* Capital number when onum=yes?
@ 2009-05-10 16:25 Corsair
From: Corsair @ 2009-05-10 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

I have `onum=yes' in my font features and it works great.  But how can
I type a capital number in this case?  I want to use capital numbers
in pagenumbers.

Thanks!

Corsair Sun

--
There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: Capital number when onum=yes?
@ 2009-05-10 19:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-10 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Corsair wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have `onum=yes' in my font features and it works great.  But how can
> I type a capital number in this case?  I want to use capital numbers
> in pagenumbers.

can you be a bit more explicit?

to what extend smallcaps are implemented is font dependent

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-11  2:05   ` Corsair
From: Corsair @ 2009-05-11  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 09:44:58PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Corsair wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have `onum=yes' in my font features and it works great.  But how can
> > I type a capital number in this case?  I want to use capital numbers
> > in pagenumbers.
>
> can you be a bit more explicit?
>
> to what extend smallcaps are implemented is font dependent

Ok.  Sorry for the vagueness.  I use Adobe Caslon Pro as my body font,
with XeTeX.  And I enable the `onum' feature so that all numbers in my
document appear as old-style numbers, which is good.  But I also
prefer some of them use the normal capital number glyphs, for example,
in page numbers.  How can I do that?

--

@ 2009-05-11  6:13     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-05-11  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 11, 2009, at 4:05 AM, Corsair wrote:

> Ok.  Sorry for the vagueness.  I use Adobe Caslon Pro as my body font,
> with XeTeX.  And I enable the `onum' feature so that all numbers in my
> document appear as old-style numbers, which is good.  But I also
> prefer some of them use the normal capital number glyphs, for example,
> in page numbers.  How can I do that?

Not sure if this is the canonical way, but here's how I do it: If I
have onum=yes enabled for my normal Roman font, I disable it for my
smallcaps variant and set page numbers etc as \sc. Or am I
misunderstanding something?

Thomas

* Re: Capital number when onum=yes?
@ 2009-05-11  6:35 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-11  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 10.05.2009 um 18:25 schrieb Corsair:

> Hi all,
>
> I have `onum=yes' in my font features and it works great.  But how can
> I type a capital number in this case?  I want to use capital numbers
> in pagenumbers.

Something like (untested):

\definefontfeature[header][default][lnum=yes]

\definefont[HeaderStyle][Serif][features=header]

\setupheader[style=HeaderStyle]

Wolfgang

* Re: Capital number when onum=yes?
@ 2009-05-11  6:37       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2009-05-11  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2009-05-11 um 08:13 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

>> Ok.  Sorry for the vagueness.  I use Adobe Caslon Pro as my body
>> font,
>> with XeTeX.  And I enable the `onum' feature so that all numbers in
>> my
>> document appear as old-style numbers, which is good.  But I also
>> prefer some of them use the normal capital number glyphs, for
>> example,
>> in page numbers.  How can I do that?
>
> Not sure if this is the canonical way, but here's how I do it: If I
> have onum=yes enabled for my normal Roman font, I disable it for my
> smallcaps variant and set page numbers etc as \sc. Or am I
> misunderstanding something?

Similarly you could define an additional variant, like "noos".
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Variants

(Didn't check if font variants work ok in MkIV; I used them only for
light and medium weights before.)

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Capital number when onum=yes?
@ 2009-05-11  6:39       ` Corsair
From: Corsair @ 2009-05-11  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 08:13:59AM +0200, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Not sure if this is the canonical way, but here's how I do it: If I
> have onum=yes enabled for my normal Roman font, I disable it for my
> smallcaps variant and set page numbers etc as \sc. Or am I
> misunderstanding something?

Thanks you for the reply!  But it doesn't work for me, because small
cap numbers in Adobe Caslon Pro are themselves old-style...

--

@ 2009-05-11  6:52         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-05-11  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On May 11, 2009, at 8:39 AM, Corsair wrote:

> Thanks you for the reply!  But it doesn't work for me, because small
> cap numbers in Adobe Caslon Pro are themselves old-style...

I don't use XeTeX, but this works in mkiv:

\definefontfeature
   [mydefault]

[mode
=
node
,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,onum=yes,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes]

\definefontfeature
   [mycaps]

[mode
=node,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,lnum=yes,kern=yes,smcp=yes]

\starttypescript [serif] [caslon]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman]
[name:acaslonproregular]  [features=mydefault]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Bold]           [name:acaslonprobold]
[features=mydefault]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Italic]         [name:acaslonproitalic]
[features=mydefault]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Bold-Italic]
[name:acaslonprobolditalic] [features=mydefault]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-SmallCaps]
[name:acaslonproregular]  [features=mycaps]
  \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [caslon]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Caslon-Roman]
[features=mydefault]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Caslon-Italic]
[features=mydefault]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Caslon-Bold]
[features=mydefault]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Caslon-Bold-Italic]
[features=mydefault]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [Caslon-SmallCaps]
[features=mycaps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [Caslon]
   \definetypeface [Caslon] [rm] [serif] [caslon] [default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[Caslon]
\setupbodyfont[Caslon,12pt]

\starttext

These are oldstyle: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

{\sc These are not: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0}

\stoptext

HTH

Thomas

* Re: Capital number when onum=yes?
@ 2009-05-11  6:57   ` Corsair
From: Corsair @ 2009-05-11  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 08:35:12AM +0200, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 10.05.2009 um 18:25 schrieb Corsair:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have `onum=yes' in my font features and it works great.  But how can
> > I type a capital number in this case?  I want to use capital numbers
> > in pagenumbers.
>
> Something like (untested):
>
> \definefontfeature[header][default][lnum=yes]
>
> \definefont[HeaderStyle][Serif][features=header]
>
> \setupheader[style=HeaderStyle]

This works great!  Thanks!

--

@ 2009-05-11  6:58         ` Corsair
From: Corsair @ 2009-05-11  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 08:37:46AM +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2009-05-11 um 08:13 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:
>
> >> Ok.  Sorry for the vagueness.  I use Adobe Caslon Pro as my body
> >> font,
> >> with XeTeX.  And I enable the `onum' feature so that all numbers in
> >> my
> >> document appear as old-style numbers, which is good.  But I also
> >> prefer some of them use the normal capital number glyphs, for
> >> example,
> >> in page numbers.  How can I do that?
> >
> > Not sure if this is the canonical way, but here's how I do it: If I
> > have onum=yes enabled for my normal Roman font, I disable it for my
> > smallcaps variant and set page numbers etc as \sc. Or am I
> > misunderstanding something?
>
> Similarly you could define an additional variant, like "noos".
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Variants
>
> (Didn't check if font variants work ok in MkIV; I used them only for
> light and medium weights before.)

Wow, I didn't know about this one.  I'll see what I can do with it.

Thank you!

--

@ 2009-05-11  7:28     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-11  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Corsair wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 09:44:58PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Corsair wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have `onum=yes' in my font features and it works great.  But how can
>>> I type a capital number in this case?  I want to use capital numbers
>>> in pagenumbers.
>> can you be a bit more explicit?
>>
>> to what extend smallcaps are implemented is font dependent
>
> Ok.  Sorry for the vagueness.  I use Adobe Caslon Pro as my body font,
> with XeTeX.  And I enable the `onum' feature so that all numbers in my
> document appear as old-style numbers, which is good.  But I also
> prefer some of them use the normal capital number glyphs, for example,
> in page numbers.  How can I do that?

you can try {\subff{oldstyle} 123} (this is kind of experimental and in
testing by idris)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-11  7:32         ` Corsair
From: Corsair @ 2009-05-11  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 08:37:46AM +0200, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Similarly you could define an additional variant, like "noos".
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Font_Variants
>
> (Didn't check if font variants work ok in MkIV; I used them only for
> light and medium weights before.)

I tried this approach and failed.  I compiled the following code with
texexec --xtx, and the resulting PDF contained nothing except an
old-style page number...  Any idea?

# --------------- ConTeXt code ---------------
\definefontfeature [old] [onum=yes]
\definefontfeature [noos] [onum=no]
\definefontfeature [smcap] [smcp=yes]

\starttypescript [serif] [caslon]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman]        [file:ACaslonPro-Regular]  [features=old]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Roman-NoOs]      [file:ACaslonPro-Regular]  [features=noos]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Bold]           [file:ACaslonPro-Bold]   [features=old]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Italic]         [file:ACaslonPro-Italic]  [features=old]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-Bold-Italic]    [file:ACaslonPro-BoldItalic] [features=old]
   \definefontsynonym [Caslon-SmallCaps]      [file:ACaslonPro-Regular]  [features=smcap]
  \stoptypescript

\starttypescript [serif] [caslon] [name]
   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [Caslon-Roman]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]     [Caslon-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]       [Caslon-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic] [Caslon-Bold-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifCaps]       [Caslon-SmallCaps]

   \definefontvariant [Serif][noos][NoOs]

   \definefontsynonym [SerifRegular]       [Serif]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifRegularNoOs]       [Caslon-Roman-NoOs]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifItalicNoOs]     [Caslon-Italic]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldNoOs]       [Caslon-Bold]
   \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalicNoOs] [Caslon-Bold-Italic]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[caslon]

\starttypescript [prof]
  \definetypeface [prof] [rm] [serif] [caslon] [default]
\stoptypescript

\usetypescript[prof]
\setupbodyfont[prof, 12pt]

\starttext
{\Var[noos] 1234567890}
\stoptext

# --------------- End of ConTeXt code---------------

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode: context
%%% TeX-PDF-mode: t
%%% End:

--

@ 2009-05-11  7:40       ` Corsair
From: Corsair @ 2009-05-11  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:28:27AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> you can try {\subff{oldstyle} 123} (this is kind of experimental and in
> testing by idris)

Oops...  Doesn't work.  It just produces the word "oldstyle" followed
by "123".  Maybe my ConTeXt is too old?

    ConTeXt  ver: 2008.05.21 15:21 MKII  fmt: 2008.10.29

--

@ 2009-05-11  7:50         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-05-11  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Corsair wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:28:27AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> you can try {\subff{oldstyle} 123} (this is kind of experimental and in
>> testing by idris)
>
> Oops...  Doesn't work.  It just produces the word "oldstyle" followed
> by "123".  Maybe my ConTeXt is too old?
>
>     ConTeXt  ver: 2008.05.21 15:21 MKII  fmt: 2008.10.29

indeed ... very ancient esp with respect to otf (also, \setff only work
in mkiv)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-05-11  7:51         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-11  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.05.2009 um 09:40 schrieb Corsair:

> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:28:27AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> you can try {\subff{oldstyle} 123} (this is kind of experimental
>> and in
>> testing by idris)
>
> Oops...  Doesn't work.  It just produces the word "oldstyle" followed
> by "123".  Maybe my ConTeXt is too old?

No, it works only in MkIV.

Wolfgang