* xml with interaction fails in footnotes
@ 2010-03-14 23:12 Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-14 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Good evening all,

I'm experiencing a weird behaviour when using my module to transliterate
stuff in a footnote.  ConTeXt fails with an undefined control sequence
if an only if I switch on interaction.

The issue vanishes when I removing either the footnote environment or
the interaction or the transliteration or the tag with the text to be
transliterated.

In the following minimal example I specified the lines that will make
context process the file when commented out.  Please note that
everything works fine outside xml as the transliteration immediately
after “\starttext” demonstrates.

Thanks for any help,

Philipp

---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

\enabletrackers[xml.entities]
\enabletrackers[xml.parse]
\enabletrackers[xml.path]
\enabletrackers[xml.profile]
\enabletrackers[xml.remap]
\enabletrackers[lxml.access]
\enabletrackers[lxml.comments]
\enabletrackers[lxml.loading]
\enabletrackers[lxml.manipulations]
\enabletrackers[lxml.setups]

\setupinteraction[state=start]        %this one
\usemodule[transliterator]

\startxmlsetups xml:testsetups
    \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{*}{-}
    \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{
      body|
      content|
      trru|                           %this one
      fn|
      }{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:testsetups}

\startxmlsetups xml:body
    \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:content
    \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:fn
    \startfootnote                    %this together with …
    \xmlflush{#1}
    \stopfootnote                     %… this one
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:trru
  \starttransliterate                 %this together with …
    \xmlflush{#1}
  \stoptransliterate                  %… this one
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext

\transliterate{раз, два, три}

\startbuffer
    <content>
      Content to include with a footnote
      <fn>
      <trru>раз, два, три</trru>      %this one
      </fn>
    </content>
\stopbuffer

\xmlprocessbuffer{test}{}{}

\stoptext

---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

* interaction fails with footnotes (was: xml with interaction fails in footnotes)
@ 2010-03-14 23:32 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-14 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2010-03-15 <00:12:03>, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> Good evening all,
>

> I'm experiencing a weird behaviour when using my module to transliterate
> stuff in a footnote.  ConTeXt fails with an undefined control sequence
> if an only if I switch on interaction.
>
> The issue vanishes when I removing either the footnote environment or
> the interaction or the transliteration or the tag with the text to be
> transliterated.
>
> In the following minimal example I specified the lines that will make
> context process the file when commented out.  Please note that
> everything works fine outside xml as the transliteration immediately
> after “\starttext” demonstrates.
Correction: It doesn't work fine outside xml, too, when again put in a
footnote.[1]  So forget about the xml part.  Interaction seems to be the
culprit.

Philipp

[1] Like this:
---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Words before a footnote\footnote{
\transliterate{раз, два, три}
}
---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for any help,
>

> Philipp
>
> ---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> \enabletrackers[xml.entities]
> \enabletrackers[xml.parse]
> \enabletrackers[xml.path]
> \enabletrackers[xml.profile]
> \enabletrackers[xml.remap]
> \enabletrackers[lxml.access]
> \enabletrackers[lxml.comments]
> \enabletrackers[lxml.loading]
> \enabletrackers[lxml.manipulations]
> \enabletrackers[lxml.setups]
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]        %this one
> \usemodule[transliterator]
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:testsetups
>     \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{*}{-}
>     \xmlsetsetup{\xmldocument}{
>       body|
>       content|
>       trru|                           %this one
>       fn|
>       }{xml:*}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \xmlregistersetup{xml:testsetups}
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:body
>     \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:content
>     \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:fn
>     \startfootnote                    %this together with …
>     \xmlflush{#1}
>     \stopfootnote                     %… this one
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:trru
>   \starttransliterate                 %this together with …
>     \xmlflush{#1}
>   \stoptransliterate                  %… this one
> \stopxmlsetups
>
> \starttext
>
> \transliterate{раз, два, три}
>
> \startbuffer
>     <content>
>       Content to include with a footnote
>       <fn>
>       <trru>раз, два, три</trru>      %this one
>       </fn>
>     </content>
> \stopbuffer
>
> \xmlprocessbuffer{test}{}{}
>
> \stoptext
>
> ---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> --
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments

* Re: interaction fails with footnotes (was: xml with interaction fails in footnotes)
@ 2010-03-15  3:01   ` Curiouslearn
From: Curiouslearn @ 2010-03-15  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you updated to the latest context minimals version. That might
solve the problem. I had a similar  problem with including a clickable
URL in a footnote. Updating solved it.

On 3/14/10, Philipp Gesang <pgesang@ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> [...]
>>     \xmlflush{#1}
>>   \stoptransliterate                  %… this one
>> \stopxmlsetups
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \transliterate{раз, два, три}
>>
>> \startbuffer
>>     <content>
>>       Content to include with a footnote
>>       <fn>
>>       <trru>раз, два, три</trru>      %this one
>>       </fn>
>>     </content>
>> \stopbuffer
>>
>> \xmlprocessbuffer{test}{}{}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> ---8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> --
>> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
>> /\  www.asciiribbon.org   - against proprietary attachments

> --
> ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

Sent from my mobile device

* Re: interaction fails with footnotes (was: xml with interaction fails in footnotes)
@ 2010-03-15  7:00     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-15  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-03-14 <22:01:40>, Curiouslearn wrote:
> Have you updated to the latest context minimals version. That might
> solve the problem. I had a similar  problem with including a clickable
> URL in a footnote. Updating solved it.
Yes, I did.  It's friday's beta and recent minimals but I remember
already experiencing this error a while ago and ignoring it back then
(by switching off interaction).  And note that I don't even have
clickable stuff _in_ the footnote, it is the raised footnote marker
itself that is clickable.

Thanks anyways,

Philipp

@ 2010-03-15 13:10   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-15 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15-3-2010 0:32, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> On 2010-03-15<00:12:03>, Philipp Gesang wrote:
>> Good evening all,
>>

>> I'm experiencing a weird behaviour when using my module to transliterate
>> stuff in a footnote.  ConTeXt fails with an undefined control sequence
>> if an only if I switch on interaction.
>>
>> The issue vanishes when I removing either the footnote environment or
>> the interaction or the transliteration or the tag with the text to be
>> transliterated.
>>
>> In the following minimal example I specified the lines that will make
>> context process the file when commented out.  Please note that
>> everything works fine outside xml as the transliteration immediately
>> after “\starttext” demonstrates.
> Correction: It doesn't work fine outside xml, too, when again put in a
> footnote.[1]  So forget about the xml part.  Interaction seems to be the
> culprit.

you have to make a minial example that i can run here (no fancy module
code that can interfere)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-03-15 18:01     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-15 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-03-15 <14:10:10>, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 15-3-2010 0:32, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> >On 2010-03-15<00:12:03>, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> >>Good evening all,
> >>

> >>I'm experiencing a weird behaviour when using my module to transliterate
> >>stuff in a footnote.  ConTeXt fails with an undefined control sequence
> >>if an only if I switch on interaction.
> >>
> >>The issue vanishes when I removing either the footnote environment or
> >>the interaction or the transliteration or the tag with the text to be
> >>transliterated.
> >>
> >>In the following minimal example I specified the lines that will make
> >>context process the file when commented out.  Please note that
> >>everything works fine outside xml as the transliteration immediately
> >>after “\starttext” demonstrates.
> >Correction: It doesn't work fine outside xml, too, when again put in a
> >footnote.[1]  So forget about the xml part.  Interaction seems to be the
> >culprit.
>
> you have to make a minial example that i can run here (no fancy
> module code that can interfere)

Of course.  I could narrow it down to this.  Try commenting out the
interaction part.
---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\def\test{\dosingleempty\dotest}
\def\dotest[#1]#2{#2}

\starttext

Words before a footnote\footnote{
  Test
  \test{Test}
}

\stoptext

% vim:ft=context

---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The error I get is the same as with my module:
---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------
! Undefined control sequence.
\dododescriptioncomponent ...entdescriptioncoding
                                                  \s!tex \fi \ifx \currentde...
\@@notemakedescription ...list =,\c!bookmark =,][]
                                                  \xdef \currentnotenumber {...
l.11 }
---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philipp

@ 2010-03-15 21:40       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-15 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 15.03.10 19:01, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> Of course.  I could narrow it down to this.  Try commenting out the
> interaction part.
> ---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
>
> \def\test{\dosingleempty\dotest}

\unexpanded\def\test{\dosingleempty\dotest}

Wolfgang

* Re: interaction fails with footnotes
@ 2010-03-15 23:20         ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-15 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-03-15 <22:40:39>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 15.03.10 19:01, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> >Of course.  I could narrow it down to this.  Try commenting out the
> >interaction part.
> >---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >\setupinteraction[state=start]
> >
> >\def\test{\dosingleempty\dotest}
> \unexpanded\def\test{\dosingleempty\dotest}

Great, this works with the simple command.  But how would I apply this
onto the \long definition you gave me?  To be honest I tried almost all
the expansion related stuff from Chapter 20 of the TeXbook and the whole
unexpanded family from syst-aux.mkiv but could not get it working.

---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

\tracingcommands=1
\tracingonline=1
\setupinteraction[state=start]

\unexpanded\def\test{\dosingleempty\dotest}
\def\dotest[#1]#2{#2}

\def\startsomething{%
  \bgroup%
  \dosingleempty\dostartsomething
}

%\long\unexpanded\def\dostartsomething[#1]#2\stopsomething{%
\long\def\dostartsomething[#1]#2\stopsomething{%
   \dotest[#1]{#2}
  \egroup%
}

\starttext

Words before a footnote\footnote{
  The Test
  \test{The other Test}
  \startsomething[nothing]
  The next Test
  \stopsomething
}

\stoptext

% vim:ft=context

---8<-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Philipp

* Re: interaction fails with footnotes
@ 2010-03-15 23:33           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-15 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.03.10 00:20, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> \def\startsomething{%
>    \bgroup%
>    \dosingleempty\dostartsomething
> }

\unexpanded\def\startsomething{...}

\let\stopsomething\relax

Wolfgang

* Re: interaction fails with footnotes
@ 2010-03-16  8:48           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-16  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16-3-2010 0:20, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> onto the \long definition you gave me?  To be honest I tried almost all

fyi: in mkiv all macros are long (luatex option)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-03-16  9:58             ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-16  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-03-16 <00:33:12>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 16.03.10 00:20, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> >\def\startsomething{%
> >   \bgroup%
> >   \dosingleempty\dostartsomething
> >}
> \unexpanded\def\startsomething{...}
>
> \let\stopsomething\relax

Thanks, but that didn't work either.  I'm now convinced it is a bug
because ConTeXt's own \[start|stop]commands fail as well.  The following
code works flawlessly with texexec but not in MkIV:

···8<··········································································

\tracingcommands=1
\tracingonline=1
\setupinteraction[state=start]

\unexpanded\def\test{\dosingleempty\dotest}
\def\dotest[#1]#2{#2}

\def\startsomething{%
  \bgroup%
  \dosingleempty\dostartsomething
}

\unexpanded\def\dostartsomething[#1]#2\stopsomething{%
  \egroup%
}

\starttext

Words before a footnote%
\startfootnote

\startnarrower[left]
Test
\stopnarrower

%\startsomething[naught]
%Test
%\stopsomething

\stopfootnote

\stoptext

% vim:ft=context

···8<··········································································

* Re: interaction fails with footnotes
@ 2010-03-16 10:48               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-03-16 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.03.10 10:58, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> On 2010-03-16<00:33:12>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> Am 16.03.10 00:20, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>>
>>> \def\startsomething{%
>>>    \bgroup%
>>>    \dosingleempty\dostartsomething
>>> }
>>>
>> \unexpanded\def\startsomething{...}
>>
>> \let\stopsomething\relax
>>
> Thanks, but that didn't work either.

Then something is wrong in your test file because i tested
the above myself and it worked, to get your own module
working replace your translate macros with this:

\def\dotransliterate[#1]#2{%
\bgroup
\iffirstargument
\getparameters[TRL][#1]%
\fi
\language[\TRLhyphenate]%
\ctxlua{translit.transliterate("\TRLmode","\luaescapestring{#2}")}%
\egroup
}

\unexpanded\def\transliterate{\dosingleempty\dotransliterate}

\unexpanded\def\starttransliterate{%
\bgroup%
\dosingleempty\dostarttransliterate
}

\let\stoptransliterate\relax

\def\dostarttransliterate[#1]#2\stoptransliterate{%
\iffirstargument
\setuptransliterate[#1]%
\fi
\language[\TRLhyphenate]%
\ctxlua{translit.transliterate("\TRLmode","\luaescapestring{#2}")}%
\egroup
}

Test:

\setupinteraction[state=start]

\usemodule[transliterator]

\starttext

Words before a footnote\footnote{
\transliterate[]{раз, два, три}
}

Words before a footnote\startfootnote
\starttransliterate[]раз, два, три\stoptransliterate
\stopfootnote

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: interaction fails with footnotes
@ 2010-03-16 11:19                 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2010-03-16 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2010-03-16 <11:48:20>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 16.03.10 10:58, schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> >>\unexpanded\def\startsomething{...}
> >>
> >>\let\stopsomething\relax
> >Thanks, but that didn't work either.
> Then something is wrong in your test file because i tested
> the above myself and it worked, to get your own module
> working replace your translate macros with this:
Thanks, I had applied your previous suggestion in the wrong order.  This now
works.

But what about environments like \startnarrower?  Are they supposed to
work in footnotes?  How do I know when writing a document that I can't
use them in footnotes when interaction is enabled?  (Sorry I can't look
up in the wiki right now whether this is mentioned or not.)

Philipp

Example: