From: Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Page Numbering Hell
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:42:22 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 18:52:21 Bryant Eastham wrote:

> 1. Should I use mkii or mkiv? If mkii, then what should I plan on as
> schedule for upgrading?

I asked this question recently and was told that it was
probably pretty safe now to use mkiv, "as the developers
use mkiv themselves".

My experience is that mkiv is not totally stable,
but almost so. I try to use it for my production
as much as possible. For the core of the commands,
the two are interchangable and it is simply a question
of using the "context" script or the "texexec" script
(but don't include a
% output=pdftex
line in your source file!)
For specific differences, you can use
\doifmodeelse{mkiv}{ }{ }

This also answers 2.

> 3. What *reference* material exists? I do not need a user guide. Right
> now it has been Google. However, the solutions most recently mentioned
> on the mailing lists seem to dead-end. I am fine with an answer of "see
> the source code" if that is really it.

Did you look at the "user guide"? It is a reference manual
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-eni.pdf
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/cont-enp.pdf
The first is a "screen" version, the second a "paper" format.
(and called context-reference or contextref.pdf on the svn)

A rich source is:
http://www.pragma-ade.com/overview.htm