* startup script stubs (for unix)
@ 2009-02-10 23:20 frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2009-02-10 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

hello gang,

after almost a year of traveling i am back.
anybody missed me? :]  thought so.

i have made the openbsd installation of context
on top of texexec3 wiki page on the context wiki
because i frequently reinstall my notebook and start
from scratch with all my software.  i realize by now
texlive is the new thing but before i make context
minimal work on openbsd i still prefer to bring
up to date context  on the much less bloated base
of tetex3.

my biggest gripe at the moment always at the end
the ruby scripts...

but this is something that could be easily changed.
i personally find the following instructions the
most helpful:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation#Ruby_scripts

at the moment, the directory
/usr/local/share/texmf-local/scripts/context/stubs/unix/
contains a bunch of scripts that are nice but unusable because

1. they dont have the x bit set

2. most of them contain something like

	texmfstart somescript "$@"

while texmfstart itself is not defined anywhere

it would be really nice if these stubs could be just dropped
as replacements for any current scripts and work out of the box.

i am not sure my proposed solution is a good one, because
frankly, except texexec i have never used any of the other
scripts..  but looking at the afore-quoted wikipage it seems
to me that the author favoured the approach of calling all
the other sripts using texexec.  the beauty of this is
that no other scripts need to be installed.

so what do you people think about the following approach:

stub for texmfstart to be put under /usr/local/bin/texmfstart:
#!/bin/sh

ruby `kpsewhich --format=texmfscripts texmfstart.rb` "$@"

stub for texexe to be put under /usr/local/bin/texexec:
#!/bin/sh

SCRIPTNAME=`basename $0`

if [ X"$SCRIPTNAME" = X"texexec" ]; then
        exec texmfstart texexec.rb "$@"
else
        exec texmfstart $SCRIPTNAME "$@"
fi

and all the other script stubs could be removed i guess...

-f
--
good words cost no more than bad.