* pk-directory
@ 2010-03-26 20:30 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-26 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo,

how should the directory be named where a 600 dpi pk-font is searched
for by luatex?

Wolfgang

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-26 21:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-26 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-3-2010 21:30, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> how should the directory be named where a 600 dpi pk-font is searched
> for by luatex?

i'm not so sure if luatex does pk fonts (i havent't included pk fonts in
15 years)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-26 21:09   ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2010-03-26 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 26-3-2010 21:30, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> >
> > how should the directory be named where a 600 dpi pk-font is
> > searched for by luatex?
>
> i'm not so sure if luatex does pk fonts (i havent't included pk fonts
> in 15 years)

it does, with the default kpathsea paths, e. g.:

hahe@hahepc1:~$ luatex xx
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.52.0-2010032122 (rev 3515)
(./xx.tex [1] )
</home/hahe/.texlive2009/texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/cm
r10.600pk>
Output written on xx.pdf (1 page, 3242 bytes).
Transcript written on xx.log.

or

This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.52.0-2010032122 (rev 3515)
(./xx.tex [1] )
</usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/d
pi600/cmr10.pk>
Output written on xx.pdf (1 page, 3242 bytes).
Transcript written on xx.log.

Regards, Hartmut

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-26 23:45 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-26 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> how should the directory be named where a 600 dpi pk-font is searched
> for by luatex?

Context mkiv does not support pk files (the luatex executable itself
does, but context mkiv overrules all search paths and does not support
searching for pk files).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-27  9:37   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-27  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-3-2010 0:45, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
>> Hallo,
>>
>> how should the directory be named where a 600 dpi pk-font is searched
>> for by luatex?
>
> Context mkiv does not support pk files (the luatex executable itself
> does, but context mkiv overrules all search paths and does not support
> searching for pk files).

the find and read callbacks are set so it should find them, although
there might be logic in kpse with respect to pk files that is not
implemented (like generating bitmaps or so)

i wonder if it's really worth the trouble to support bitmap fonts in
mkiv as hardly anyone will use them

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-27  9:50     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-03-27  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> On 27-3-2010 0:45, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>> Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
>>>
>>> Hallo,
>>>
>>> how should the directory be named where a 600 dpi pk-font is searched
>>> for by luatex?
>>
>> Context mkiv does not support pk files (the luatex executable itself
>> does, but context mkiv overrules all search paths and does not support
>> searching for pk files).
>
> the find and read callbacks are set so it should find them, although there
> might be logic in kpse with respect to pk files that is not implemented
> (like generating bitmaps or so)
>
> i wonder if it's really worth the trouble to support bitmap fonts in mkiv as
> hardly anyone will use them
may we can be package them in an otf format
--
luigi

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-27 10:36       ` Arthur Reutenauer
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-03-27 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> may we can be package them in an otf format

  Right, OpenType can embed bitmap fonts (even TrueType could, if I'm
not mistaken); if the font is only available as PK, it should be
possible to make it into an OpenType font, using FontForge, for example.

  That being said, I realize that it means Metafont fonts can't be used
in Mark IV, am I right?

	Arthur

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-27 10:43         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-03-27 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Arthur Reutenauer
<arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
>> may we can be package them in an otf format
>
>  Right, OpenType can embed bitmap fonts (even TrueType could, if I'm
> not mistaken);
true
> if the font is only available as PK, it should be
> possible to make it into an OpenType font, using FontForge, for example.
 I'm not sure maybe with mftrace
http://lilypond.org/mftrace/
From ff site
""
Different font formats
FontForge supports Type1, truetype, opentype, cff, type42, cid-keyed
and svg fonts, also bdf and NFNT for bitmaps
FontForge will sort-of accept metafont files (essentially it runs
metafont and autotraces the result). It won't produce .mf files
""

>  That being said, I realize that it means Metafont fonts can't be used
> in Mark IV, am I right?
true --- for now.

--
luigi

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-27 10:45         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-27 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> may we can be package them in an otf format
>
>   Right, OpenType can embed bitmap fonts (even TrueType could, if I'm
> not mistaken); if the font is only available as PK, it should be
> possible to make it into an OpenType font, using FontForge, for example.

The chance of this working is minimal. For certain, I have never
tested bitmapped opentype fonts, and I also am sure that subsetting
won't work at all. Also, I am even less interested in bitmapped
opentype fonts than I am in pk files.

>   That being said, I realize that it means Metafont fonts can't be used
> in Mark IV, am I right?

Dumping a ready-made pk file in the local directory worked last
time I tried it.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-27 22:19         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-03-27 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:36:22AM +0100, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> > may we can be package them in an otf format
>
>   Right, OpenType can embed bitmap fonts (even TrueType could, if I'm
> not mistaken); if the font is only available as PK, it should be
> possible to make it into an OpenType font, using FontForge, for example.

No, neither OpenType or TrueType support bitmap-only, they can embed
bitmaps besides the regular outlines (X11 have there own OpenType
bitmap-only format, but it isn't a standard).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-27 23:28           ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-03-27 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> No, neither OpenType or TrueType support bitmap-only, they can embed
> bitmaps besides the regular outlines

  Thanks for the precision, Khaled.  I have to admit I never looked into
the details, I only knew one could embed bitmaps, but it seems I
extrapolated a bit.

	Arthur

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-29 13:17           ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-03-29 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:43:58AM +0100, luigi scarso wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Arthur Reutenauer
> <arthur.reutenauer@normalesup.org> wrote:
> >> may we can be package them in an otf format
> >
> >  Right, OpenType can embed bitmap fonts (even TrueType could, if I'm
> > not mistaken);
> true
> > if the font is only available as PK, it should be
> > possible to make it into an OpenType font, using FontForge, for example.
>  I'm not sure maybe with mftrace
> http://lilypond.org/mftrace/

I would imagine one day luatex being able to read metafont fonts's, pass
them through mplib to generate splines then through fontloader to build
OpenType fonts out of it, so one can still use metafonts metaness with
the complex layout feature of opentype and it vector fonts.

But given how few metafont fonts is (and only one family is really a
"meta" font), the effort seems not so worthy.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-29  8:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-29  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29-3-2010 0:45, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
>>> I have it found!
>>>
>>> In chapter 4.1.1.10 of the luatex reference one can read:
>>>
>>> The argument name is a bit special in this case. Its form is

>> well, i could turn
>>
>>      600dpi/manfnt.720pk
>>
>> into
>>
>>      manfnt.720pk
>>

> No, no! That makes sense this way.
>
> -- Never change a running system --

it depends ...

- i never had a running bitmap system the last 15 years so i cannot even
test
- mkiv and luatex change a lot as we want to move forward
- in order to be of more help i need more info etc

how important are bitmaps? is there really no alternative?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-28 22:45 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-28 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-03-28 21:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-28 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-3-2010 22:59, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I have it found!
>
> In chapter 4.1.1.10 of the luatex reference one can read:
>
> The argument name is a bit special in this case. Its form is

well, i could turn

    600dpi/manfnt.720pk

into

    manfnt.720pk

and then assume that it's present someplace (and indexed by luatools
--generate)

do you have files with such names? (it's then up to the user to make
sure that those files are indeed generated and present but anyone who
uses bitmaps is supposed to be able to do that)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-28 21:30   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-28 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-3-2010 22:53, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo Hans,
>
>>> so it would be nice, if a user could see (from a log) what and
>>> where luatex is searching. Isn't there any switch?
>>
>> --track=resolvers.locating,resolvers.detail
>
> Hmm! luatex ignores this and luatex --help does not list an option
> named --track nor does it context.

you need to run

context --trackers=resolvers.locating,resolvers.detail yourfile ...

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* pk-directory
@ 2010-03-28 20:59 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-28 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

       [not found] <mailman.112.1269786162.4277.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-03-28 20:53 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-28 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-03-28 14:04   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-03-28 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I thought luatex does not use kpathsearch anymore?

  You're right, Mark IV doesn't, so my piece of advice wasn't really
useful, sorry :-)  But it is still there in LuaTeX (the engine).

	Arthur

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-28 13:44   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-28 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-3-2010 15:39, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> Hallo Taco,

>>> No success! Neiter *.pk nor *.600pk
>>> and not with a local subdir /dpi600
>>>
>>> What extension have you used?
>>
>> .600pk (but that was ages ago, when I still cared about pk fonts)
>
> so it would be nice, if a user could see (from a log) what and where
> luatex is searching. Isn't there any switch?

--track=resolvers.locating,resolvers.detail

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: pk-directory
       [not found] <mailman.1.1269770401.10318.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-03-28 13:39 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-28 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hallo Taco,

       [not found] <mailman.96.1269720246.4277.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-03-28 13:39 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-28 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-03-27 20:06   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-03-27 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-03-27 17:22   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-03-27 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM, Hartmut Henkel <hartmut_henkel@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:

>> > it does, with the default kpathsea paths, e. g.:
>> >
>> > This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.52.0-2010032122 (rev 3515)
>> > (./xx.tex [1] )
>> > </home/hahe/.texlive2009/texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/cm
>> > r10.600pk>
>> >
>> > This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.52.0-2010032122 (rev 3515)
>> > (./xx.tex [1] )
>> > </usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/d
>> > pi600/cmr10.pk>
>>
>> I have tried both variants but nothing works. I use the minimals under
>> windows. What can I do (examine files, logs) to solve the problem?
>
> sorry, i can't help. (Plain) luatex (as of TeX Live) would work, but the
> minimals seem not to contain plain luatex (which is a pity), and context
> does some automatism which includes Type0C fonts instead of pk.
hm there is a plain
minimals-beta/tex/texmf/tex/plain/base/plain.tex
and in
minimals-beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/generic/context
#> luatex --ini luatex-plain.tex
#> luatex --fmt=luatex-plain.fmt  luatex-test.tex
works with some errors about font path
(I believe we  need some fontmap files  from texlive)
--
luigi

* Re: pk-directory
@ 2010-03-27 17:12   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-03-27 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] <mailman.1.1269687602.1766.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2010-03-27 17:10 ` Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-27 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

@ 2010-03-26 22:16 ` Hartmut Henkel
From: Hartmut Henkel @ 2010-03-26 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-03-26 21:54 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2010-03-26 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 26 Mar 2010 at 22:09, Hartmut Henkel wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > On 26-3-2010 21:30, Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini wrote:
> > >
> > > how should the directory be named where a 600 dpi pk-font is
> > > searched for by luatex?
> >
> > i'm not so sure if luatex does pk fonts (i havent't included pk
> fonts
> > in 15 years)
>
> it does, with the default kpathsea paths, e. g.:
>
> hahe@hahepc1:~$ luatex xx
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.52.0-2010032122 (rev 3515)
> (./xx.tex [1] )
> </home/hahe/.texlive2009/texmf-var/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/cm
> r10.600pk>
> Output written on xx.pdf (1 page, 3242 bytes).
> Transcript written on xx.log.
>
> or
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.52.0-2010032122 (rev 3515)
> (./xx.tex [1] )
> </usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/d
> pi600/cmr10.pk>
> Output written on xx.pdf (1 page, 3242 bytes).
> Transcript written on xx.log.
>
> Regards, Hartmut

Hello Hartmut, hallo Hans,