* font catalogue (re)
@ 2010-08-05 10:47 R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2010-08-05 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

it is not a list of available fonts i need, but a catalogue where one can see the typefaces.

In the Minimal directory there are 91 tfm files, 309 pfb files and 2043 thm files.

Chap 31 'Fonts and font switches' of ".. an excursion" or
Sect 5.1.1 in '...the 'Manual' gives no example hwo to go from a tfm fil (say "tcxr.tfm")
to a usable font.

A possible test file of typefaces could be (for my use "specimen.tex"):

"""
azertyu ...
AZERTY ...
äëÿuüïö ...
âêûîô ...
ÂÊÛÎÔ ...
ÄËŸÜ ...
&"'(-è_çà)
"""

and the font file for making a PDF:
%%%%%
 how to go from TFM to 'normal'
%%%%%
\starttext
\input specimen
\stoptext

I hope this can help beginners.
--
René Bastian
www.pythoneon.org

* Re: font catalogue (re)
@ 2010-08-05 12:13 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-08-05 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Am 05.08.10 12:47, schrieb R. Bastian:
> Hello,
>
> it is not a list of available fonts i need, but a catalogue where one can see the typefaces.
>
> In the Minimal directory there are 91 tfm files, 309 pfb files and 2043 thm files.
>
> Chap 31 'Fonts and font switches' of ".. an excursion" or
> Sect 5.1.1 in '...the 'Manual' gives no example hwo to go from a tfm fil (say "tcxr.tfm")

There are manuals for this:

- Fonts in ConTeXt: http://pragma-ade.com/show-man-6.htm
- TeXfont explained: http://pragma-ade.com/show-man-8.htm

A overview over the fonts in the minimals would be nice but we should it
keep then simple:

- name of the font
- short sample text
- characater chart (limited to ascii and a few diacritics)
- example how to use it in context
(- for mkiv a list of the available features, there is a free symbol
font from adobe for this)

Wolfgang

* Re: font catalogue (re)
@ 2010-08-05 19:55   ` R. Bastian
From: R. Bastian @ 2010-08-05 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 14:13:47 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> scribit:

>   Am 05.08.10 12:47, schrieb R. Bastian:
> > Hello,
> >
> > it is not a list of available fonts i need, but a catalogue where one can see the typefaces.
> >
> > In the Minimal directory there are 91 tfm files, 309 pfb files and 2043 thm files.
> >
> > Chap 31 'Fonts and font switches' of ".. an excursion" or
> > Sect 5.1.1 in '...the 'Manual' gives no example hwo to go from a tfm fil (say "tcxr.tfm")
>
> There are manuals for this:
>
> - Fonts in ConTeXt: http://pragma-ade.com/show-man-6.htm
> - TeXfont explained: http://pragma-ade.com/show-man-8.htm
>
> A overview over the fonts in the minimals would be nice but we should it
> keep then simple:
>
> - name of the font
> - short sample text
> - characater chart (limited to ascii and a few diacritics)
> - example how to use it in context
> (- for mkiv a list of the available features, there is a free symbol
> font from adobe for this)
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang.

I copied the PDFs and played with the rules given in showfont.pdf, using a very short
sample text ( azert, capitals + the diacritics used in french & german).

But I am not clear with the .map, .tfm etc.

--
René Bastian
www.pythoneon.org