* nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-06-29 16:14 John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2010-06-29 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I gather the \nomarking function has been removed from MKIV.

All I can find out about this is a note on the Wiki, towards the end of

    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/MkIV_Differences

Unfortunately I don't understand the example given.

What I want is to replace things like

   \chapter{Short Title \nomarking{Rest Of Title}}

....so that "Short Title Rest Of Title" appears as the chapter title, but
just "Short Title" appears in the TOC, PDF bookmarks and footers.

Thanks,

--

John Devereux

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-06-29 17:33 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-06-29 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 29 2010, John Devereux wrote:

> ....so that "Short Title Rest Of Title" appears as the chapter title, but
> just "Short Title" appears in the TOC, PDF bookmarks and footers.

\setupinteraction[state=start]
\placebookmarks[all]
\setupfootertexts[chapter]
\starttext
\completecontent
\startchapter[title=long, list=short, bookmark=bookmark, marking=footer]
bla
\stopchapter
\stoptext

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-06-29 21:03   ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2010-06-29 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 29 2010, John Devereux wrote:
>
>> ....so that "Short Title Rest Of Title" appears as the chapter title, but
>> just "Short Title" appears in the TOC, PDF bookmarks and footers.
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
> \placebookmarks[all]
> \setupfootertexts[chapter]
> \starttext
> \completecontent
> \startchapter[title=long, list=short, bookmark=bookmark, marking=footer]
> bla
> \stopchapter
> \stoptext
>
> Cheers, Peter

Great, thanks Peter, that works and at least gets me going.

Of course I now how to repeat the short bit 4 times...

--

@ 2010-06-30  8:19   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-06-30  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Peter Münster

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 19:33:55 Peter Münster wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29 2010, John Devereux wrote:
> > ....so that "Short Title Rest Of Title" appears as the chapter title, but
> > just "Short Title" appears in the TOC, PDF bookmarks and footers.
>
> \setupinteraction[state=start]
> \placebookmarks[all]
> \setupfootertexts[chapter]
> \starttext
> \completecontent
> \startchapter[title=long, list=short, bookmark=bookmark, marking=footer]
> bla
> \stopchapter
> \stoptext
>
> Cheers, Peter

Three points:

(1)
\setupinteraction [state=start,option=bookmark,contrastcolor=interactioncolor]
\setupinteractionscreen [option=bookmark]
\placebookmarks [part,chapter,section,subsection]
                [part,chapter,section]
\starttext
\completecontent

\startchapter [title={First chapter},list={First}]
text̛̛
\stopchapter
\stoptext

Here, the long title gets placed by default in the bookmarks,
whereas one probably wants the short title there. Of course,
one can use "bookmark={First}", but this might be redundant
and thus is not very elegant. An alternative might be to
use "bookmark=list" but this, of course, yields "list".
Could/should one require the syntax: title={long},list={short}?

I would then expect to be able to use:
\setupchapter [bookmark=list]
to select to put the short title (if list={short}) in the bookmarks,
unless there be bookmark={shorter}.

(2)
Additionally,
\chapter [title={First chapter},list={First}]
does not work. Logically this should work just as \startchapter.

(3)
Furthermore, I have a conceptual/structural problem with
\startchapter\stopchapter. Take the example:

\startchapter [title={First chapter}]
bla
\stopchapter
some text
\startchapter [title={Second chapter}]
bla
\stopchapter

Where does "some text" belong? Structurally, I mean.
Is it some sort of interlude?

The syntax \chapter is not only convenient,
it is also logical in that the structural section
remains valid until the following \chapter.
The \startchapter\stopchapter syntax is attractive
but leaves me a bit perplex. Would someone explain?

Alan

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-06-30  9:03     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-06-30  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 30 2010, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> I would then expect to be able to use:
> \setupchapter [bookmark=list]
> to select to put the short title (if list={short}) in the bookmarks,
> unless there be bookmark={shorter}.

Good idea, +1 !
Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV (selector)
@ 2010-06-30 10:03       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-06-30 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On nomarking functionality in MKIV:

I manage short/long figure captions using a selector:
\defineselector [caption] [max=2,n=2] % alternate {short}{long} captions

\placefigure [here] [fig:reference]
  {\select{caption}
    {short}
    {long}
  }
  {figure}

\chapter{Liste des figures}
\start
 \setupselector [caption] [n=1]
 \placelistoffigures [criterium=all]
\stop

Similarly to
\startchapter [title=long,list=short]
could we have:
\placefigure [here] [fig:reference] [caption={long},list={short}]
  {figure}

Could this coexist with the current syntax:
\placefigure [here] [fig:reference]
  {caption}
  {figure}

Alan

By the way, \select{caption} does not follow the general syntax rule
whereas metadata is contained between []
and text to be typeset between {}
One should thus rather have
\select [caption] {short} {long}
or even
\selectcaption {short} {long}
to be coherent.

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-06-30 22:35     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-06-30 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 30.06.10 10:19, schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2010 19:33:55 Peter Münster wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 29 2010, John Devereux wrote:
>>> ....so that "Short Title Rest Of Title" appears as the chapter
>>> title, but
>>> just "Short Title" appears in the TOC, PDF bookmarks and footers.
>>
>> \setupinteraction[state=start]
>> \placebookmarks[all]
>> \setupfootertexts[chapter]
>> \starttext
>> \completecontent
>> \startchapter[title=long, list=short, bookmark=bookmark, marking=footer]
>> bla
>> \stopchapter
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Cheers, Peter
>
> Three points:
>
> [...]
>
> (2)
> Additionally,
> \chapter [title={First chapter},list={First}]
> does not work. Logically this should work just as \startchapter.
This won't happen but what you can do is to write a macro which accepts
different values for
headers/footers, the running text and the toc (i know the entries in the
toc and text are wrong).

\unprotect

\def\????ca{@@@@ca}

\unexpanded\def\caption
   {\dosingleargument\docaption}

\def\docaption[#1]%

{\getparameters[\????ca][\c!title=,\c!list=\@@@@catitle,\c!marking=\@@@@catitle,#1]%
    \doifmodeelse{*\v!marking}
      {\@@@@camarking}
      {\doifmodeelse{*\v!list}
         {\@@@@calist}
         {\@@@@catitle}}}

\protect

\setupheadertexts[chapter]

\starttext

\completecontent

\chapter{First Chapter}

\chapter{\caption[title=Second Chapter,list=Chapter Two,marking=Two]}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01  8:16       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-07-01  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 01 July 2010 00:35:44 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 30.06.10 10:19, schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
> >
> > Additionally,
> > \chapter [title={First chapter},list={First}]
> > does not work. Logically this should work just as \startchapter.
>
> This won't happen

So it is not a good idea?
Or just complicated to implement, currently?

> but what you can do is to write a macro which accepts
> different values for
> headers/footers, the running text and the toc (i know the entries in the
> toc and text are wrong).

There is an entire class of users who will not get involved
writing macros, for whom \unprotect \protect is unknown.
I know that this is certainly *not* your case.

Following is a (somewhat long) reflection:

Functionality such as the subject of this thread
should be available by default, without having to mess with macros.
In particular, functionality present in LaTeX for quite some time
should be possible within ConTeXt rather easily, the ConTeXt way,
of course.

Thus,
  \chapter[toc-entry]{title}
of LaTeX should have its equivalent in ConTeXt,
and this would be logically something like:
  \chapter [title={title},list={toc-entry}]

Furthermore,
  \chapter*{title}
of LaTeX should also have its simple equivalent in ConTeXt,
and this would be logically something like:
  \chapter [number=no] {title}

Considering figures, tables, etc., in LaTeX we have:
  \begin{figure}[where]
    figure
    \caption[lof-entry]{figure caption}
    \label{fig:reference}
  \end{figure}
and in ConTeXt:
  \placefigure [where] [fig:reference]
    {caption}
    {figure}
which could very logically be:
  \placefigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption=no]
    {figure}
and
  \placefigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption={caption},list={lof-entry}]
    {figure}
the ConTeXt way!

Alan

P.S. While on the subject, in TeX, LaTeX and ConTeXt we have:
  $$ displayed math $$
and additionally in LaTeX, we have:
  \begin*{equation}
    displayed math
  \end{equation}
while in ConTeXt we have
  \placeformula [-]
    $$ displayed math $$
or, alternately (to get spacing right)
  \placeformula [-]
    \startformula
      displayed math
    \stopformula

Whereas I understand \placelist, \placecontent, etc.
I don't really understand the logic of
  \placeformula, \placefigure, \placetable
for floats.
Especially now that I just discovered the existence of
  \startfiguretext \stopfiguretext
OK, there are different mechanisms behind \startfiguretext
and \placefigure: it is not a float but a box:
  \startfiguretext [left] {none}
    {\externalfigure [figure] [width=w]}
    text
  \stopfiguretext
akin to
  \placesidebyside
    {\externalfigure [figure] [width=w]}
    {\framed [frame=no,width=\textwidth-w,align=text] {text}}

Would not
  \startfloatfigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption={text}]
    figure
  \stopfloatfigure
and
  \startfloattable [where] [tab:reference] [caption={text}]
    figure
  \stopfloattable
etc. be much more logical, coherent?
Furthermore, we could have:
  \startformula [where] [eqn:reference] [number=no]
    displayed math
  \stopformula
where "where" could be "here", "inline", etc.

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01  8:30         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-07-01  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 01.07.10 10:16, schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
> On Thursday 01 July 2010 00:35:44 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> Am 30.06.10 10:19, schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
>>
>>> Additionally,
>>> \chapter [title={First chapter},list={First}]
>>> does not work. Logically this should work just as \startchapter.
>>>
>> This won't happen
>>
> So it is not a good idea?
> Or just complicated to implement, currently?

It's possible but Hans answer is he will not implement this. Since he
also removed
the paragraph delimited versions of the header commands (\chapter
...\par) your
chances for extensions are very low.

>> but what you can do is to write a macro which accepts
>> different values for
>> headers/footers, the running text and the toc (i know the entries in the
>> toc and text are wrong).
>>
> There is an entire class of users who will not get involved
> writing macros, for whom \unprotect \protect is unknown.
> I know that this is certainly *not* your case.

What i tried to show with my example this what's possible to get around
with the limitations but my code does not work and won't work with the
help of Hans because it needs hocks in the list macros (there is currently
no automated way to tell whether you're in a list or not).

Wolfgang

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01  9:23         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-07-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 01 2010, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> Functionality such as the subject of this thread
> should be available by default, without having to mess with macros.
> In particular, functionality present in LaTeX for quite some time
> should be possible within ConTeXt rather easily, the ConTeXt way,
> of course.

The ConTeXt way is now: \startchapter[...] \stopchapter
When you don't need the extra functionality, you can use the old \chapter
command, but when you need it, the just use the new environment.

> Thus,
>   \chapter[toc-entry]{title}
> of LaTeX should have its equivalent in ConTeXt,
> and this would be logically something like:
>   \chapter [title={title},list={toc-entry}]

Why? LaTeX is not the reference for ConTeXt.
It could also be like this:
\startsection[type=chapter, title=my title, ...]
\stopsection

> Furthermore,
>   \chapter*{title}
> of LaTeX should also have its simple equivalent in ConTeXt,
> and this would be logically something like:
>   \chapter [number=no] {title}

This should be simple enough:
\startchapter[number=no]
\stopchapter

> which could very logically be:
>   \placefigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption=no]
>     {figure}
> and
>   \placefigure [where] [fig:reference] [caption={caption},list={lof-entry}]
>     {figure}
> the ConTeXt way!

Or:
\placefigure[where=here, label=fig:label, caption=my caption, ...]{figure}

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01  9:44           ` Alan BRASLAU
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-07-01  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Peter Münster

On Thursday 01 July 2010 11:23:01 Peter Münster wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01 2010, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > Functionality such as the subject of this thread
> > should be available by default, without having to mess with macros.
> > In particular, functionality present in LaTeX for quite some time
> > should be possible within ConTeXt rather easily, the ConTeXt way,
> > of course.
>
> The ConTeXt way is now: \startchapter[...] \stopchapter
> When you don't need the extra functionality, you can use the old \chapter
> command, but when you need it, the just use the new environment.

This is an unsatisfactory statement, indeed.

No one has answered my question about to what belongs any text
between a proceding \stopchapter and a following \startchapter, as in
\startchapter{title}
\stopchapter
some text
\startchapter{next title}
\stopchapter

There remains thus some logical/structural problem with this new scheme.
(This does not mean, at all, that I dislike the \start \stop syntax.)

> > Thus,
> >
> >   \chapter[toc-entry]{title}
> >
> > of LaTeX should have its equivalent in ConTeXt,
> >
> > and this would be logically something like:
> >   \chapter [title={title},list={toc-entry}]
>
> Why? LaTeX is not the reference for ConTeXt.

So you/we have nothing to learn from years of experience and use of LaTeX?
It is indeed not a reference, but an indicator.

Do not forget, as well, that many new ConTeXt users will be coming from
LaTeX...

Alan

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01  9:55             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-07-01  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> On Thursday 01 July 2010 11:23:01 Peter Münster wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 01 2010, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>> > Functionality such as the subject of this thread
>> > should be available by default, without having to mess with macros.
>> > In particular, functionality present in LaTeX for quite some time
>> > should be possible within ConTeXt rather easily, the ConTeXt way,
>> > of course.
>>
>> The ConTeXt way is now: \startchapter[...] \stopchapter
>> When you don't need the extra functionality, you can use the old \chapter
>> command, but when you need it, the just use the new environment.
>
> This is an unsatisfactory statement, indeed.
>
> No one has answered my question about to what belongs any text
> between a proceding \stopchapter and a following \startchapter, as in
> \startchapter{title}
> \stopchapter
> some text
> \startchapter{next title}
> \stopchapter
>
> There remains thus some logical/structural problem with this new scheme.
> (This does not mean, at all, that I dislike the \start \stop syntax.)

\starttext

\input knuth %%% what about this ?

\chapter{Foo}
\input tufte %% ok it's "in" ch. Foo

%% what about these ?
\startstandardmakeup
foo \page boo \page goo \page
\stopstandardmakeup

\chapter{Goo}
\input tufte %% ok it's "in" ch. Goo

\stoptext

New schema > Old schema

--
luigi

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01 10:00             ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2010-07-01 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> No one has answered my question about to what belongs any text
> between a proceding \stopchapter and a following \startchapter, as in
> \startchapter{title}
> \stopchapter
> some text
> \startchapter{next title}
> \stopchapter

Excuse me, but your question is just plain nonsense. What you show us is sloppy writing. Why should ConTeXt or any other system cater to this? You're asking "where does text belong that doesn't belong to any hierarchical structure of my document?" The answer is obvious: this text doesn't belong anywhere.

Thomas

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01 10:11             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2010-07-01 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2010-07-01 um 11:44 schrieb Alan BRASLAU:
> No one has answered my question about to what belongs any text
> between a proceding \stopchapter and a following \startchapter, as in
> \startchapter{title}
> \stopchapter
> some text
> \startchapter{next title}
> \stopchapter

If you write such, you must know what you mean.

Compare with HTML:

what's this?

While in the olde days we used to write

something<p>
other stuff<p>

this incomplete syntax is gone now. Similar to ConTeXt's evolution.

> There remains thus some logical/structural problem with this new
> scheme.

Nothing is ever perfect.
The old scheme wasn't better, see e.g. Lugi's post.

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01 10:23               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-07-01 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>
>> No one has answered my question about to what belongs any text
>> between a proceding \stopchapter and a following \startchapter, as in
>> \startchapter{title}
>> \stopchapter
>> some text
>> \startchapter{next title}
>> \stopchapter
>
> Excuse me, but your question is just plain nonsense. What you show us is sloppy writing. Why should ConTeXt or any other system cater to this? You're asking "where does text belong that doesn't belong to any hierarchical structure of my document?" The answer is obvious: this text doesn't belong anywhere.
well, to avoid black hole we can say  that
"some text"
belongs to  the parent  section of chapter (part in this case or section0)
which actually is  "virtual" , ie almost doesn't influences output.
So one can think to an endless chain
... section-2 > section-1 > section0 aka 'part'  > section1 'aka' chapter ...

where 'a > b' mean a is parent of b

For "virtual" consider
\starttext
\chapter{foo}
\subsection{goo}
\stoptext

where there is a virtual \section .

More or less (maybe less than more) .

--
luigi

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-01 18:59               ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-07-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday 01 July 2010 12:00:45 Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> > No one has answered my question about to what belongs any text
> > between a proceding \stopchapter and a following \startchapter, as in
> > \startchapter{title}
> > \stopchapter
> > some text
> > \startchapter{next title}
> > \stopchapter
>
> Excuse me, but your question is just plain nonsense. What you show us is
> sloppy writing. Why should ConTeXt or any other system cater to this?
> You're asking "where does text belong that doesn't belong to any
> hierarchical structure of my document?" The answer is obvious: this text
> doesn't belong anywhere.

This is a very good answer.

Now, think about robustness. So called sloppy writing
can easily happen in a very big project, or more likely
by an inexperienced user. ConTeXt is pretty good in handling
this, but not perfect. How many times have we tried options
that do not exist and which are simply ignored in silence.

Now try:
  \input knuth
  \starttext
  What about this?
  \stoptext

Sometimes our errors, ignored in silence, end up having
strange side effects that are long to debug. I came across
this, for example, using by mistake \cite{reference}
rather then \cite[reference].

Back to robustness, I once wrote a very big system used to run
expriments. It *had* to be robust. Luckly, to insure this,
I had a collegue who was very good in doing every thing wrong.
For example, if the program asked "how many cycles" to run,
he was capable of typing "yes". Why not?
The program still had to handle this correctly.
Should be the same for typesetting.

I hope that you all *never* make mistakes.
Remember, *real* unix users only use cat;
All other text editors are for "sissys".

Alan

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-02  8:18                 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2010-07-02  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 1, 2010, at 8:59 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> This is a very good answer.
>
> Now, think about robustness. So called sloppy writing
> can easily happen in a very big project, or more likely
> by an inexperienced user. ConTeXt is pretty good in handling
> this, but not perfect. How many times have we tried options
> that do not exist and which are simply ignored in silence.
>
> Now try:
>  \input knuth
>  \starttext
>  What about this?
>  \stoptext
>
> Sometimes our errors, ignored in silence, end up having
> strange side effects that are long to debug. I came across
> this, for example, using by mistake \cite{reference}
> rather then \cite[reference].
>
> Back to robustness, I once wrote a very big system used to run
> expriments. It *had* to be robust. Luckly, to insure this,
> I had a collegue who was very good in doing every thing wrong.
> For example, if the program asked "how many cycles" to run,
> he was capable of typing "yes". Why not?
> The program still had to handle this correctly.
> Should be the same for typesetting.
>
> I hope that you all *never* make mistakes.
> Remember, *real* unix users only use cat;
> All other text editors are for "sissys".

Hope this isn't too long and not too off-topic...

It all depends on what you call "robustness." I'm a classicist, not a computer scientist or programmer, so  I view software only from a user's perspective. But here's what I think about this: a system is robust when it behaves in a predictable and consistent manner. Maybe it's because I have begun writing some of my stuff in xml, or maybe it's because I'm an anal-retentive guy by nature, but I find the tree image of documents compelling: everything has to be part of a branch. And I read the examples you provide as proving me right: if a program asks "how many cycles?" and the user input is "yes," the only consistent and predictable behavior is throwing an error and reporting it to the user - "integer number expected" or some such. Processing "yes" will not allow the user to learn how to do this right. Everything else ("The program still had to handle this correctly") is just going to leave the user at the mercy of what someone somewhere defined for her/him.

Moreover: maybe as a classicist, I find it natural to look at documents in the perspective of the "longue durée" - after all, we handle stuff that has been around for several millennia. Which means I see my TeX or whatever file not primarily as an instruction to typeset stuff in a certain way, but as a container  to preserve information. Which means: ideally, I want my documents so well-structured that someone in the year 3010 will be able to extract the same information from them. The better they are structured, the more they respect a consistent model, the better the chances that this will happen. Again, I would argue that this means an example like
somestuff
\starttext
morestuff
\stoptext
just should be flagged as invalid because it makes it difficult to parse this document for the information it contains.

So: I find the new \startchapter ... \stopchapter code much superior to the old way of organizing chapters. And I would argue that a program which discourages and flags incorrect input (like what you describe in your examples) is much superior to a program which somehow processes this input. This has nothing to do with using cat as an editor (btw: cat is for sissys, REAL programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand), but is a matter of organizing information in the best way.

Thomas

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-02  9:18                   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-07-02  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> So: I find the new \startchapter ... \stopchapter code much superior to the old way of organizing chapters.

Well, sometimes I still find  sgml documents (cfr. http://surf.sourceforge.net)
where  old way is better .

--
luigi

* Re: nomarking function in MKIV
@ 2010-07-02 11:07                   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-07-02 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Thomas A. Schmitz

On Friday 02 July 2010 10:18:23 Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> It all depends on what you call "robustness." I'm a classicist, not a
> computer scientist or programmer, so  I view software only from a user's
> perspective. But here's what I think about this: a system is robust when
> it behaves in a predictable and consistent manner. Maybe it's because I
> have begun writing some of my stuff in xml, or maybe it's because I'm an
> anal-retentive guy by nature, but I find the tree image of documents
> compelling: everything has to be part of a branch. And I read the examples
> you provide as proving me right: if a program asks "how many cycles?" and
> the user input is "yes," the only consistent and predictable behavior is
> throwing an error and reporting it to the user - "integer number expected"
> or some such. Processing "yes" will not allow the user to learn how to do
> this right. Everything else ("The program still had to handle this
> correctly") is just going to leave the user at the mercy of what someone
> somewhere defined for her/him.

I am a scientist, not a programmer (or computer scientist).
We tend to be creative and act unpredictably.
This leads to progress and innovation.

> Moreover: maybe as a classicist, I find it natural to look at documents in
> the perspective of the "longue durée" - after all, we handle stuff that
> has been around for several millennia. Which means I see my TeX or
> whatever file not primarily as an instruction to typeset stuff in a
> certain way, but as a container  to preserve information. Which means:
> ideally, I want my documents so well-structured that someone in the year
> 3010 will be able to extract the same information from them. The better
> they are structured, the more they respect a consistent model, the better
> the chances that this will happen.
> Which means you should think of your document as structured
> information, not as instructions for a certain device. Again, the better
> the document is structured, the more independent and reliable its
> transmission will be.

Redundancy ``... is the only thing which makes it possible to write a text
which is longer than, say, ten pages. In other words, a language which has
maximum compression would actually be completely unsuited to conveying
information beyond a certain degree of complexity, because you could never find
out whether a text is right or wrong. And this is a question of principle. It
follows, therefore, that the complexity of the medium in which you work has
something to do with redundancy.''
(Shannon 1949)

I am researching (amongst other things) the structure of DNA.
The information that it carries has survived much longer than the
1000 years between 2010 and 3010...

Alan

P.S. my favorite editor is vi - as I do make mistakes!