* Wrong upright Greek instead of Italic
@ 2010-07-14 20:33 Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-07-14 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

This gives me upright Greek, but I was expecting italic:

\setupbodyfont[xits]
\starttext
$\mathit{ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ}$

$\mathbi{ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ}$
\stoptext

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Wrong upright Greek instead of Italic
@ 2010-07-14 21:16 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-07-14 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> This gives me upright Greek, but I was expecting italic:
>
> \setupbodyfont[xits]
> \starttext
> $\mathit{ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ}$
>
> $\mathbi{ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ}$
> \stoptext

What happens if you key in the actual unicode values (sorry no ConTeXt
right now)?

Aditya

* Re: Wrong upright Greek instead of Italic
@ 2010-07-14 21:19   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-07-14 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 05:16:14PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
> >This gives me upright Greek, but I was expecting italic:
> >
> >\setupbodyfont[xits]
> >\starttext
> >$\mathit{ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ}$
> >
> >$\mathbi{ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ}$
> >\stoptext
>
> What happens if you key in the actual unicode values (sorry no
> ConTeXt right now)?

I get the correct style as typed.

--

@ 2010-07-14 21:42     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-07-14 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 05:16:14PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>
>> >This gives me upright Greek, but I was expecting italic:
>> >
>> >\setupbodyfont[xits]
>> >\starttext
>> >$\mathit{ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ}$
>> >
>> >$\mathbi{ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ}$
>> >\stoptext
>>
>> What happens if you key in the actual unicode values (sorry no
>> ConTeXt right now)?
>
> I get the correct style as typed.

Then this is a bug in the mappings (and I assume that Cambria also does
not work). I will test later.

Aditya

* Re: Wrong upright Greek instead of Italic
@ 2010-07-15  4:26       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-07-15  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 05:42:30PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> >>What happens if you key in the actual unicode values (sorry no
> >>ConTeXt right now)?
> >
> >I get the correct style as typed.
>
> Then this is a bug in the mappings (and I assume that Cambria also
> does not work). I will test later.

Or even LM, all give me upright instead of italic.

--

@ 2010-07-15  4:42 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2010-07-15  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Khaled,

Do you use
\setupmathematics[ucgreek=italic]
at the top of your file?
Here I do get italic Greek letters if I add the above command to your example.

Best regards: OK

@ 2010-07-15  5:00   ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-07-15  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 12:42:53AM -0400, Otared Kavian wrote:
> Hi Khaled,
>
> Do you use
> \setupmathematics[ucgreek=italic]
> at the top of your file?
> Here I do get italic Greek letters if I add the above command to your example.

But then \mathrm will be italic too, since I'm explicitely selecting the
style, the setup should make no difference, which is indeed the case with
Latin.

@ 2010-07-15  5:08       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2010-07-15  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>>> What happens if you key in the actual unicode values (sorry no
>>> ConTeXt right now)?
>>>

>> I get the correct style as typed.
>>

>  Then this is a bug in the mappings (and I assume that Cambria also does
> not work). I will test later.

Currently, \mathit does not set the attributes for greek. The italic
attributes for greek are set by \mathgreekitalic and \mathgreekupright (but
see below).
\mathit can also set \mathgreekitalic. But I am not sure if it should.

However, there is a bug in \mathgreekupright and \mathgreekialic: they set
the wrong numerical values for attributes. The correct definitions are:

\unexpanded\def\mathgreekupright{\attribute\mathgreekattribute22 }
\unexpanded\def\mathgreekitalic {\attribute\mathgreekattribute33 }

and then you can use  \mathgreekitalic  and \mathgreekitalic\bf instead of
\mathit and \mathbi.

@Hans, can you correct these definitions in math-ini.mkiv.

BTW, I did not know that you could use \setupbodyfont without the
\usetypescript line.

Aditya

* Re: Wrong upright Greek instead of Italic
@ 2010-07-15  5:13         ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-07-15  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:08:41AM -0400, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> BTW, I did not know that you could use \setupbodyfont without the \
> usetypescript line.

I learnt it by accident, looks like some mkiv goody or something.

--

@ 2010-07-15  7:32         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-07-15  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15-7-2010 7:08, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> @Hans, can you correct these definitions in math-ini.mkiv.
>
> BTW, I did not know that you could use \setupbodyfont without the
> \usetypescript line.

I added that a while ago for mkiv, where it's doable as we don't have to
specify font encodings (\settrue\autotypescripts is default). Actually,
it will also try to load type-<askedname> when no match is found, so you
can make type-mycombi.tex with a mycombi typescript and then
\setupbodyfont[mycombi].

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE