* <CRLF> is interpreted as a Greek letter in LuaLaTeX
@ 2010-06-08  6:42 Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2010-06-08  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I want to write in LuaLaTeX by "tex.print" command some text string
that is defined in an external lua-file, so <crlf> characters in
LuaLaTeX appear as the Greek letter "omega". The Greek letter omega has
in the font CM code 0x0A, which is a line feed. It seems that the end of
the line is interpreted not as the end of the line, but a letter.
When I define a text string directly in the source file, everything is OK.
Please do not know how to solve this problem?

Thanx Jaroslav

My minimal example:

A) If everything is in one source file for example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}
\usepackage{luatextra}

\begin{document}
\directlua{
text=[[aaaaa
bbbbb
ccccc]]
tex.print(text)}

\end{document}

so the correct typesets:

aaaa bbbb cccc

BUT

B)
Where part of Lua code is in an external file "externalfile.lua" whose
content is as follows:

text=[[aaaaa
bbbbb
ccccc]]

then the LuaLaTeX source code:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}
\usepackage{luatextra}

\begin{document}

\directlua{dofile("externalfile.lua")
tex.print(text)}

\end{document}

typesets:

aaaaaOMEGAbbbbbOMEGAccccc

(where OMEGA is Greek character omega)

PS:
Use [[... ]] as a kind of "quotation marks" can bypass traditional "or
simple '. The problem is that these strings must bet a backslash \\ .
This character has a different meaning in LaTeX. Therefore I would
prefer using  [[ ... ]]

* Re: <CRLF> is interpreted as a Greek letter in LuaLaTeX
@ 2010-06-08  6:51 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-06-08  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jaroslav,

Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> Hi,
> When I want to write in LuaLaTeX by "tex.print" command some text string

I do not want to sound unfriendly, but this is a ConTeXt mailing list,
not a LuaLaTeX mailing list. It would be better if you would direct
lualuatex questions to the general luatex list <luatex@tug.org>.

> that is defined in an external lua-file, so <crlf> characters in
> LuaLaTeX appear as the Greek letter "omega". The Greek letter omega has
> in the font CM code 0x0A, which is a line feed. It seems that the end of
> the line is interpreted not as the end of the line, but a letter.

Exactly. lua input files are much more sane than tex files: if you write
a newline, you get a newline. The Omega is a side-effect of the font
you use.

> When I define a text string directly in the source file, everything is OK.
> Please do not know how to solve this problem?

postprocess the string with string.gsub.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: <CRLF> is interpreted as a Greek letter in LuaLaTeX
@ 2010-06-08  7:03   ` Jaroslav Hajtmar
From: Jaroslav Hajtmar @ 2010-06-08  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dne 8.6.2010 8:51, Taco Hoekwater napsal(a):

> Hi Jaroslav,
>
> Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
>> Hi,
>> When I want to write in LuaLaTeX by "tex.print" command some text string
>
> I do not want to sound unfriendly, but this is a ConTeXt mailing list,
> not a LuaLaTeX mailing list. It would be better if you would direct
> lualuatex questions to the general luatex list <luatex@tug.org>.

OK. I apologize and I accept your admonition :-). LuaLaTeX I do not use.
I modify only my ConTeXt application to run under the LuaLaTeX.
>> that is defined in an external lua-file, so <crlf> characters in
>> LuaLaTeX appear as the Greek letter "omega". The Greek letter omega
>> has in the font CM code 0x0A, which is a line feed. It seems that the
>> end of the line is interpreted not as the end of the line, but a letter.
>
> Exactly. lua input files are much more sane than tex files: if you write
> a newline, you get a newline. The Omega is a side-effect of the font
> you use.
>
>> When I define a text string directly in the source file, everything
>> is OK.
>> Please do not know how to solve this problem?
>
> postprocess the string with string.gsub.

It occurred to me, I try to modify the string to suggest
Thanks for the quick reply and advice
Jaroslav

@ 2010-06-08 19:11 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-06-08 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 08:42:30AM +0200, Jaroslav Hajtmar wrote:
> \usepackage[utf8]{luainputenc}

Just as a quick note, don't ever use luainputenc in new documents, it is
a hack to get legacy documents working.

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer