* basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-20 22:30 Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-20 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

I have been revising my notes for newbie Mac installation of the
ConTeXt Minimals and was about to put them online when I discovered
that, when I try to process a file using MKIV, it does not find my
personal texmf folder (~Library/texmf). There is no problem when I
process the same file using MKII.

I am accessing MKIV by way of a ConTeXt-luaTeX engine in TeXShop:

(#!/bin/bash
export PATH=/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel/bin:$PATH
export TEXMFCACHE=/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-cache
context "$1"

Any suggestions or pointers will be much appreciated.

Alan

**************
My test file is:

\enableregime[utf-8]
\mainlanguage[en]

\usetypescript[serif,sans,mono,mm][hanging][normal]
\setupalign[hz,hanging]
\setupfootnotes[align={hz,hanging}]

\setupencoding[default=utf]

\usetypescript[fiee][sil-gentium]
\setupbodyfont[sil-gentium,10.5pt]

\usemodule[ancientgreek]
[font=GreekGentiumAlt,altfont=GreekDioxipe,altscale=1.03]

\starttext

\localgreek{....}

\stoptext

**************
The console reads:

This is luaTeX, Version snapshot-0.31.3
(unitest.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2009.01.18 14:39 MKIV  fmt: 2009.2.19  int: english/
english

system         : cont-new loaded
(/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-
new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-
new.mkiv) (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
base/cont-mtx.tex))
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-
fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(/Users/alancbowen/Library/texmf/tex/context/cont-sys.tex (/
Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-
tmf.tex) (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
base/type-siz.tex) (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/
tex/context/base/type-otf.tex))
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
specials       : pdftex loaded
language       : language en is active
system         : unitest.top loaded
(unitest.top) (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/
context/base/type-tmf.tex) (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-
context/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex) (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex) (/Applications/
ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-tmf.tex) (/
Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-
siz.tex) (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
base/type-otf.tex) (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/
tex/context/base/type-pre.tex)
system         : module ancientgreek not found
(unitest.tuo) (unitest.tuo)
systems        : begin file unitest at line 24
! Undefined control sequence.
l.28 \localgreek
                 {....}

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-20 22:55 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-02-20 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Alan Bowen wrote:

> I have been revising my notes for newbie Mac installation of the ConTeXt
> Minimals and was about to put them online when I discovered that, when I try
> to process a file using MKIV, it does not find my personal texmf folder
> (~Library/texmf). There is no problem when I process the same file using
> MKII.
>
> I am accessing MKIV by way of a ConTeXt-luaTeX engine in TeXShop:
>
> (#!/bin/bash
> export PATH=/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel/bin:$PATH
> export TEXMFCACHE=/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-cache
> context "$1"
>
> Any suggestions or pointers will be much appreciated.
>
> Alan

It is possible that a wrong texmf.cnf file is being read.
What is the output of

   luatools --expand-var TEXMF

and

   kpsewhich --expand-var $TEXMF

Aditya

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-20 23:07   ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-20 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya—

luatools --expand-var TEXMF gets

{/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project,/Applications/
ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-fonts,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/
texmf-local,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel,/
Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context,/Applications/
ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-extra,!!/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/
texmf}

and kpsewhich --expand-var $TEXMF gets

@ 2009-02-20 23:43     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-02-20 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Alan Bowen wrote:

> Aditya—
>
> luatools --expand-var TEXMF gets
>
> {/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-fonts,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-local,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-extra,!!/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf}
>
> and kpsewhich --expand-var $TEXMF gets
>
> {/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-fonts,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-local,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-extra,!!/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf}
>
> Alan

~/Library/texmf is not there in either list!

What is the output of HOMETEXMF (or TEXMFHOME) for both cases?

What does

kpsewhich t-ancientgreek.tex

and

luatools --localte t-ancientgreek.tex

say. I am expecting that the first will give you a path, while the second
will be empty.

Aditya

@ 2009-02-21  1:29       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-21  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya—

luatools --expand-var TEXMFHOME gets absolutely nothing, just a blank
line and then return to the the main prompt.

kpsewhich --expand-var TEXMFHOME gets TEXMFHOME

kpsewhich t-ancientgreek.tex  gets nothing

luatools --localte t-ancientgreek.tex gets a blank line and then a
return to the prompt

Alan

@ 2009-02-21  2:06       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-21  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya—

I missed these in my last message:

luatools --expand-var HOMETEXMF gets /nonexist

kpsewhich --expand-var $HOMETEXMF gets /nonexist

kpsewhich --expand-var HOMETEXMF gets HOMETEXMF

@ 2009-02-21 18:56     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-02-21 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 21, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Alan Bowen wrote:

> Aditya—
>
> luatools --expand-var TEXMF gets
>
> {/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project,/Applications/
> ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-fonts,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/
> texmf-local,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel,/
> Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context,/Applications/
> ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-extra,!!/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/
> texmf}
>
> and kpsewhich --expand-var $TEXMF gets
>
> {/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project,/Applications/
> ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-fonts,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/
> texmf-local,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel,/
> Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context,/Applications/
> ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-extra,!!/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/
> texmf}
>
> Alan

This is a problem we discussed in Bohinj, and it's good that you
remind us of its existence - we need to take a decision about this.
The file which defines the texmf-paths for the minimals on Unixoid
systems is ~/context/tex/setuptex. If you look into it, you'll see on
l. 143

export HOMETEXMF=/nonexist

Hans explained that he didn't want to have HOMETEXMF set on his
machine. Unfortunately, many users will expect HOMETEXMF to work with
the minimal installation. The normal place for it is ~/texmf (Alan,
you should move it out of ~/Library). So what can we do? Hans, is
there any workaround for you? Most users will be as baffled as Alan
when the stuff they have installed in their personal trees isn't
found. Personally, I have set up all my stuff in a
personal .miniluatex file which I source whenever I want to run
context, but I don't know how this would work with TeXShop. IMHO, the
normal ~/texmf should be included out of the box. What do others think
- Mojca?

All best

Thomas

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-22 21:00       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-22 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Thomas.

I have moved HOMETEXMF to ~/temf and have set HOMETEXMF     = ~/texmf
in my configuration file (in ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-local/web2c/).

When I first set this up with Mocja, I (we?) had HOMETEXMF     = ~/
Library/texmf.

Alan

@ 2009-02-23  5:36         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-02-23  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Alan Bowen wrote:

> Aditya—
>
> kpsewhich t-ancientgreek.tex  gets nothing
>
> luatools --localte t-ancientgreek.tex gets a blank line and then a return to
> the prompt

This is expected, since the minimals are not set up to look at
~/Library/texmf directory.

You said that there was no problem in compiling your test file with MKII.
So, MKII is finding t-ancientgreek. But kpsewhich does not find it.

When you compile the file in MKII, which t-ancientgreek is being used (the
whole path should be in the log file.

The easiest way to get everything working right now will be add you local
texmf tree at /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project.

Aditya

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-23 12:44           ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-23 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, Aditya,

> You said that there was no problem in compiling your test file with
> MKII. So, MKII is finding t-ancientgreek. But kpsewhich does not
> find it.
>
> When you compile the file in MKII, which t-ancientgreek is being
> used (the whole path should be in the log file.

/Users/alancbowen/texmf/tex/context/third/greek/t-ancientgreek.tex
(/Users/alancbowen/texmf/tex/context/third/greek/t-ancientgreek.mkii

> The easiest way to get everything working right now will be add you
> local texmf tree at /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project.

Is that all or are there some housekeeping commands that I should run
too?

  So far, have included a sym link to my local texmf directory in /
Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project. But I still get

@ 2009-02-23 14:34             ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-02-23 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Alan Bowen wrote:

> Thanks, Aditya,
>

>> You said that there was no problem in compiling your test file with MKII.
>> So, MKII is finding t-ancientgreek. But kpsewhich does not find it.
>>
>> When you compile the file in MKII, which t-ancientgreek is being used (the
>> whole path should be in the log file.
>
> /Users/alancbowen/texmf/tex/context/third/greek/t-ancientgreek.tex
> (/Users/alancbowen/texmf/tex/context/third/greek/t-ancientgreek.mkii

Notice that this is not the same as ~/Library/texmf. texexec is finding
~/texmf. Do you, by any chance, have another tex distribution, which is
being used when you run texexec? From what I understand, \usemodule[...]
cannnot find a file which cannot be found by kpsewhich, but in your case,
it seems to do so.

>> The easiest way to get everything working right now will be add you local
>> texmf tree at /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project.
>
> Is that all or are there some housekeeping commands that I should run too?

You need to run

mktexlsr (or texhash) to regenerate the file name database for mkii, and
run luatools --generate for mkiv.

> So far, have included a sym link to my local texmf directory in
> /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project. But I still get
> system         : module ancientgreek not found

Just to be sure, /Applications/ConteXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project should be
a symlink to ~/Library/texmf (rather than a sym link to ~/Library/texmf

@ 2009-02-23 16:15         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-02-23 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 22:00, Alan Bowen wrote:
> Thanks, Thomas.
>
> I have moved HOMETEXMF to ~/temf and have set HOMETEXMF     = ~/texmf in my
> configuration file (in ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-local/web2c/).
>
> When I first set this up with Mocja, I (we?) had HOMETEXMF     =
> ~/Library/texmf.

Hello,

I don't remember changing anything in this respect - HOMETEXMF has
been unchanged from original Hans' distribution.

One real problem is how to set this properly to account for different
platforms (like ~/Library/texmf in the case of Mac).

I agree that this needs to be changed and improved, I just need some
idea how to configure everything properly, so that Mac specifics will
be taken care of, and how to make this compatible with Hans' idea of
"I don't want any other files to interfere". There could be two
"setuptex"s for example, but the main thing needs to be changed inside
texmf.cnf.

I think that adding texmf.cnf to texmf-local and configuring the
settings there should work, but I didn't try.

In short: I know that this has been a problem, I'm just seeking proposals.

Mojca

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-23 17:14               ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-23 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya—

I have tried symlinks (as you indicate) and even just putting my texmf
folder into /Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project and
neither worked.

BUT putting the contents of my personal texmf folder into /
Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project did make the Greek
module accessible. But now  I get a new error message:

fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix ttf
fontnames | globbing path /Users/alancbowen/Library/Fonts/**.ttf
fontnames | globbing path /Library/Fonts/**.ttf
! LuaTeX error font loading failed for /Library/Fonts/SPIonic.ttf

Alan

@ 2009-02-23 23:49       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-02-23 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2009, at 12:07 AM, Alan Bowen wrote:
>
>> Aditya—
>>
>> luatools --expand-var TEXMF gets
>>
>> {/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-fonts,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-local,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-extra,!!/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf}
>>

>> and kpsewhich --expand-var $TEXMF gets
>>
>> {/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-fonts,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-local,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-osx-intel,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context,/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-extra,!!/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf}
>>

>> Alan
>
> This is a problem we discussed in Bohinj, and it's good that you remind
> us of its existence - we need to take a decision about this. The file
> which defines the texmf-paths for the minimals on Unixoid systems is
> ~/context/tex/setuptex. If you look into it, you'll see on l. 143
>
> export HOMETEXMF=/nonexist
>
> Hans explained that he didn't want to have HOMETEXMF set on his machine.
> Unfortunately, many users will expect HOMETEXMF to work with the minimal
> installation. The normal place for it is ~/texmf (Alan, you should move
> it out of ~/Library). So what can we do? Hans, is there any workaround
> for you? Most users will be as baffled as Alan when the stuff they have
> installed in their personal trees isn't found. Personally, I have set up
> all my stuff in a personal .miniluatex file which I source whenever I
> want to run context, but I don't know how this would work with TeXShop.
> IMHO, the normal ~/texmf should be included out of the box. What do
> others think - Mojca?

hm, needs thinking (also because we then need to cache the home path)

i have no time now to test this

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-02-25 14:19                 ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-25 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that the debris on my computer from determining the right way to
reset LM, let me restate what my luatex problems are:

Note: I have moved the contents of my personal texmf folder into
Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project

1. When I run first-setup.sh, the installation stops with the line

(/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/
lang-agr.
pat
! Duplicate pattern.
l.38 ῃ1

2. If remove texmf-project from my ConTeXtMinimals, then installation
works.

3. Since this installation will cannot find ~texmf, I have to restore
texmf-project in my ConTeXtMinimals/tex.

4. When I process a file (see below), I get the error message:

fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix ttf
fontnames | globbing path /Users/alancbowen/Library/Fonts/**.ttf
fontnames | globbing path /Library/Fonts/**.ttf
! LuaTeX error font loading failed for /Library/Fonts/SPIonic.ttf

stack traceback:
	[C]: in function '?'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:203: in
function 'identify'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:250: in
function 'method'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:225: in
function 'traverse'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:240: in
function 'identify'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:274: in
function 'load'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:282: in
function 'load'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-syn.lua:381: in
function 'resolve'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-def.lua:222: in
function 'resolve'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-def.lua:651: in
function 'read'
	...mals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/font-def.lua:767: in
function 'command_2'
	<main ctx instance>:1: in main chunk.
\lowleveldefinefont ...s ", "\@@fontfallbacks " )}
                                                   \edef \somefontspec
{at \s...
\xxdododefinefont ...efont {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                   \let
\localrelativefontsiz...
\fontstrategy ...ame #1\csname #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                   \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                   \fi \iftryingfont
\fontstr...
\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                   \relax \fi
\ifskipfontchar...
<argument> \getvalue {\@style@ \fontstyle }
                                            \edef \fontstyle
{\fontstyle }\if...
l.17 \localgreek{>'alfa ka`i b~hta}

?
Luatex (This is luaTeX, Version snapshot-0.31.3, ConTeXt  ver:
2009.01.18 14:39 MKIV) does not seem to like SPIonic. In fact neither
do I, but I need it on my box to deal with cross-platform
collaborations.

Alan

My test file is
\enableregime[utf-8]
\mainlanguage[en]

\setupencoding[default=utf]

\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]

\usetypescript[fiee][sil-gentium]
\setupbodyfont[sil-gentium,10.5pt]

\usemodule[ancientgreek]
[font=GreekGentiumAlt,altfont=GreekDioxipe,altscale=1.03]

\starttext
\localgreek{>'alfa ka`i b~hta}
\stoptext

@ 2009-02-25 14:31                   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-02-25 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Bowen wrote:

> 1. When I run first-setup.sh, the installation stops with the line
>
> (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.
> pat
> ! Duplicate pattern.
> l.38 ῃ1
> 2. If remove texmf-project from my ConTeXtMinimals, then installation works.

Most likely, some file in your personal directory (now texmf-project)
is used instead of the proper file in texmf-local. Check the terminal
output that lead up to the error for occurrences of texmf-project.

> 4. When I process a file (see below), I get the error message:
>
> fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix ttf
> fontnames | globbing path /Users/alancbowen/Library/Fonts/**.ttf
> fontnames | globbing path /Library/Fonts/**.ttf
> ! LuaTeX error font loading failed for /Library/Fonts/SPIonic.ttf

Works fine here (but I have different versions of everything)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-25 14:39                     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-02-25 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 15:31, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Alan Bowen wrote:
>
>> 4. When I process a file (see below), I get the error message:
>>
>> fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix ttf
>> fontnames | globbing path /Users/alancbowen/Library/Fonts/**.ttf
>> fontnames | globbing path /Library/Fonts/**.ttf
>> ! LuaTeX error font loading failed for /Library/Fonts/SPIonic.ttf
>
> Works fine here (but I have different versions of everything)

Alan,

can you please try to update the distribution again, with
--context=alpha? That should give you the latest luatex and ConTeXt
beta.

Mojca

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-25 14:57                   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-02-25 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 25, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:

> Now that the debris on my computer from determining the right way to
> reset LM, let me restate what my luatex problems are:
>
> Note: I have moved the contents of my personal texmf folder into
> Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project
>
> 1. When I run first-setup.sh, the installation stops with the line
>
> (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
> patterns/lang-agr.
> pat
> ! Duplicate pattern.
> l.38 ῃ1

This must be a leftover from an earlier installation, probably in your
personal tree. run

kpsewhere lang-agr.pat

and move the offending file out of the way

> 2. If remove texmf-project from my ConTeXtMinimals, then
> installation works.
>
> 3. Since this installation will cannot find ~texmf, I have to
> restore texmf-project in my ConTeXtMinimals/tex.

I would rather adjust texmf.cnf, but it doesn't matter much.

> 4. When I process a file (see below), I get the error message:

Two remarks on that:

A. As you have seen this morning, the minimals, betas, and luatex
betas are in a flux this week. If you don't have access to the most
recent luatex binary, just wait for a couple of days till things have
settled down.

> \localgreek{>'alfa ka`i b~hta}

B. As I had written before, this will not work with mkiv. ASCII input
is mkii only.

Thomas

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-02-25 15:19                     ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-25 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I removed everything from my texmf-projects folder and installed
only the contents of Thomas’ Greek module, installation was
successful.

After I replaced my old copy of SPIonic with a new one from the
Monachos website, the file processed as it should.

I will track down the error with the original texmf-folder so that I
can get the rest of my personal texmf working.

But this real progress! Many thanks,

Alan.

@ 2009-02-25 16:00                       ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-25 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mocja—

I have installed the latest (with --context=alpha) and it works fine
(both MKII and MKIV)!

All I have to do now is sort out my texmf directory—there are remnants
of an earlier versions of Thomas’ module that are causing me problems.

Very best, Alan

@ 2009-02-25 16:28                     ` Alan Bowen
From: Alan Bowen @ 2009-02-25 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas—

On Feb 25, 2009, at 09;57,18 , Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
>>
>> Now that the debris on my computer from determining the right way
>> to reset LM, let me restate what my luatex problems are:
>> Note: I have moved the contents of my personal texmf folder into
>> Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-project
>> 1. When I run first-setup.sh, the installation stops with the line
>> (/Applications/ConTeXtMinimals/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
>> patterns/lang-agr.
>> pat
>> ! Duplicate pattern.
>> l.38 ῃ1
>
> This must be a leftover from an earlier installation, probably in
> your personal tree. run
> kpsewhere lang-agr.pat
> and move the offending file out of the way

kpsewhere is getting a
  -bash: kpsewhere: command not found
reply

There is only one lang-agr.pat file on my box (in ConTeXtMinimals/tex/
texmf-context/patterns/.)

In my texmf-project/tex/context directory I have numerous type-
GREEKFONTNAME.tex files as well as an enco-agr.tex file. I see that
these are not included in t-greek 2008.08.11 , so should I remove
these files?

>> 2. If remove texmf-project from my ConTeXtMinimals, then
>> installation works.
>> 3. Since this installation will cannot find ~texmf, I have to
>> restore texmf-project in my ConTeXtMinimals/tex.
>
> I would rather adjust texmf.cnf, but it doesn't matter much.

How? I would rather just have one personal texmf folder on my box that
is accessed by MKIV as well as MKII.

>> 4. When I process a file (see below), I get the error message:
>>
> Two remarks on that:
> A. As you have seen this morning, the minimals, betas, and luatex
> betas are in a flux this week. If you don't have access to the most
> recent luatex binary, just wait for a couple of days till things
> have settled down.
>>
>> \localgreek{>'alfa ka`i b~hta}

At Mocja’s sugestion, I have already updated successfully to the
latest and greatest ( LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.35.0, ConTeXt  ver:
2009.02.25).

> B. As I had written before, this will not work with mkiv. ASCII
> input is mkii only.

Actually, it seems to be working in MKIV.

Alan

* Re: basic luatex/minimals problem
@ 2009-03-02 15:40                     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-03-02 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Thomas A. Schmitz

Please let us know (through an announcement on the mailing with a new, descriptive title) when the minimal distribution stabilizes, that is, when we should dare to update our "way too old" versions (with a reasonable hope of getting a working new version). Thanks!