What is the "official" way to reset footnote numbering by chapter? \setupnote[footnote][way=bychapter] has no effect, searching the mailing list I found \setupnumber[footnote][way=bychapter] which works only with MkIV, so is there a MkII equivalent (I don't use MkII myself, but just to document it in the wiki). \setupnumber[footnote][way=bychapter] works fine except when I use frontmatter environment, after removing the start/stopfrontmatter from this example, footnotes will reset by chapter, or if I put \setupnumber[footnote][way=bychapter] inside one of the chapters. \starttext \setupnumber[footnote][way=bychapter] \startfrontmatter \chapter{One} \input knuth\footnote{chapter one} \chapter{Two} \input knuth\footnote{chapter two} \stopfrontmatter \stoptext Regards, Khaled -- Khaled Hosny Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team Free font developer