* texexec slow
@ 2009-04-23  8:24 R. Bastian
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-04-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am new on this list. I use pftex and would use ConTeXt installed with texlive/2007.

'ruby' and 'pdftex' work fine, but 'texexec' (texexec.rb "$@") is very slow.

Where con I get the doc or what shall I do ?

Thanks,

--
René Bastian
1 rue du Presbytère

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-23  8:48 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found] ` <6faad9f00904230222q166fbd8cvaf90f9ed7bca15f2@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-23  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Bastian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new on this list. I use pftex and would use ConTeXt installed with texlive/2007.
>
> 'ruby' and 'pdftex' work fine, but 'texexec' (texexec.rb "$@") is very slow.

what do you do with texexec then?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-23  9:08   ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-04-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:48:35 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> scribit:

> R. Bastian wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new on this list. I use pftex and would use ConTeXt installed with texlive/2007.
> >
> > 'ruby' and 'pdftex' work fine, but 'texexec' (texexec.rb "$@") is very slow.
>
> what do you do with texexec then?

texexec --help

or

texexec  --version

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
>                                               | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec slow
       [not found]       ` <6faad9f00904230332p21279574ud33a2b508955d69c@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-04-23 12:37         ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-04-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:32:23 +0200
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> scribit:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:29, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Th script installed 158 Mb with a new 'texexec' (controlled with 'which texexec').
> >> But it is not a bit faster. After 3 min, I break (Ctrl-C) ...
> >>
> >> ruby --version => ruby 1.8.7 ... instantaneous
> >
> > ruby --version is definitely faster, but texexec --version takes about
> > a second here.
> >
> > Running a two-page document for the second time takes 3 seconds here.
> > (The first run is a bit slower.)
> >
> > Can you post the document and some logfile to the mailing list? It may
> > happen that you run into some infinite loop with one of your macros.
>
> Please also describe what platform you work on. With luatex memory
> might also be an issue, but that's probably not the case with pdftex.

I tested 'texexec' on another computer (Kubuntu 7.10, TL2007, ruby 1.8.6) and it works,
but I need it on [Debian 5.0, Gnome, ruby 1.8.7] where it fails.

> What's the time needed to run pdflatex on similar document size?

I dont know; 'first-setup.sh' erased the path to the format files ;-)
but 'pdflatex' was very clever. (I must reinstall 'texlive'.)

> Mojca

* Re: texexec slow
       [not found] ` <6faad9f00904230222q166fbd8cvaf90f9ed7bca15f2@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-04-23 14:26 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-04-23 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, R. Bastian wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new on this list. I use pftex and would use ConTeXt installed with texlive/2007.
>
> 'ruby' and 'pdftex' work fine, but 'texexec' (texexec.rb "$@") is very slow.
>
> Where con I get the doc or what shall I do ?

I do not know if this is related or not...but

Occasionally I also find that texexec is extremely slow. (Takes about a
minute to initiate and then runs fine). This happens, when my internet
connection is in a bad state (which means that ping to a server also time
out). In that situation texmfstart takes ages to get a response from drb.
Whenever I kill the process by ^C, the interupt is in  the call to drb. I
do not remember the exact interupt message, but I will try to get more
information when this happens the next time. If I avoid texmfstart, ie,
run ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb directly, it runs
fine.

Aditya

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-23 14:55   ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-04-23 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:26:40 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> scribit:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, R. Bastian wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new on this list. I use pftex and would use ConTeXt installed with texlive/2007.
> >
> > 'ruby' and 'pdftex' work fine, but 'texexec' (texexec.rb "$@") is very slow.
> >
> > Where con I get the doc or what shall I do ?
>
> I do not know if this is related or not...but
>
> Occasionally I also find that texexec is extremely slow. (Takes about a
> minute to initiate and then runs fine). This happens, when my internet
> connection is in a bad state (which means that ping to a server also time
> out). In that situation texmfstart takes ages to get a response from drb.
> Whenever I kill the process by ^C, the interupt is in  the call to drb. I
> do not remember the exact interupt message, but I will try to get more
> information when this happens the next time. If I avoid texmfstart, ie,
> run ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb directly, it runs
> fine.
>
> Aditya

"ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb <texfile>"

Haha ! with this tip I get an error message from 'pdftex' :
libstdc++.so.5 ... No such file ...

The libstdc++6 is installed. What can I do ?

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-23 15:10     ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-04-23 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:55:56 +0200
"R. Bastian" <rbastian@free.fr> scribit:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:26:40 -0400 (EDT)
> Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> scribit:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, R. Bastian wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am new on this list. I use pftex and would use ConTeXt installed with texlive/2007.
> > >
> > > 'ruby' and 'pdftex' work fine, but 'texexec' (texexec.rb "$@") is very slow.
> > >
> > > Where con I get the doc or what shall I do ?
> >
> > I do not know if this is related or not...but
> >
> > Occasionally I also find that texexec is extremely slow. (Takes about a
> > minute to initiate and then runs fine). This happens, when my internet
> > connection is in a bad state (which means that ping to a server also time
> > out). In that situation texmfstart takes ages to get a response from drb.
> > Whenever I kill the process by ^C, the interupt is in  the call to drb. I
> > do not remember the exact interupt message, but I will try to get more
> > information when this happens the next time. If I avoid texmfstart, ie,
> > run ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb directly, it runs
> > fine.
> >
> > Aditya
>

> "ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb <texfile>"
>
> Haha ! with this tip I get an error message from 'pdftex' :
> libstdc++.so.5 ... No such file ...
>
> The libstdc++6 is installed. What can I do ?

I installed libstdc++5 - now pdftex complains "cant find ... 'cont-en.fmt' "

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-23 17:32       ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2009-04-23 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:10:29 +0200
"R. Bastian" <rbastian@free.fr> scribit:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:55:56 +0200
> "R. Bastian" <rbastian@free.fr> scribit:
>
> > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:26:40 -0400 (EDT)
> > Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> scribit:

> > > I do not know if this is related or not...but
> > >
> > > Occasionally I also find that texexec is extremely slow. (Takes about a
> > > minute to initiate and then runs fine). This happens, when my internet
> > > connection is in a bad state (which means that ping to a server also time
> > > out). In that situation texmfstart takes ages to get a response from drb.
> > > Whenever I kill the process by ^C, the interupt is in  the call to drb. I
> > > do not remember the exact interupt message, but I will try to get more
> > > information when this happens the next time. If I avoid texmfstart, ie,
> > > run ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb directly, it runs
> > > fine.
> > >
> > > Aditya
> >

> > "ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb <texfile>"
> >
> > Haha ! with this tip I get an error message from 'pdftex' :
> > libstdc++.so.5 ... No such file ...
> >
> > The libstdc++6 is installed. What can I do ?
> >
> I installed libstdc++5 - now pdftex complains "cant find ... 'cont-en.fmt' "

i dont know if it is of interest for you:
- I switched back to TL2007 (now pdftex finds 'cont-en')
- texexec source.tex compiles 3 min 14 sec for 1 page of pdf
- pdftex -fmt cont-en compiles  1 sec and produces a dvi file

Thanks for your help.

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-23 17:40   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-04-23 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, R. Bastian wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new on this list. I use pftex and would use ConTeXt installed
>> with texlive/2007.
>>
>> 'ruby' and 'pdftex' work fine, but 'texexec' (texexec.rb "$@") is very
>> slow.
>>
>> Where con I get the doc or what shall I do ?
>
> I do not know if this is related or not...but
>
> Occasionally I also find that texexec is extremely slow. (Takes about a
> minute to initiate and then runs fine). This happens, when my internet

hm, there is some code in there for a distributed kpse server but as it
is not enabled by default i wonder ... anyhow, i'll remove that code

also, one can use mtxrun as dropin (but the specific aspect has a
buglet) so in upcoming distributions we will use that

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-23 21:19       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-23 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 17:10, R. Bastian wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:55:56 +0200
> "R. Bastian" scribit:
>
>> "ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb <texfile>"
>>
>> Haha ! with this tip I get an error message from 'pdftex' :
>> libstdc++.so.5 ... No such file ...

Taco, what's the state with this particular library dependency?

There are two problems:
- texexec might not always check if pdftex fails and it eats some
messages inbetween
- library dependency should be fixed

>> The libstdc++6 is installed. What can I do ?
>>
> I installed libstdc++5 - now pdftex complains "cant find ... 'cont-en.fmt' "

What about
    texexec --make --all
?

When I started using ConTeXt (2004) the average running time for
"hello world" documents was definitely somewhere between 30 seconds
and a minute. But it has improved dramaticaly over time (3 seconds in
the second run as I mentioned) whereas LaTeX runtime has increased.

But TeXLive 2007 is not so old after all, so it's still a bit strange.

> i dont know if it is of interest for you:
> - I switched back to TL2007 (now pdftex finds 'cont-en')
> - texexec source.tex compiles 3 min 14 sec for 1 page of pdf
> - pdftex -fmt cont-en compiles  1 sec and produces a dvi file

Weird. Maybe texexec does some crazy stuff, but it's a bit hard to
tell what exactly.

Mojca

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-24  6:36         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-04-24  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 17:10, R. Bastian wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:55:56 +0200
>> "R. Bastian" scribit:
>>
>>> "ruby $TEXMFCONTEXT/scripts/context/ruby/texexec.rb <texfile>"
>>>
>>> Haha ! with this tip I get an error message from 'pdftex' :
>>> libstdc++.so.5 ... No such file ...
>
> Taco, what's the state with this particular library dependency?

Not 100% sure but I think it should be better now (or at least
soon), as Thanh wrote he has updated the build script for pdftex.

One thing to remember is that to make pdftex use a static
libstdc++, the machine you are compiling pdftex on has to have
the static version of libstdc++ installed.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: texexec slow
@ 2009-04-24  9:17           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-04-24  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:36, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> Taco, what's the state with this particular library dependency?
>
> Not 100% sure but I think it should be better now (or at least
> soon), as Thanh wrote he has updated the build script for pdftex.
>
> One thing to remember is that to make pdftex use a static
> libstdc++, the machine you are compiling pdftex on has to have
> the static version of libstdc++ installed.

I have checked. There are both libstdc++5 and libstdc++5-3.3-dev
pacakges installed on Debian and locate showed both ".so" and ".a"
file, but I figured out that it also has libstdc++6 (which was not
installed).

How does pdftex building process decide which one to use in case that
both are installed?

Mojca