* Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 13:50 Derek CORDEIRO
From: Derek CORDEIRO @ 2009-07-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have downloaded and installed the typescripts from
http://modules.contextgarden.net

In myTeX file, I have at the beginning of the file:

\usetypescriptfile[type-linuxlibertine]
\usetypescript[linuxlibertine]
\setupbodyfont[linuxlibertine,12pt]

The following is a part of the context output.

)
(/home/derek/context/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/third/typescripts/type-linuxlibertine.tex
(/home/derek/context/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/third/typescripts/type-linuxlibertine.mkiv))
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix otf
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix OTF
fontnames | 161 tree files identified, 161 hash entries added, runtime 0.244
seconds
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix ttf
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix TTF
fontnames | 5 tree files identified, 5 hash entries added, runtime 0.215
seconds
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix ttc
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix TTC
fontnames | 0 tree files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime 0.208
seconds
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix afm
fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix AFM
fontnames | 76 tree files identified, 65 hash entries added, runtime 0.336
seconds
fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix otf
fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix OTF
fontnames | 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime 0.000
seconds
fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix ttf
fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix TTF
fontnames | 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime 0.000
seconds
fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix ttc
fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix TTC
fontnames | 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime 0.000
seconds
fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix afm
fontnames | identifying system font files with suffix AFM
fontnames | 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime 0.000
seconds
define font | font with name Linux Libertine O is not found
define font | unknown font Linux Libertine O, loading aborted
define font | unable to define Linux Libertine O as
\*linuxlibertine12ptrmtf*

Output of the command «fc-list | grep "Linux Libertine"» is as follows

Linux Libertine:style=Bold
Linux Libertine O:style=Bold Italic
Linux Libertine O C:style=Regular
Linux Libertine O:style=Regular
Linux Libertine C:style=Regular
Linux Libertine U:style=Regular
Linux Libertine O:style=Italic
Linux Libertine:style=Italic
Linux Libertine:style=Bold Italic
Linux Libertine O:style=Bold
Linux Libertine:style=Regular

ConTeXt  ver: 2009.07.22 21:46 MKIV  fmt: 2009.7.23  int: english/english

What am I doing wrong?

Help would be much appreciated,
Derek

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 14:21 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2009-07-23 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 07:20:48PM +0530, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> [...]
> fontnames | 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime 0.000
> seconds
> define font | font with name Linux Libertine O is not found
> define font | unknown font Linux Libertine O, loading aborted
> define font | unable to define Linux Libertine O as \*linuxlibertine12ptrmtf*
>
> Output of the command «fc-list | grep "Linux Libertine"» is as follows
>
> Linux Libertine:style=Bold
> Linux Libertine O:style=Bold Italic
> Linux Libertine O C:style=Regular
> Linux Libertine O:style=Regular
> Linux Libertine C:style=Regular
> Linux Libertine U:style=Regular
> Linux Libertine O:style=Italic
> Linux Libertine:style=Italic
> Linux Libertine:style=Bold Italic
> Linux Libertine O:style=Bold
> Linux Libertine:style=Regular
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.07.22 21:46 MKIV  fmt: 2009.7.23  int: english/english

ConTeXt doesn't use fontconfig for detecting installed fonts, try to set
OSFONTDIR to point where your fonts are, then run:
mtxrun -script fonts -reload

Hans, is it possible to read fontconfig files to detect font directories
on linux, it is xml files and we would be interested in <dir> and
<include> tags only.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 14:34   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-23 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Linux Libertine:style=Bold
>> Linux Libertine O:style=Bold Italic
>> Linux Libertine O C:style=Regular
>> Linux Libertine O:style=Regular
>> Linux Libertine C:style=Regular
>> Linux Libertine U:style=Regular
>> Linux Libertine O:style=Italic
>> Linux Libertine:style=Italic
>> Linux Libertine:style=Bold Italic
>> Linux Libertine O:style=Bold
>> Linux Libertine:style=Regular
>>
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.07.22 21:46 MKIV  fmt: 2009.7.23  int: english/english
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>
> ConTeXt doesn't use fontconfig for detecting installed fonts, try to set
> OSFONTDIR to point where your fonts are, then run:
> mtxrun -script fonts -reload
>
> Hans, is it possible to read fontconfig files to detect font directories
> on linux, it is xml files and we would be interested in <dir> and

it does, given that the file can be found someplace in the tree (i added
a log message so that one can see of it is found)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 14:35   ` Derek CORDEIRO
From: Derek CORDEIRO @ 2009-07-23 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny@eglug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 07:20:48PM +0530, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have downloaded and installed the typescripts from http://
> > modules.contextgarden.net
> >
> > In myTeX file, I have at the beginning of the file:
> >
> > \usetypescriptfile[type-linuxlibertine]
> > \usetypescript[linuxlibertine]
> > \setupbodyfont[linuxlibertine,12pt]
> >
> > The following is a part of the context output.
> >
> > ) (/home/derek/context/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/third/typescripts/
> > type-linuxlibertine.tex
> (/home/derek/context/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/third/
> > typescripts/type-linuxlibertine.mkiv))
> > fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix otf
> > fontnames | identifying tree font files with suffix OTF
> .
> .
> .
> > define font | font with name Linux Libertine O is not found
> > define font | unknown font Linux Libertine O, loading aborted
> > define font | unable to define Linux Libertine O as
> \*linuxlibertine12ptrmtf*
> >
> > Output of the command «fc-list | grep "Linux Libertine"» is as follows
> >
> > Linux Libertine:style=Bold
> > Linux Libertine O:style=Bold Italic
> > Linux Libertine O C:style=Regular
> > Linux Libertine O:style=Regular
> > Linux Libertine C:style=Regular
> > Linux Libertine U:style=Regular
> > Linux Libertine O:style=Italic
> > Linux Libertine:style=Italic
> > Linux Libertine:style=Bold Italic
> > Linux Libertine O:style=Bold
> > Linux Libertine:style=Regular
> >
> > ConTeXt  ver: 2009.07.22 21:46 MKIV  fmt: 2009.7.23  int: english/english
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> ConTeXt doesn't use fontconfig for detecting installed fonts, try to set
> OSFONTDIR to point where your fonts are, then run:
> mtxrun -script fonts -reload

derek@derek-desktop:~$ echo $OSFONTDIR
/home/derek/.fonts
derek@derek-desktop:~$ ls /home/derek/.fonts/Lin*
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertine_Bd-4.1.0.otf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertine_Bd-4.1.0.ttf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertine_BI-4.0.5.otf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertine_BI-4.0.5.ttf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertineC_Re-4.0.3.otf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertineC_Re-4.0.3.ttf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertine_It-4.0.6.otf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertine_It-4.0.6.ttf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.otf
/home/derek/.fonts/LinLibertine_Re-4.4.1.ttf
derek@derek-desktop:~$ mtxrun -script fonts --reload
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix otf
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix OTF
MTXrun | fontnames: 161 tree files identified, 161 hash entries added,
runtime 0.229 seconds
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix ttf
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix TTF
MTXrun | fontnames: 5 tree files identified, 5 hash entries added, runtime
0.205 seconds
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix ttc
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix TTC
MTXrun | fontnames: 0 tree files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime
0.226 seconds
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix afm
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying tree font files with suffix AFM
MTXrun | fontnames: 76 tree files identified, 65 hash entries added, runtime
0.389 seconds
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix otf
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix OTF
MTXrun | fontnames: 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime
0.000 seconds
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix ttf
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix TTF
MTXrun | fontnames: 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime
0.000 seconds
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix ttc
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix TTC
MTXrun | fontnames: 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime
0.000 seconds
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix afm
MTXrun | fontnames: identifying system font files with suffix AFM
MTXrun | fontnames: 0 system files identified, 0 hash entries added, runtime
0.000 seconds

derek@derek-desktop:~$ mtxrun -script fonts -list|grep Lin

The above command gives no output

Still clueless, Derek

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 14:39     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2009-07-23 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 04:34:37PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>> ConTeXt doesn't use fontconfig for detecting installed fonts, try to set
>> OSFONTDIR to point where your fonts are, then run:
>> mtxrun -script fonts -reload
>>
>> Hans, is it possible to read fontconfig files to detect font directories
>> on linux, it is xml files and we would be interested in <dir> and
>> <include> tags only.
>
> it does, given that the file can be found someplace in the tree (i added
> a log message so that one can see of it is found)

The standard places for fontconfig files are ~/fonts.conf and
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf, any other file is included from there, so may be
it should check for those two by default (if it doesn't already).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 14:45     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2009-07-23 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:05:11PM +0530, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> derek@derek-desktop:~$ mtxrun -script fonts -list|grep Lin
>
> The above command gives no output
>
> Still clueless, Derek

ConTeXt normalizes fontnames to lower case, 'grep -i'.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 15:00       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-07-23 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:05:11PM +0530, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
>> derek@derek-desktop:~$ mtxrun -script fonts -list|grep Lin
>>
>> The above command gives no output

Did you run mtxrun --script fonts --reload?

>> Still clueless, Derek
>
> ConTeXt normalizes fontnames to lower case, 'grep -i'.

You can also do

mtxrun --script fonts --list "*lib*"

Aditya

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 15:04       ` Derek CORDEIRO
From: Derek CORDEIRO @ 2009-07-23 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny@eglug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:05:11PM +0530, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> > derek@derek-desktop:~$ mtxrun -script fonts -list|grep Lin
> >
> > The above command gives no output
> >
> > Still clueless, Derek

Got it to work by adding the fonts to $TEXMF/fonts/opentype

> ConTeXt normalizes fontnames to lower case, 'grep -i'.

Not really, output of «mtxrun -script fonts -list|grep Lin»
------------
linbiolinum                      Linux Biolinum
Biolinum_Re.ttf
linbiolinumb                     Linux Biolinum Bold
Biolinum_Bd.ttf
linbiolinumo                     Linux Biolinum O
Biolinum_Re.otf
linbiolinumob                    Linux Biolinum O Bold
Biolinum_Bd.otf
linlibertine                     Linux Libertine
LinLibertine_Re.ttf
linlibertineb                    Linux Libertine Bold
LinLibertine_Bd.ttf
linlibertinebi                   Linux Libertine Bold Italic
LinLibertine_BI.ttf
linlibertinec                    Linux Libertine Capitals
LinLibertineC_Re.ttf
linlibertinei                    Linux Libertine Italic
LinLibertine_It.ttf
linlibertineo                    Linux Libertine O
LinLibertine_Re.otf
linlibertineob                   Linux Libertine O Bold
LinLibertine_Bd.otf
linlibertineobi                  Linux Libertine O Bold Italic
LinLibertine_BI.otf
linlibertineoc                   Linux Libertine O Capitals
LinLibertineC_Re.otf
linlibertineoi                   Linux Libertine O Italic
LinLibertine_It.otf
linuxbiolinum                    Linux Biolinum
Biolinum_Re.ttf
linuxbiolinumbold                Linux Biolinum Bold
Biolinum_Bd.ttf
linuxbiolinumo                   Linux Biolinum O
Biolinum_Re.otf
linuxbiolinumobold               Linux Biolinum O Bold
Biolinum_Bd.otf
linuxlibertine                   Linux Libertine
LinLibertine_Re.ttf
linuxlibertinebold               Linux Libertine Bold
LinLibertine_Bd.ttf
linuxlibertinebolditalic         Linux Libertine Bold Italic
LinLibertine_BI.ttf
linuxlibertinecapitals           Linux Libertine Capitals
LinLibertineC_Re.ttf
linuxlibertineitalic             Linux Libertine Italic
LinLibertine_It.ttf
linuxlibertineo                  Linux Libertine O
LinLibertine_Re.otf
linuxlibertineobold              Linux Libertine O Bold
LinLibertine_Bd.otf
linuxlibertineobolditalic        Linux Libertine O Bold Italic
LinLibertine_BI.otf
linuxlibertineocapitals          Linux Libertine O Capitals
LinLibertineC_Re.otf
linuxlibertineoitalic            Linux Libertine O Italic
LinLibertine_It.otf
-----------

Thanks anyway :)

P.S. I had to rename the fonts from LinLibertine_Bd-4.1.0.otf to
LinLibertine_Bd.otf

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 16:07       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-23 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 04:34:37PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>> ConTeXt doesn't use fontconfig for detecting installed fonts, try to set
>>> OSFONTDIR to point where your fonts are, then run:
>>> mtxrun -script fonts -reload
>>>
>>> Hans, is it possible to read fontconfig files to detect font directories
>>> on linux, it is xml files and we would be interested in <dir> and
>>> <include> tags only.
>> it does, given that the file can be found someplace in the tree (i added
>> a log message so that one can see of it is found)
>
> The standard places for fontconfig files are ~/fonts.conf and
> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, any other file is included from there, so may be
> it should check for those two by default (if it doesn't already).

no, not there but before I even start thinking about adding that we need
to investigate all places as i'm pretty sure that on the mac it's
different (somehow 'standard' in practice is never 'standard') and
there's also the order to consider, one, more, and in what order then

(personally i always keep font sthat i use in tex in the tex tree if
only to make sure that after an os update i still have them/the same ones)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 16:43         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2009-07-23 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 06:07:37PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Khaled Hosny wrote:

>>> it does, given that the file can be found someplace in the tree (i
>>> added  a log message so that one can see of it is found)
>>
>> The standard places for fontconfig files are ~/fonts.conf and
>> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, any other file is included from there, so may be
>> it should check for those two by default (if it doesn't already).
>
> no, not there but before I even start thinking about adding that we need
> to investigate all places as i'm pretty sure that on the mac it's
> different (somehow 'standard' in practice is never 'standard') and
> there's also the order to consider, one, more, and in what order then

What I wrote above is for linux (I assumed the code is checks for OS and
sets default font paths), /etc/fonts/font.conf is read first followed by
any files included from it, then ~/.fonts.conf so that user can override
system settings.
(http://www.fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html has more details)

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 16:50         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2009-07-23 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 08:34:43PM +0530, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> P.S. I had to rename the fonts from LinLibertine_Bd-4.1.0.otf to
> LinLibertine_Bd.otf

Right, this a bug that I discovered while ago but forgot to report,
fonts with dots in its name don't get recognised.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Linux Libertine type
@ 2009-07-23 17:24           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-07-23 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 06:07:37PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Khaled Hosny wrote:

>>> The standard places for fontconfig files are ~/fonts.conf and
>>> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf, any other file is included from there, so may be
>>> it should check for those two by default (if it doesn't already).
>> no, not there but before I even start thinking about adding that we need
>> to investigate all places as i'm pretty sure that on the mac it's
>> different (somehow 'standard' in practice is never 'standard') and
>> there's also the order to consider, one, more, and in what order then
>
> What I wrote above is for linux (I assumed the code is checks for OS and
> sets default font paths), /etc/fonts/font.conf is read first followed by
> any files included from it, then ~/.fonts.conf so that user can override
> system settings.
> (http://www.fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html has more details)

well, even the user file has to be specified so we can

- first look for a config file in the tex tree
- and if not found then load the etc one

i've added some logic to the locator but i didn't not test it (the linux
servers are production machines that i don't want to touch and i have no
time anyway)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE