* Internet archive integration into bibliography
@ 2010-04-12 21:53 Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2010-04-12 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hullo,

lately I got an great idea(TM) concerning citing internet sources.

\\ Initial problem:
the internet is ever changing, what says on a page today, might not be
there tomorrow and in ten years' time the page might not exist at all.

\\ Solution so far:
just smack the date (and time) next to the link. I've seen that often and
my faculty expects this from me as well.

\\ Problem with the solution so far:
it doesn't solve anything really.

\\ Solution(TM):
along with the URL and date, add the Internet Archive's link from that time
next to it as well.

The ‘Solution(TM)’ is a bit tedious though, so it'd be great if ConTeXt
could automate this process a bit. What I'm thinking is, if ConTeXt could
take the URL and date stored in the bibliography (.bbl) and combine it
together to form a URL of the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine to point
to that particular page at that particular time.

In the document's bibliography then it could be rendered something like
this:

Wikipedia: ConTeXt; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConTeXt; as seen on the
day: 12th of April 2010 at 13:45

With "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConTeXt" being a hyperlink to just that
and "12th of April 2010" being a hyperlink to
http://web.archive.org/web/20100412134500/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConTeXt

Note: using any date and time works OK with the archive.org, since if the
date doesn't exist in its database, it falls back to the last archived site
before the date requested.

What do you think? Would this make sense? If so, should we enable it by
default?

Cheers,
Matija
--
gsm: +386 41 849 552
www: http://matija.suklje.name

* Re: Internet archive integration into bibliography
@ 2010-04-13 16:36 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-04-13 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 23:53, Matija Šuklje wrote:

> In the document's bibliography then it could be rendered something like
> this:
>
> Wikipedia: ConTeXt; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConTeXt; as seen on the
> day: 12th of April 2010 at 13:45
>
> With "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConTeXt" being a hyperlink to just that
> and "12th of April 2010" being a hyperlink to
> http://web.archive.org/web/20100412134500/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ConTeXt
>
> Note: using any date and time works OK with the archive.org, since if the
> date doesn't exist in its database, it falls back to the last archived site
> before the date requested.
>

> What do you think? Would this make sense? If so, should we enable it by
> default?

It's a nice idea, though in my opinion not something that should be
enabled by default, but maybe being easily accesible with some keyword
combination should do. (You probably need to create your own style for
citing web pages anyway.)

Mojca

* Re: Internet archive integration into bibliography
@ 2010-04-13 16:58   ` Matija Šuklje
From: Matija Šuklje @ 2010-04-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne torek 13. aprila 2010 ob 18:36:13 je Mojca Miklavec napisal(a):
> It's a nice idea, though in my opinion not something that should be
> enabled by default, but maybe being easily accesible with some keyword
> combination should do. (You probably need to create your own style for
> citing web pages anyway.)

I'll try to bodge something together, include it in my PF_UL style and post
it also as a separate Wiki entry.

I thought it'd be a nice feature for \url ...but maybe you're right.

Cheers,
Matija