* inothermargin overlaps
@ 2009-12-02 10:45 Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-12-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've been using \inmargin to put some stuff in the margin of my text, but when
I use multiple \inmargin's close together, the stuff in the margin will
overlap. Is there any way to let ConTeXt just move things down to prevent
overlap?

I'm not forced to move my \inmargin's around, guessing where the line wraps
will be, which is not quite elegant and a lot of work...

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: inothermargin overlaps
@ 2009-12-02 10:47 ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-12-02 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

W00ps, forgot to include the testcase I made:

\starttext
Foo \inmargin{Blerf} Bar \inmargin {Baz}
\stoptext

* Re: inothermargin overlaps
@ 2009-12-02 10:55   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-12-02 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs@stdin.nl> wrote:
> W00ps, forgot to include the testcase I made:
>
> \starttext
> Foo \inmargin{Blerf} Bar \inmargin {Baz}
> \stoptext
Your code is ok

Try
\starttext
Foo Baz \inmargin {Blerf \\ Baz}
\stoptext

\starttext
Foo Baz \inmargin {Blerf  Baz}
\stoptext

--
luigi

* Re: inothermargin overlaps
@ 2009-12-02 11:21     ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-12-02 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Try
> \starttext
> Foo Baz \inmargin {Blerf \\ Baz}
> \stoptext
Hmm, that might work, but my real case is slightly more complicated. I have
the \inmargin wrapped in a \refdef command, that references some topic on some
page. So I say \refdef{foo} and it looks up both the text and page number for
foo and puts that into the margin.

I could probably complicate my \refdef command into taking multiple references
at the same time. However, that will still require me to merge those commands
when they are close together, which might mean some of the rerefences are not
in their logical place anymore. For example:

  Some short paragraph referencing foo. \refdef{foo}

  And another paragraph refering bar. \refdef{bar}

This has the references in the logical places. With your suggestions, I must
change this to:

  Some short paragraph referencing foo. \refdef{foo,bar}

  And another paragraph refering bar.

Which is more error prone when I start moving around text... So, it's a
workable solution, but it's not quite ideal yet...

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: inothermargin overlaps
@ 2009-12-02 15:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-12-02 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using \inmargin to put some stuff in the margin of my text, but when
> I use multiple \inmargin's close together, the stuff in the margin will
> overlap. Is there any way to let ConTeXt just move things down to prevent
> overlap?
>
> I'm not forced to move my \inmargin's around, guessing where the line wraps
> will be, which is not quite elegant and a lot of work...

try to set

% \setupinmargin[left][sidemethod=2]
% \setupinmargin[left][sidemethod=3]
% \setupinmargin[left][sidemethod=4]