Running it gives: $ mtxrun -script texworks -start MTXrun | unable to locate TeXworks Though I've texworks on my path: $ which texworks /usr/bin/texworks I found that the file.split_path(os.getenv("PATH")) call returns a table with single member containing the full PATH variable (it assumes it is a semicolon separated list, but on linux it is a colon separated list). Even after getting around this, the executable name it is looking for is 'TeXworks' while it should be 'texworks'. Regards, Khaled -- Khaled Hosny Arabic localiser and member of Arabeyes.org team Free font developer