Hi all, > foo = bar > | baz it seems I found some sort of a solution. Using the \setwidthof I found at [1], I wrote the following: \def\setwidthof#1\to#2% {\bgroup \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{#1}% \expanded{\egroup\def\noexpand#2{\the\wd\scratchbox}}} foo = bar \setwidthof{foo }\to\alignwidth \hskip\alignwidth| baz This works, but is not so pretty, obviously. Since I'm using a custom pretty printer, I can probably hack something up that generates this from the more natural form automatically. Still, I'm wondering if there are more pretty methods to do this. In particular, this method is completely limited to indents at the start of a line (e.g., aligning the b's of bar and baz isn't possible, though I could perhs do more complicated math using the width of "| ", but that will become even more hideous... Any other suggestions? Gr. Matthijs [1]: http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/037404.html