From: "Matija Šuklje" <matija@suklje.name>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Semantic data in ConTeXt?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 23:33:43 +0200	[thread overview]

Dne nedelja 25. julija 2010 ob 12:02:58 je Hans Hagen napisal(a):
> Could be a nice topic for context conference.

It would be, yes :]

> We have tagging but the pdf spec leave handling tags to the application
> (it uses it for spoken text for instance). Technically tagged content
> can have user attributes (read rdf) but it's of no use if there is no
> application that does something with it.

From a quick search on Wikipedia, I found out that PDF[1] indeed does support
RDF[2] via XMP[3] embedded in the PDF file.

The problem here really does seem to be where ConTeXt comes into play.

I suppose it would be enough for ConTeXt if it would support embedding RDF via
XMP into PDF.

How this semantic data would get to ConTeXt would get there should be a
problem for the user and/or the editor (s)he uses.

* From the editor side, on the KDE SC[4] desktop I imagine getting Kile[5] to
import RDF from NEPOMUK[6] and Akonadi[7] databases would be possible.

* Another possibility would be for ConTeXt to support importing RDF directly
from iCal and vCard, FoaF[8], SIOC[9] etc.

...in both cases though I think it would be enough if ConTeXt could simply
include or refer to an external XML file that includes the needed RDF data and
generate a PDF from that. IMHO as a non/idiot coder on top of that additional
modules could be written to e.g. automatically tag the PDF with NEPOMUK tags.

As far as the PDF end user side is concerned, I think we needn't worry. I've
talked to some guys from the W3C and they are very much working in the
direction of semantic data driving pretty much everything on the web and on
the desktop. As already said, KDE is also very strong here and other big
desktops (including MacOS and Windows) are trying to catch up as well. From
what I gathered, both the semantic desktop side and the semantic web[10] seem
to have a sure future and we should see widespread use in the next two years
or so.

Cheers,
Matija
-.-.-
P.S. Is there a nicer wording then "(s)he" for referencing persona in unisex
gender (other then "one")?
-.-.-
[1]	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF
[2]	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework