From: John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Producing PDF x/1-a:2001 output.
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:48:32 -0400	[thread overview]

<john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > At least two commercial printers that I use prefer or insist on
the
> > format PDF X/1-a:2001 output. The only way I have found to
> > produce such in TeX without a pass through Adobe Acrobat
> > Distiller or the shareware program Pstill is via the package
> > pdfx.sty
> > authored by  CV Radhakrishnan  and  Han The Thanh. This in
turn
> > uses some other files such as xmpincl.sty.
> >
> > I wonder if this setup could be incorporated into some flavor
of
> > Context?  Or even pdftex? I prefer not to live within the
strictures
> > of pdflatex.
>
> is not Ghostscript  OK ?
> (I have seen
> http://www.ghostscript.com/pipermail/gs-devel/2009-
September/008566.html)
Yes, I started that thread also.  It seems that the spec can be met
via Ghostscript. What is also needed is the internal labeling of the
file as pdf X/1-a:2001, and some xml add-ins.

The prepress staff will look at the file and if it is not labeled
correctly run it through Distiller, which can degrade text and
barcodes  by converting them to bitmaps.  LSI  handles hundreds
of pdf cover files each week, many of which are out of spec. If it
does not look  like X/1-a:2001 they will bitmap it, and in the
process mess it up to a degree, or so I am told.  So getting the file
within spec is necessary but it also has to look like it is in spec.
Their Customer Service Rep specifically mentioned Ghostscript as
producing non-acceptable pdf files.

This is not the only hoop to be leapt through in dealing with LSI.
they have a limit on total ink coverage that is more restrictive
than the usual formulation for CMYK rich black. They want only
%240 total coverage so I cobbled up  CMYK 60,40,40,100 which
adds up to 240%.  In brief, they are a royal pain. But they have a
near-monopoly on POD printing for bookstores in the US and their
pricing for Amazon beats anyone including Amazon's own subsidy
Createspace.

Hans:
The needed files and the documentation for pdfx.sty are located
here:
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/pdfx/

The files in the package include:

README