From: Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Page Numbering Hell
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:13:55 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Bryant,

Your post is slightly exaggerated.
The document structure that you want to produce
appears to be relatively standard. Whereas,
indeed, the learning curve for ConTeXt (as for TeX)
can be somewhat slow, the richness and powerfulness
is well worth the effort.

The documentation for ConTeXt (mkii) is quite rich,
although it did take me some time to get used to
the presentation and style. Some of the syntax
has evolved in mkiv, mostly in an effort of
simplification, but also to allow some powerful
new features. The documentation is (slowly)
being updated, as this is a tremendous effort.
But it is a necessary effort. I believe that
all of us users will appreciate the updated
reference manual when it is completed!

A notable change between mkii and mkiv
is the handling of document structure.
I, too, have had a difficult time with this evolution
of such a fundamental functionality and will
therefore let someone more expert reply to
your request with specific examples on how
to tune the style, notably page numbering;
it should be a simple matter.

Alan

% missing setups to:
% 1. frontmatter pagenumbering conversion=romannumerals
% 2. bodymatter pagenumbering "chapter-page"
% 3. reset pagenumber for each chapter
% 4. add blank pages if necessary to start chapters on odd pages.

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
\completecontent
\stopfrontmatter