* arguments to ctxlua
@ 2010-03-30 17:45 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2010-03-30 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

When I have a Lua function with 2 arguments:
	\startluacode
	function f(a,b)
	\stopluacode

called through:
	\def\callf#1#2{\ctxlua{f("#1","#2")}}

and do this actually with one argument:
	\callf{one}

then I find that the absent argument b in f(a,b) is not nil but a
string of length 1.

That is a bit of a nuisance because I would like to use the Lua idiom:
	function f(a,b)
	local b = b or default
but that is frustrated by the behaviour shown.

Is this an artifact of either luatex or ConTeXt? Can it be avoided
such that in this case b will be nil?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: arguments to ctxlua
@ 2010-03-30 17:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-03-30 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-3-2010 19:45, Hans van der Meer wrote:
> When I have a Lua function with 2 arguments:
> \startluacode
> function f(a,b)
> \stopluacode
>
> called through:
> \def\callf#1#2{\ctxlua{f("#1","#2")}}
>
> and do this actually with one argument:
> \callf{one}

so, #1 will be one and #2 will be the next token (whatever that is)

> then I find that the absent argument b in f(a,b) is not nil but a string
> of length 1.
>
> That is a bit of a nuisance because I would like to use the Lua idiom:
> function f(a,b)
> local b = b or default
> but that is frustrated by the behaviour shown.
>
> Is this an artifact of either luatex or ConTeXt? Can it be avoided such
> that in this case b will be nil?

just tex

but in any case even if #2 is empty you need to test like this

local b = b ~= "" and b or default

watch the order ... we want b to be set to b when not empty

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: arguments to ctxlua
@ 2010-03-30 18:30 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-03-30 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 30 2010, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> called through:
> 	\def\callf#1#2{\ctxlua{f("#1","#2")}}
>
> and do this actually with one argument:
> 	\callf{one}
>
> then I find that the absent argument b in f(a,b) is not nil but a string of
> length 1.

Hello Hans,

You want probably something like this:

\startluacode
userdata = userdata or {}
function userdata.f(a, b)
	b = b or "default value"
	tex.print(string.format("a = '%s' and b = '%s'\\par", a, b))
end
\stopluacode
\def\callf{\dodoubleempty\docallf}
\def\docallf[#1][#2]{\ctxlua{userdata.f("#1"\ifsecondargument, "#2"\fi)}}
\starttext
\callf[one]
\callf[one][two]
\callf[one][]