* ↦ in xits
@ 2010-06-12  9:19 Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-06-12  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi!

I use $x↦2x$ in xits, and it prints x→2x instead of x↦2x. The same file
works with latin modern. It seems that xits-math contains U+21A6 (↦) symbol
(at least, kcharselect displays this character in xits-math font), so it
should be related to some meta-information.

* Re: ↦ in xits
@ 2010-06-12 15:22 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-06-12 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:19:08PM +0400, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I use $x↦2x$ in xits, and it prints x→2x instead of x↦2x. The same file
> works with latin modern. It seems that xits-math contains U+21A6 (↦) symbol
> (at least, kcharselect displays this character in xits-math font), so it
> should be related to some meta-information.

ConTeXt try to compose U+21A6 from base part and the regular right arrow
(U+2192), since that base part seems to be some un-encoded, Latin Modern
specific glyph, you get only U+2192 with XITS.

Ideally, it should be done the other way around, fake U+21A6 in Latin
Modern virtual font and then use the proper code point everywhere (may
be this what is actually done but I misinterpreted it).

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: ↦ in xits
@ 2010-06-12 17:07   ` Yury G. Kudryashov
From: Yury G. Kudryashov @ 2010-06-12 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Khaled Hosny wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:19:08PM +0400, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I use $x↦2x$ in xits, and it prints x→2x instead of x↦2x. The same file
>> works with latin modern. It seems that xits-math contains U+21A6 (↦)
>> symbol (at least, kcharselect displays this character in xits-math font),
>> so it should be related to some meta-information.
>
> ConTeXt try to compose U+21A6 from base part and the regular right arrow
> (U+2192), since that base part seems to be some un-encoded, Latin Modern
> specific glyph, you get only U+2192 with XITS.
Where can I find this in the source code?

@ 2010-06-12 17:18     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-06-12 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 09:07:17PM +0400, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:19:08PM +0400, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I use $x↦2x$ in xits, and it prints x→2x instead of x↦2x. The same file
> >> works with latin modern. It seems that xits-math contains U+21A6 (↦)
> >> symbol (at least, kcharselect displays this character in xits-math font),
> >> so it should be related to some meta-information.
> >
> > ConTeXt try to compose U+21A6 from base part and the regular right arrow
> > (U+2192), since that base part seems to be some un-encoded, Latin Modern
> > specific glyph, you get only U+2192 with XITS.
> Where can I find this in the source code?

I don't know, I just checked the log, it reports a missing character,
whose code is in the private use area, and the glyphs embedded in the
PDF (FontForge is handy here) and I found it embeds U+2192 and the other
glyph from LM, but only U+2192 from XITS.

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: ↦ in xits
@ 2010-06-12 21:09   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-12 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-6-2010 5:22, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:19:08PM +0400, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I use $x↦2x$ in xits, and it prints x→2x instead of x↦2x. The same file
>> works with latin modern. It seems that xits-math contains U+21A6 (↦) symbol
>> (at least, kcharselect displays this character in xits-math font), so it
>> should be related to some meta-information.
>
> ConTeXt try to compose U+21A6 from base part and the regular right arrow
> (U+2192), since that base part seems to be some un-encoded, Latin Modern
> specific glyph, you get only U+2192 with XITS.
>
> Ideally, it should be done the other way around, fake U+21A6 in Latin
> Modern virtual font and then use the proper code point everywhere (may
> be this what is actually done but I misinterpreted it).

indeed the idea is to have only the right unicode chars (we already fake
some in virtual lm)

as with much in math we started from what tex used to do

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ↦ in xits
@ 2010-06-13 14:17     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-06-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-6-2010 11:09, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> Ideally, it should be done the other way around, fake U+21A6 in Latin
>> Modern virtual font and then use the proper code point everywhere (may
>> be this what is actually done but I misinterpreted it).
>
> indeed the idea is to have only the right unicode chars (we already fake
> some in virtual lm)

the beta has some more virtual lm chars so this should work ok now

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE