* unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-05 20:21 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-06-05 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello,

This used to work with MKIV, but with today's version, it does not:

\starttext
X X THIN SPACE (U+2009)\blank
X X NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE (U+202F)\blank
X X NO-BREAK SPACE (U+00A0)\blank
\stoptext

Should this work, or should we rather use "~" and "\," as in the past?

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-07 11:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This used to work with MKIV, but with today's version, it does not:
>
> \starttext
> X X THIN SPACE (U+2009)\blank
> X X NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE (U+202F)\blank
> X X NO-BREAK SPACE (U+00A0)\blank
> \stoptext
>
> Should this work, or should we rather use "~" and "\," as in the past?

repaired in next beta (was unwanted side effect of optimization)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-07 11:42   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-06-07 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 07 June 2009 13:12:11 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Münster wrote:
> > Should this work, or should we rather use "~" and "\," as in the past?
>
> repaired in next beta (was unwanted side effect of optimization)

"~", by the way, appears not to be respected in math mode; example:

\starttext
$3\times 10^{-9}~\text{m}$

$3\times 10^{-9}\,\text{m}$
\stoptext

* Re: unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-07 12:10     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-07 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Sunday 07 June 2009 13:12:11 Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Peter Münster wrote:
>>> Should this work, or should we rather use "~" and "\," as in the past?
>> repaired in next beta (was unwanted side effect of optimization)
>
> "~", by the way, appears not to be respected in math mode; example:
>
> \starttext
> $3\times 10^{-9}~\text{m}$
>
> $3\times 10^{-9}\,\text{m}$
> \stoptext

no surprise, as math has its own spacing model so it all depends on the
definitions; i'm not even sure if we shoule support an active ~ in math
mode at all

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-07 13:50       ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-06-07 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 07 June 2009 14:10:10 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> >>
> >> repaired in next beta (was unwanted side effect of optimization)
> >
> > "~", by the way, appears not to be respected in math mode; example:
> >
> > \starttext
> > $3\times 10^{-9}~\text{m}$
> >
> > $3\times 10^{-9}\,\text{m}$
> > \stoptext
>
> no surprise, as math has its own spacing model so it all depends on the
> definitions; i'm not even sure if we shoule support an active ~ in math
> mode at all

I do not have any strong feelings about this, but do believe that "~" has
always provided an unbreakable white space in TeX, both in text and math mode.
I also feel that "~" is more readable than "\,".

Alan

* Re: unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-07 14:43         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-06-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Sunday 07 June 2009 14:10:10 Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>>> "~", by the way, appears not to be respected in math mode; example:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> $3\times 10^{-9}~\text{m}$
>>>
>>> $3\times 10^{-9}\,\text{m}$
>>> \stoptext
>> no surprise, as math has its own spacing model so it all depends on the
>> definitions; i'm not even sure if we shoule support an active ~ in math
>> mode at all
>
> I do not have any strong feelings about this, but do believe that "~" has
> always provided an unbreakable white space in TeX, both in text and math mode.
> I also feel that "~" is more readable than "\,".

The activeness of ~ isn't that important, but there really should be
a non-breakable space in math mode, and an active ~ is the most logical
choice because of 20 years of TeX input. You can pick something else,
but it is definately needed, and it should be shorter than
   "\penalty10000 \ "

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-07 14:55           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-07 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Alan BRASLAU wrote:

>>> no surprise, as math has its own spacing model so it all depends on the
>>> definitions; i'm not even sure if we shoule support an active ~ in math
>>> mode at all
>>
>> I do not have any strong feelings about this, but do believe that "~"
>> has always provided an unbreakable white space in TeX, both in text
>> and math mode. I also feel that "~" is more readable than "\,".
>
> The activeness of ~ isn't that important, but there really should be
> a non-breakable space in math mode, and an active ~ is the most logical
> choice because of 20 years of TeX input. You can pick something else,
> but it is definately needed, and it should be shorter than
>   "\penalty10000 \ "

hm, currently ~ is

\penalty \plustenthousand\space

which gives no space in math as spaces are ignored

i have this definition probably for a reason so i tend to be careful
with a change in text mode

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-08  8:46   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-06-08  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Peter Münster wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This used to work with MKIV, but with today's version, it does not:
> >
> > \starttext
> > X X THIN SPACE (U+2009)\blank
> > X X NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE (U+202F)\blank
> > X X NO-BREAK SPACE (U+00A0)\blank
> > \stoptext
> >
> > Should this work, or should we rather use "~" and "\," as in the past?
>
> repaired in next beta (was unwanted side effect of optimization)

Thanks!

Is there any difference between "THIN SPACE" and "NARROW NO-BREAK SPACE" in
ConTeXt?
Should there be a difference (perhaps "THIN SPACE" breakable)?

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2009-06-09 19:34     ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2009-06-09 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Should there be a difference (perhaps "THIN SPACE" breakable)?

  Yes, U+2009 is supposed to be breakable.

	Arthur

* Re: unicode no-break spaces
@ 2009-06-09 19:42       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2009-06-09 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

> > Should there be a difference (perhaps "THIN SPACE" breakable)?
>
>   Yes, U+2009 is supposed to be breakable.

Ok, but not the case in ConTeXt:

\starttext
\hsize1pt
bla bla
\stoptext

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2010-07-05  7:27             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-07-05  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sunday 07 June 2009 16:55:59 Hans Hagen wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> > Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> >> I do not have any strong feelings about this, but do believe that "~"
> >> has always provided an unbreakable white space in TeX, both in text
> >> and math mode. I also feel that "~" is more readable than "\,".
> >
> > The activeness of ~ isn't that important, but there really should be
> > a non-breakable space in math mode, and an active ~ is the most logical
> > choice because of 20 years of TeX input. You can pick something else,
> > but it is definately needed, and it should be shorter than
> >
> >   "\penalty10000 \ "
>
> hm, currently ~ is
>
> \penalty \plustenthousand\space
>
> which gives no space in math as spaces are ignored
>
> i have this definition probably for a reason so i tend to be careful
> with a change in text mode

Reviving an older thread - still a problem.

What is the current, proper means of inputing an unbreakable white space?
1. in math mode;
2. in text mode.
(I suggest that the same symbol should work in both cases).
Use of unicode nbsp can be problematic (and sometimes unreadable).

Minimal example:

\chapter{X~ray} % OK
\startchapter[title={X~ray}] % no good - shows "~" in the bookmarks!

(of course, the examples above are "silly" as such a short word would
not get broken, unless the width was *really* small...)

Alan