TTF,
>>       depending on the desire for backward compatibility on older
>>       systems or with previous versions of the font. TrueType Collection
>>       fonts should have a .TTC extension whether or not the fonts have
>>       OpenType layout tables present.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a LuaTeX of ConTeXt issue, but my guess is that
>> a ConTeXt issue, thus reported here.
>
> it's not a context message; does renaming the font work ok?

This happens because mkiv marks the font as opentype where it should
be treated as truetype by the subsetting backend (otherwise it gets
confused).

That means it really is somewhat of a backend issue, but the easy fix
is to either set tfmtable.format="truetype" in mkiv or to rename the
font. I'll add a tracker item to do this type discovery based on the
actual file magic, but it will have a low priority.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Error with TrueType flavor OpenType fonts with .otf extension
@ 2009-02-03 22:35   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-03 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.02.2009 um 23:19 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> I came across an OpenType font with TrueType outline that had an .otf
>> extension, attempting to use it gave me this error:
>> !luaTeX error (file /home/khaled/.fonts/UthmanTN1_Ver06.otf): can't
>> find
>> table `CFF '
>
> it's not a context message; does renaming the font work ok?

I tried it with our good old Unicode.otf fonts which has the same
problem and renaming it to *.ttf helps but as Arthur wrote, this
was fixed a while ago and is now back.

Wolfgang

* Re: Error with TrueType flavor OpenType fonts with .otf extension
@ 2009-02-03 22:38   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2009-02-03 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 11:19:54PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> I came across an OpenType font with TrueType outline that had an .otf
>> extension, attempting to use it gave me this error:
>>
>> !luaTeX error (file /home/khaled/.fonts/UthmanTN1_Ver06.otf): can't find
>> table `CFF '
>>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>>
>> Reading OpenType specification, I see that it allows this:
>>
>>     * In all cases, fonts with only CFF data (no TrueType outlines)
>>       always have an .OTF extension.
>>     * Fonts containing TrueType outlines may have either .OTF or .TTF,
>>       depending on the desire for backward compatibility on older
>>       systems or with previous versions of the font. TrueType Collection
>>       fonts should have a .TTC extension whether or not the fonts have
>>       OpenType layout tables present.
>>

>> I'm not sure if this is a LuaTeX of ConTeXt issue, but my guess is that
>> a ConTeXt issue, thus reported here.
>
> it's not a context message; does renaming the font work ok?

Yes, it seems to be all about the extension, I tried renaming some fonts
from .ttf to .otf and got the same error.

Regards,
 Khaled

--

@ 2009-02-03 23:21     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-02-03 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> That means it really is somewhat of a backend issue, but the easy fix
> is to either set tfmtable.format="truetype" in mkiv or to rename the
> font. I'll add a tracker item to do this type discovery based on the
> actual file magic, but it will have a low priority.

maybe there is something unique to the font formats in the table so that
we can catch it in the meantime

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE