* ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-26 22:41 Scott Steele
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Scott Steele @ 2010-04-26 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Sidenote: If anyone has ever considered changing the name of the ConTeXt
project, I'd like to support that. Name consistency is important, but there
are two unnecessary problems that the current name creates.

The first is that the unusual capitalization and pronunciation are a barrier
to new users. I've used macro packages in the TeX family for about four
years now (though it seems much longer! I can't believe for how long I was
putting out such ugly papers!), but I'm now consciously trying to remember
to pronounce them as tecks, latecks, zeetecks, conteckst, etc, and to type
them as Tex, Latex, Xetex, and Context (outside of this message/forum). The
odd capitalization doen't win fans among people who appreciate typographic
tradition, and the pronunciation requires that, instead of explaining first
how powerful and useful these systems are, one explain the Greek chi and
Donald Knuth. It doesn't give a good impression when one's first exposure to
TeX involves being told one is wrong in how one pronounces a word that is
less than 40 years old (The same goes for many open source projects).
Further, if the name is brought up in conversation and piques the interest
of a potential user, they will have a difficult time later searching for it
when they type in contekt or conteckt.

The second problem with the ConTeXt name is its shared spelling with
context. When I google context and font, I get so many pages imploring me to
consider the context of my document when choosing between Arial, Times New
Roman, and Comic Sans. Many of the things I'll be searching for while using
ConTeXt yield thousands of irrelevant pages because of how context can pop
up in so many topics that share major keywords with the typesetting process.

Of course, I myself am in no position to advocate a name change, and if the
two issues I listed are the price for having a cutting-edge typesetting
system, then I'm still a pretty happy camper. But if any of the people who
have actually worked really hard to put this together have ever thought
about bringing up a branding change, here's my two pence.

Scott

-----
This is a work of fiction.  Names, characters, places, and incidents either
are the product of the writer's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any
resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, businesses, companies,
events, or locales is entirely coïncidental.

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-26 23:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-26 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-4-2010 12:41, Scott Steele wrote:
> Sidenote: If anyone has ever considered changing the name of the ConTeXt
> project, I'd like to support that. Name consistency is important, but there
> are two unnecessary problems that the current name creates.

the implication of a name change is quite big

> The first is that the unusual capitalization and pronunciation are a barrier
> to new users. I've used macro packages in the TeX family for about four
> years now (though it seems much longer! I can't believe for how long I was
> putting out such ugly papers!), but I'm now consciously trying to remember
> to pronounce them as tecks, latecks, zeetecks, conteckst, etc, and to type
> them as Tex, Latex, Xetex, and Context (outside of this message/forum). The
> odd capitalization doen't win fans among people who appreciate typographic
> tradition, and the pronunciation requires that, instead of explaining first
> how powerful and useful these systems are, one explain the Greek chi and
> Donald Knuth. It doesn't give a good impression when one's first exposure to
> TeX involves being told one is wrong in how one pronounces a word that is
> less than 40 years old (The same goes for many open source projects).
> Further, if the name is brought up in conversation and piques the interest
> of a potential user, they will have a difficult time later searching for it
> when they type in contekt or conteckt.

well, nobody here cares much if you type ConTeXt as CONTEXT (small caps)
or context (verbatim or whatever)

concerning the pronouciation ... the x is not like in tex, it's just x
(ks or whatever) ... we're not that picky and there are no rules other
than that it should look right in your text if you refer to it

> The second problem with the ConTeXt name is its shared spelling with
> context. When I google context and font, I get so many pages imploring me to
> consider the context of my document when choosing between Arial, Times New
> Roman, and Comic Sans. Many of the things I'll be searching for while using
> ConTeXt yield thousands of irrelevant pages because of how context can pop
> up in so many topics that share major keywords with the typesetting process..

well, googling on latex is also somewhat special ... as we now have
context mkiv, you have a better change for a hit

> Of course, I myself am in no position to advocate a name change, and if the
> two issues I listed are the price for having a cutting-edge typesetting
> system, then I'm still a pretty happy camper. But if any of the people who
> have actually worked really hard to put this together have ever thought
> about bringing up a branding change, here's my two pence.

changing a name will bring way to much work with it (changing web pages,
manuals, filenames, lots of code, script names, habits etc)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27  8:27 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2010-04-27  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Scott,

that's a good idea, we should rename it to 'latex 3'. That name is still free and it would fill the expectations of almost all TeX users out there.

Patrick

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27  8:29   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-04-27  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> that's a good idea, we should rename it to 'latex 3'. That name is still free and it would fill the expectations of almost all TeX users out there.

'3' seems to be unfortunate.

What about L(u)ATeX-mkiv ?

--
luigi

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27  8:48   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2010-04-27  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:27, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> that's a good idea, we should rename it to 'latex 3'. That name is still free and it would fill the expectations of almost all TeX users out there.

+1

And I'm sure that the number of users would greatly increase :) :) :)

Whenever I tell someone that I'm not using LaTeX any more and that I
use something better instead, nobody ever believes me. (There cannot
exist any program that's better than LaTeX. That's one of the first
few axioms in mathematics :)

If I told them I was using LaTeX 3, it would gain everyone's attention
and everyone would want to see how it looks (still LaTeX, but probably
better since it carries a bigger version number).

Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27  8:58     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2010-04-27  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 04/27/2010 10:48 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:27, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> that's a good idea, we should rename it to 'latex 3'. That name is still free and it would fill the expectations of almost all TeX users out there.
>>
> +1

I think you err. LaTeX 3 is already taken
(http://www.latex-project.org/latex3.html) - how about "LaTeX IV"?

Tobias

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27  9:31       ` Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2010-04-27  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/4/27 Tobias Burnus <burnus@net-b.de>:
> I think you err. LaTeX 3 is already taken
> (http://www.latex-project.org/latex3.html) - how about "LaTeX IV"?

This one actually sounds good!

--
Vedran Miletić

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27  9:35         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-04-27  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27-4-2010 11:31, Vedran Miletić wrote:
> 2010/4/27 Tobias Burnus<burnus@net-b.de>:
>> I think you err. LaTeX 3 is already taken
>> (http://www.latex-project.org/latex3.html) - how about "LaTeX IV"?
>>

> This one actually sounds good!

but given the original post it then should be "latex iv" i.e. no funny
uppercase

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27 11:18           ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-04-27 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:35:37AM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 27-4-2010 11:31, Vedran Miletić wrote:
> >2010/4/27 Tobias Burnus<burnus@net-b.de>:
> >>I think you err. LaTeX 3 is already taken
> >>(http://www.latex-project.org/latex3.html) - how about "LaTeX IV"?
> >>

> >This one actually sounds good!
>
> but given the original post it then should be "latex iv" i.e. no
> funny uppercase

Metatex IV Pro, this sounds "professional" (the non-pro can be the plain variant).

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27 12:28 ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-04-27 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

my opinion is that ConTeXt including capitalization of some preselected letters is OK.

Imagine - how new mode of work brings ConTeXt (and other TeX family) to someone who knows only or has been working with Word before!

If it's to much to someone to remember correct "ConTeXt" writing (or to use \context macro - I never used it before, so I'm not sure whether such a macro exists; if it doesn't, it might be useful to define it; like \LaTeX in LaTeX), than it's probable one will not want to "see-through" the whole typesetting system (and more, ConTeXt may be a bit simpler for usage than LaTeX) and to learn how to typeset in this system (as he may be used to click an icon by mouse to get the required operation).

Also - if someone sees "ConTeXt" written, he may ask why some letters are capitalized. Especially seeing "TeX" should be preserved as it demonstrates relation to "TeX"; first letter uppercase ("C") is common in (majority) of program names; and thus I'd keep the whole "ConTeXt" as I feel it as a "mark".

Please take all above as my personal opinion; I don't like to touch anyone's point of view.

Lukas

* Re: ConTeXt name/branding
@ 2010-04-27 13:31   ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2010-04-27 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> or to use \context macro - I never used it before, so I'm not sure whether such a macro exists; if it doesn't, it might be useful to define it; like \LaTeX in LaTeX

  It's actually \CONTEXT, all uppercase.

	Arthur