* [ppchtex] \normalifx: Undefined control sequence
@ 2010-04-17  9:10 Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-17  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

thanks to contributors of this list I was able to use ppchtex with
LaTeX when I encountered a "\writestatus: Undefined control sequence"
problem:

http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/044672.html

Everything went well (though I have a little use of ppchtex) but, as I
tried it some days ago, I was facing another trouble pointed out by the
following MCE:

\listfiles{}
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{etex,m-pictex,m-ch-en}
\begin{document}
\startchemical
\chemical{2H_2,PLUS,O_2,GIVES,2H_2O}
\stopchemical
\end{document}

The error is:

! Undefined control sequence.
\dodogetgroupargument ->\normalifx
                                   \nextargument \bgroup \endrobusttest
\nos... l.6 \chemical{
              2H_2,PLUS,O_2,GIVES,2H_2O}
?

Here is my files list:

 *File List*
 article.cls    2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
  size10.clo    2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)
    etex.sty    1998/03/26 v2.0 eTeX basic definition package (PEB)
m-pictex.sty    2004/07/30 package wrapper for m-pictex.tex
m-pictex.tex
 m-ch-en.sty    2004/07/30 package wrapper for m-ch-en.tex
 m-ch-en.tex

It seems that mkiv seems still not ok with my up-to-date TeX Live 2009,
as:

$ more test-context-minimal.tex
\starttext
Hello World!
\stoptext

$ context test-context-minimal.tex
MTXrun | unknown script 'context.lua' or 'mtx-context.lua'

But mkii is ok (tested with `texexec test-context-minimal.tex`). And,
with mkii, the following ppchtex MCE is OK:

\usemodule[pictex,chemic]
\starttext
\startchemical
 \chemical[SIX,B,R,RZ][1,2,3,4,5,6]
\stopchemical
\stoptext

Thanks in advance for any hint...
--
Denis

* Re: [ppchtex] \normalifx: Undefined control sequence
@ 2010-04-18 21:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-18 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17-4-2010 11:10, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks to contributors of this list I was able to use ppchtex with
> LaTeX when I encountered a "\writestatus: Undefined control sequence"
> problem:
>
> http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2009/044672.html
>
> Everything went well (though I have a little use of ppchtex) but, as I
> tried it some days ago, I was facing another trouble pointed out by the
> following MCE:
>
> \listfiles{}
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{etex,m-pictex,m-ch-en}
> \begin{document}
> \startchemical
> \chemical{2H_2,PLUS,O_2,GIVES,2H_2O}
> \stopchemical
> \end{document}
>
> The error is:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \dodogetgroupargument ->\normalifx

can you check if your ppchtex.noc file has

\input supp-mis.mkii \let\writestatus\undefined
\input syst-gen.mkii
\input syst-fnt.mkii

i.e loads the mkii files?

i font, get the cont-tmf.zip file from our website and unzip it in your
tex tree (and run mktexlsr afterwards)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-04-22  9:30   ` Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-22  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le dimanche 18/04/10 à 23h23,
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> a écrit :

> can you check if your ppchtex.noc file has
>
> \input supp-mis.mkii \let\writestatus\undefined
> \input syst-gen.mkii
> \input syst-fnt.mkii
>
> i.e loads the mkii files?

Yes, those lines are present in the file ppchtex.noc:

[bitouze@drums ~]$ kpsewhich ppchtex.noc
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/context/ppchtex.noc
[bitouze@drums ~]$
cd /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/context/
[bitouze@drums context]$ more ppchtex.noc | grep mkii
\input supp-mis.mkii \let\writestatus\undefined
\input syst-gen.mkii
\input syst-fnt.mkii
\input ppchtex.mkii
[bitouze@drums context]$

Thanks for any further idea! ;)
--

@ 2010-04-22 11:16     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]       ` <20100422132518.1aacf25b@drums>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-4-2010 11:30, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Le dimanche 18/04/10 à 23h23,
> Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  a écrit :
>
>> can you check if your ppchtex.noc file has
>>
>> \input supp-mis.mkii \let\writestatus\undefined
>> \input syst-gen.mkii
>> \input syst-fnt.mkii
>>
>> i.e loads the mkii files?
>
> Yes, those lines are present in the file ppchtex.noc:
>
> [bitouze@drums ~]$ kpsewhich ppchtex.noc
> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/context/ppchtex.noc
> [bitouze@drums ~]$
> cd /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/generic/context/
> [bitouze@drums context]$ more ppchtex.noc | grep mkii
> \input supp-mis.mkii \let\writestatus\undefined
> \input syst-gen.mkii
> \input syst-fnt.mkii
> \input ppchtex.mkii
> [bitouze@drums context]$

and are you sure that these files are loaded?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

       [not found]         ` <4BD035DE.1010901@wxs.nl>
@ 2010-04-22 13:21           ` Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-22 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le jeudi 22/04/10 à 13h41,
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> a écrit :

> can you download the cont-tmf.zip file and unzip it in the texmd-dist
> root?

It works! Well almost: no compilation trouble, but an empty page with
the following MCE:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{etex,m-pictex,m-ch-en}
\begin{document}
\startchemical
\chemical{2H_2,PLUS,O_2,GIVES,2H_2O}
\stopchemical
\end{document}

Thanks!
--

@ 2010-04-22 13:30             ` Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-22 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le jeudi 22/04/10 à 15h21,
Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze@wanadoo.fr> a écrit :

> no compilation trouble

Sorry, no error but the following message in the .log file:

ppchtex        : the {}{}-alternative is not permitted here
--

@ 2010-04-22 14:42               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-4-2010 3:30, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Le jeudi 22/04/10 à 15h21,
> Denis Bitouzé<dbitouze@wanadoo.fr>  a écrit :
>
>> no compilation trouble
>
> Sorry, no error but the following message in the .log file:
>
> ppchtex        : the {}{}-alternative is not permitted here

so use the [][] variant instead ({}{} is for inline)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-04-22 14:51                 ` Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-22 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen, ntg-context

Le jeudi 22/04/10 à 16h42,
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> a écrit :

> so use the [][] variant instead ({}{} is for inline)

OK, that's better :) But the following MCE:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{etex,m-pictex,m-ch-en}
\begin{document}
\startchemical
\chemical[2H_2,PLUS,O_2,GIVES,2H_2O]
\stopchemical
\end{document}

leads to the messages:

ppchtex        : unknown chemical definition 2H_2
ppchtex        : unknown chemical definition O_2
ppchtex        : unknown chemical definition 2H_2O

and, indeed, only the "+" sign and the arrow are printed.

Thanks.
--

@ 2010-04-22 17:09                   ` Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-22 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le jeudi 22/04/10 à 16h51,
Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze@wanadoo.fr> a écrit :

> But the following MCE:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{etex,m-pictex,m-ch-en}
> \begin{document}
> \startchemical
> \chemical[2H_2,PLUS,O_2,GIVES,2H_2O]
> \stopchemical
> \end{document}
>
> leads to the messages:
> [...]

Well, the following one:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{etex,m-pictex,m-ch-en}
\begin{document}
\chemical{2H_2,PLUS,O_2,GIVES,2H_2O}
\end{document}

is actually OK!

What is strange is that ppchtex \chemical formulas used to be inserted
between \startchemical and \stopchemical... Moreover, the following:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{etex,m-pictex,m-ch-en}
\begin{document}
\startchemical
  \chemical[SIX,B,R,RZ][1,2,3,4,5,6]
\stopchemical
\end{document}

works only with \startchemical and \stopchemical.

Are those changes:

  1. {}{} rather than [][],

  2. pair \startchemical, \stopchemical or not,

  3. etc.

documented somewhere?

Thanks.
--

@ 2010-04-22 21:30                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-22 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-4-2010 7:09, Denis Bitouzé wrote:

> Are those changes:
>
>    1. {}{} rather than [][],
>
>    2. pair \startchemical, \stopchemical or not,
>
>    3. etc.
>
> documented somewhere?

sure, in the ppchtex manual; indeed {}{} is used inline (in math mode or
not) and [][] between start/stop pairs

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-04-22 21:32                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-22 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22-4-2010 7:09, Denis Bitouzé wrote:

> Are those changes:
>
>    1. {}{} rather than [][],
>
>    2. pair \startchemical, \stopchemical or not,
>
>    3. etc.

btw, in mkiv ppchtex is reimplemented; it still has some flaws but it
has more room for extensions and is now part of the context mkiv kernel

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-04-23  5:37                       ` Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-23  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le jeudi 22/04/10 à 23h32,
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> a écrit :

> btw, in mkiv ppchtex is reimplemented; it still has some flaws but it
> has more room for extensions and is now part of the context mkiv
> kernel

As I'm not using ConTeXt for the moment (but it may change! :), what
are the consequences of this for a LaTeX user?

Thanks!

From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-23  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le jeudi 22/04/10 à 23h30,
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> a écrit :

> sure, in the ppchtex manual; indeed {}{} is used inline (in math mode
> or not) and [][] between start/stop pairs

Well, sorry for my misreading...
--

@ 2010-04-23  7:34                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-23  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 23-4-2010 7:37, Denis Bitouzé wrote:
> Le jeudi 22/04/10 à 23h32,
> Hans Hagen<pragma@wxs.nl>  a écrit :
>
>> btw, in mkiv ppchtex is reimplemented; it still has some flaws but it
>> has more room for extensions and is now part of the context mkiv
>> kernel
>
> As I'm not using ConTeXt for the moment (but it may change! :), what
> are the consequences of this for a LaTeX user?

we have context mkii and context mkiv; the new ppchtex module is for
mkiv and uses a combination of lua, tex and mp; as context and latex are
quite different (and even more when you consider mkiv) the new ppchtex
code targets at context

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-04-23  7:55                           ` Denis Bitouzé
From: Denis Bitouzé @ 2010-04-23  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le vendredi 23/04/10 à 09h34,
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> a écrit :

> we have context mkii and context mkiv; the new ppchtex module is for
> mkiv and uses a combination of lua, tex and mp; as context and latex
> are quite different (and even more when you consider mkiv) the new
> ppchtex code targets at context

Too bad... but I can understand...

Thanks!
--