* including xml files
@ 2010-03-03 13:28 Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-03 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi all,

what is the recommended way of including an xml tree from one file in
another?  Right now I'm stuck with the following

\startxmlsetups xml:inc
    \xmlprocessfile{inc}{\xmlatt{#1}{file}}{}
\stopxmlsetups

combined with <inc file="inc.xml"/> in the xml source.  But although the
content of inc.xml is processed the headings it contains don't show up
in the toc (there _is_ an entry for them and a page reference as well
but no title).

Personally, I'd prefer some include method like file entities (<!ENTITY
inc SYSTEM "inc.xml">) but they don't seem to work.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re: including xml files
@ 2010-03-07 10:14 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-07 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1493 bytes --]

Hi again,

now that everybody should be back from DANTE2010, I'll try that one
again:
> what is the recommended way of including an xml tree from one file in
> another?  Right now I'm stuck with the following
[ ... ] snip

> Personally, I'd prefer some include method like file entities (<!ENTITY
> inc SYSTEM "inc.xml">) but they don't seem to work.

My latest try was \xmlinclude but that didn't work either.  When I have
the following setups

\startxmlsetups xml:afile
    \section{Filename \xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    %\xmlinclude{test} {  }          {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    %\xmlinclude{test} {/*}          {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    %\xmlinclude{test} {/sect}       {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    %\xmlinclude{test} {/sect/title} {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    \xmlinclude{test} {sect}        {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
\stopxmlsetups

Where “test” is the name of the document to be processed and "sect” is
the outermost node from the included file.

This produces nothing, but try uncommenting some lines: context fails
with a lua error.  Why this?  xml-mkiv says that the second argument to
\xmlinclude should be an lpath from “file” and <sect> is the first node
in the file (I'll attach it).

Is there anybody who could provide a working example of \xmlinclude or
reveal The Right Way of Including XML to me?

Thanks for any help,

Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: testenv.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 1501 bytes --]

\enabletrackers[xml.entities]
\enabletrackers[xml.parse]
\enabletrackers[xml.path]
\enabletrackers[xml.profile]
\enabletrackers[xml.remap]
\enabletrackers[lxml.access]
\enabletrackers[lxml.comments]
\enabletrackers[lxml.loading]
\enabletrackers[lxml.manipulations]
\enabletrackers[lxml.setups]

\startxmlsetups xml:testsetups
    \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{*}{-}
    \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{body|afile|title|sect|content}{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:testsetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:body
    \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:sect
    \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:title
    \chapter{\xmlflush{#1}}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:content
    \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:afile
    \section{Filename \xmlatt{#1}{file}}

    %\xmlinclude{test} {  }          {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    %\xmlinclude{test} {/*}          {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    %\xmlinclude{test} {/sect}       {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    %\xmlinclude{test} {/sect/title} {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
    \xmlinclude{test} {sect}       {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
\stopxmlsetups

%\xmlprependsetup{xml:afile}  % from lxml-ini.mkiv, fails

\setuphead[chapter][page=no]

\starttext

\startbuffer
<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <afile href="inc.xml" file="inc.xml"/>
\stopbuffer

\xmlprocessbuffer{test}{}{}

\stoptext

% vim:ft=context

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: inc.xml --]
[-- Type: application/xml, Size: 121 bytes --]

@ 2010-03-07 12:52   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-07 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Hi again,
>

> now that everybody should be back from DANTE2010, I'll try that one
> again:
>> what is the recommended way of including an xml tree from one file in
>> another?  Right now I'm stuck with the following
> [ ... ] snip
>> Personally, I'd prefer some include method like file entities (<!ENTITY
>> inc SYSTEM "inc.xml">) but they don't seem to work.
>
> My latest try was \xmlinclude but that didn't work either.  When I have
> the following setups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:afile
>     \section{Filename \xmlatt{#1}{file}}
>     %\xmlinclude{test} {  }          {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
>     %\xmlinclude{test} {/*}          {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
>     %\xmlinclude{test} {/sect}       {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
>     %\xmlinclude{test} {/sect/title} {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
>     \xmlinclude{test} {sect}        {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> Where “test” is the name of the document to be processed and "sect” is
> the outermost node from the included file.
>
> This produces nothing, but try uncommenting some lines: context fails
> with a lua error.  Why this?  xml-mkiv says that the second argument to
> \xmlinclude should be an lpath from “file” and <sect> is the first node
> in the file (I'll attach it).
>
> Is there anybody who could provide a working example of \xmlinclude or
> reveal The Right Way of Including XML to me?

I don't pretend to understand all of XML processing, but I believe
\xmlinclude works like this: take the file that is pointed to by
the named attribute #3 from the node pointed to by lpath #2 in
tree #1.

So in this case, you would have \xmlinclude{test}{afile}{file}.

But I have no idea what then happens with the generated tree :-/

To actually make use of inc.xml in the current document, perhaps
\xmlprocessfile is what you are after?

   \startxmlsetups xml:afile
     \section{Filename \xmlatt{#1}{file}}
     \xmlprocessfile {test2} {\xmlatt{#1}{file}} {}
   \stopxmlsetups

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: including xml files
@ 2010-03-07 17:29     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-07 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening,

On 2010-03-07 <13:52:34>, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >\startxmlsetups xml:afile
> >    \section{Filename \xmlatt{#1}{file}}
> >    %\xmlinclude{test} {  }          {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
> >    %\xmlinclude{test} {/*}          {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
> >    %\xmlinclude{test} {/sect}       {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
> >    %\xmlinclude{test} {/sect/title} {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
> >    \xmlinclude{test} {sect}        {\xmlatt{#1}{file}}
> >\stopxmlsetups
> >
> >Where “test” is the name of the document to be processed and "sect” is
> >the outermost node from the included file.
> >
> >This produces nothing, but try uncommenting some lines: context fails
> >with a lua error.  Why this?  xml-mkiv says that the second argument to
> >\xmlinclude should be an lpath from “file” and <sect> is the first node
> >in the file (I'll attach it).
>
> I don't pretend to understand all of XML processing, but I believe
> \xmlinclude works like this: take the file that is pointed to by
> the named attribute #3 from the node pointed to by lpath #2 in
> tree #1.

> So in this case, you would have \xmlinclude{test}{afile}{file}.
Yes, that did it.  I thoroughly confused the notion of “lpath” in
xml-mkiv.pdf.

> But I have no idea what then happens with the generated tree :-/
It's processed on the spot where <afile file="incfile"/> is found.  The
document should contain \xmlprependsetup{xml:afile} somewhere, too
(lxml-ini.mkiv, line 115).

> To actually make use of inc.xml in the current document, perhaps
> \xmlprocessfile is what you are after?
[...] snip
That's actually what troubled me in the first mail of this thread.  I
don't think \xmlprocessfile is intended to include files this way.

Thanks again,

Philipp

PS: XML in ConTeXt rocks!

@ 2010-03-08  9:57       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-08  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-3-2010 18:29, Philipp Gesang wrote:

>> So in this case, you would have \xmlinclude{test}{afile}{file}.
> Yes, that did it.  I thoroughly confused the notion of “lpath” in
> xml-mkiv.pdf.

it's not xpath but shares quite some properties with it

>> To actually make use of inc.xml in the current document, perhaps
>> \xmlprocessfile is what you are after?
> [...] snip
> That's actually what troubled me in the first mail of this thread.  I
> don't think \xmlprocessfile is intended to include files this way.

xml in mkiv is still somewhat experimental although the commands and
interfaces will stay; the current implementation is the second one and
has the advanage that it stays closer to xpath and also is more
roundtrip safe (tables of contents and so); i expect further improvements

i use the xml code in production environments so it's performing quite
ok now

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: including xml files
@ 2010-03-08 12:30         ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-08 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-03-08 <10:57:00>, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7-3-2010 18:29, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>
> >>So in this case, you would have \xmlinclude{test}{afile}{file}.
> >Yes, that did it.  I thoroughly confused the notion of “lpath” in
> >xml-mkiv.pdf.
>
> it's not xpath but shares quite some properties with it
Well, what I meant was that I thought the second parameter of
\xmlinclude to be a path within the include-file, not the main document.
The xpath--lpath relation is clear enough, I just got this one wrong
because I read lines 111--115 of lxml-ini.mkiv first but the definition
in xml-mkiv only later …

> >>To actually make use of inc.xml in the current document, perhaps
> >>\xmlprocessfile is what you are after?
> >[...] snip
> >That's actually what troubled me in the first mail of this thread.  I
> >don't think \xmlprocessfile is intended to include files this way.
>
> xml in mkiv is still somewhat experimental although the commands and
> interfaces will stay; the current implementation is the second one
> and has the advanage that it stays closer to xpath and also is more
> roundtrip safe (tables of contents and so); i expect further
> improvements
Will there be documentation on the lua internals?  It is tedious tracing
things down all the way through ConTeXt -> lxml-ini -> lxml-tex ->
lxml-aux to find out (or not) what they're supposed to do.

Regards

Philipp

@ 2010-03-08 13:22           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-3-2010 13:30, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> Will there be documentation on the lua internals?  It is tedious tracing
> things down all the way through ConTeXt ->  lxml-ini ->  lxml-tex ->
> lxml-aux to find out (or not) what they're supposed to do.

once i know what will be exposed, yes,

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: including xml files
@ 2010-03-08 19:33         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2010-03-08 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> xml in mkiv is still somewhat experimental although the commands and interfaces will stay; the current implementation is the second one and has the advanage that it stays closer to xpath and also is more roundtrip safe (tables of contents and so); i expect further improvements
>
> i use the xml code in production environments so it's performing quite ok now

Just a quick question as I'm writing something on ConTeXt + various xml variants for MAPS: does ConTeXt insist on finding the extension .xml with \xmldocument ? I tried and am having trouble processing a file such as foo.xhtml; when I rename the same file to foo.xml, it works flawlessly.

All best

Thomas

* Re: including xml files
@ 2010-03-08 20:32           ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]             ` <66F96041-9A2F-4A70-A7B5-9552086807DC@uni-bonn.de>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-08 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-3-2010 20:33, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> xml in mkiv is still somewhat experimental although the commands and interfaces will stay; the current implementation is the second one and has the advanage that it stays closer to xpath and also is more roundtrip safe (tables of contents and so); i expect further improvements
>>
>> i use the xml code in production environments so it's performing quite ok now
>
> Just a quick question as I'm writing something on ConTeXt + various xml variants for MAPS: does ConTeXt insist on finding the extension .xml with \xmldocument ? I tried and am having trouble processing a file such as foo.xhtml; when I rename the same file to foo.xml, it works flawlessly.

not that i know of ... i use several suffixes here

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: including xml files
       [not found]             ` <66F96041-9A2F-4A70-A7B5-9552086807DC@uni-bonn.de>
@ 2010-03-08 21:04               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-08 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8-3-2010 21:55, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> context --environment=ourenvironment maps1.html

ah, context can recognize a couple of suffixes but ignores html so just use

   --forcexml

which will add the wrapper (future versions will not use the wrapper but
that's sort of hidden anyway)

we also have another force:

   --forcecld

as well for documents coded in lua (currently in the context namespace
but in the future more generic)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: including xml files
@ 2010-03-08 21:08                 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2010-03-08 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:04 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> ah, context can recognize a couple of suffixes but ignores html so just use
>
>  --forcexml
>
> which will add the wrapper (future versions will not use the wrapper but that's sort of hidden anyway)

Excellent, I will add  this somewhere to the article! Thanks Hans!

All best

Thomas