On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 12:35:30PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote: > Khaled Hosny wrote: > indeed, so we're looking into it now (an dlet's forget about the > page/bodydir for the moment) > > since textdir and pardir go hand-in-hand i suggest the following > > \setuplayout[direction=r2l] % also influences general layout issues I assume that will mirror all layout elements like double sided page numbering, right and left pages etc. right? > \setupalign [r2l] % textdir and pardir > \setuparranging[direction=r2l] % will flush pages backward > > so l2r and r2l values; as they are part of the align mechanism then, > they are automatically part of all commands that have a align key This sounds very good for me. While we are in it, I'd suggest that the current implicit bidi to be revised, currently it is broken. I suggest to be implement Unicode BiDi algorithm[1], and the "higher-level protocols[2]" part is worthy investigating. Also, I think it should be decoupled from character mirroring, so that one can enable mirroring while explicitly setting text direction. Also, some characters that had assigned mirrored property in Unicode 5.0.0 has been reversed in later revisions[3] because it "affects deployed data" (the source of all evil!), this includes quotation marks, so we need to handle mirroring of those characters as part of the suggested higher-level protocols as well. [1]http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/ [2]http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr9/#Higher-Level_Protocols [3]http://unicode.org/versions/corrigendum6.html Regards, Khaled -- Khaled Hosny Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team Free font developer