* Fwd: Re:  New beta 2010-09-22 and xits fonts
@ 2010-09-25 16:07 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-25 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] New beta 2010-09-22 and xits fonts
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 11:03:13 +0200
From: Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com>
To: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>

On 24 sept. 2010, at 12:00, Hans Hagen wrote:

> […]
> I uploaded a new beta. As a side effect of the changed table loader some info was missing.
>
> Hans

Hi,

Many thanks Hans: now xits fonts work as before (with ConTeXt  ver:
2010.09.24 11:40 MKIV  fmt: 2010.9.24).
However, for some reason it seems that the white space (or should I say
the glue?) between some operators such as \int and the following
characters is too big.
For instance the following

%%%% begin xits-int.tex
\starttext

\startbuffer[Test]
Since $F(u)={\rm e}^{x/n}$, it is clear that
\startformula
\int {\rm e}^x = F(u)^n.
\stopformula
\stopbuffer

\getbuffer[Test]
\switchtobodyfont[xits]
\getbuffer[Test]
\stoptext
%%%% end xits-int.tex

results in the attached PDF: notice the difference between the integral
sign in LM and in xits.

I am just reporting the issue for debugging, since one may always write
\int\!\!\! to add a manual correction, but this is not a « solution ».

Best and warmest regards: OK

[-- Attachment #2: xits-int.pdf --]

* Re: Fwd: Re:  New beta 2010-09-22 and xits fonts
@ 2010-09-25 16:32 ` Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2010-09-25 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.09.2010 um 18:07 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> [...]

Another problem is

\setupbodyfont[xits]
\startTEXpage[offset=1ex]
$k\choose n$
\stopTEXpage

Greeting
	Andreas

* Re: Fwd: Re:  New beta 2010-09-22 and xits fonts
@ 2010-09-25 19:00 ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-25 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 06:07:27PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >[…]
> >I uploaded a new beta. As a side effect of the changed table loader some info was missing.
> >
> >Hans
>
> Hi,
>
> Many thanks Hans: now xits fonts work as before (with ConTeXt  ver:
> 2010.09.24 11:40 MKIV  fmt: 2010.9.24).
> However, for some reason it seems that the white space (or should I
> say the glue?) between some operators such as \int and the following
> characters is too big.

Seems like another italic correction related issue. Taco, should the
italic correction be ignored if the \int does not have scripts?

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: Fwd: Re:  New beta 2010-09-22 and xits fonts
@ 2010-09-26  7:58   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-09-26  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/25/2010 09:00 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:

>> Many thanks Hans: now xits fonts work as before (with ConTeXt  ver:
>> 2010.09.24 11:40 MKIV  fmt: 2010.9.24).
>> However, for some reason it seems that the white space (or should I
>> say the glue?) between some operators such as \int and the following
>> characters is too big.
>
> Seems like another italic correction related issue. Taco, should the
> italic correction be ignored if the \int does not have scripts?

This gets sort of ridiculous, as *ignoring* the italic correction is not
good enough, it has to be explicitly substracted from the glyph width
(at least that is the case for the integrals with subscripts so I
assume that that will apply here as well).  Why on earth would someone
design a font in this manner ?!

Anyway, a small test file would be helpful, as it should not be hard
to do. Can you create a tracker?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Fwd: Re:  New beta 2010-09-22 and xits fonts
@ 2010-09-26 11:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-09-26 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26-9-2010 9:58, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 09/25/2010 09:00 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
>>>
>>> Many thanks Hans: now xits fonts work as before (with ConTeXt ver:
>>> 2010.09.24 11:40 MKIV fmt: 2010.9.24).
>>> However, for some reason it seems that the white space (or should I
>>> say the glue?) between some operators such as \int and the following
>>> characters is too big.
>>
>> Seems like another italic correction related issue. Taco, should the
>> italic correction be ignored if the \int does not have scripts?
>
> This gets sort of ridiculous, as *ignoring* the italic correction is not
> good enough, it has to be explicitly substracted from the glyph width
> (at least that is the case for the integrals with subscripts so I
> assume that that will apply here as well). Why on earth would someone
> design a font in this manner ?!
>
> Anyway, a small test file would be helpful, as it should not be hard
> to do. Can you create a tracker?

is this to be hardcoded or do we need flags for that so that we can set
the method depending on the font .. implementing redicoulous specs
sounds somewhat strange

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-09-26 11:26       ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-09-26 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 01:05:21PM +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:

> >>Seems like another italic correction related issue. Taco, should the
> >>italic correction be ignored if the \int does not have scripts?
> >
> >This gets sort of ridiculous, as *ignoring* the italic correction is not
> >good enough, it has to be explicitly substracted from the glyph width
> >(at least that is the case for the integrals with subscripts so I
> >assume that that will apply here as well). Why on earth would someone
> >design a font in this manner ?!
> >
> >Anyway, a small test file would be helpful, as it should not be hard
> >to do. Can you create a tracker?
>
> is this to be hardcoded or do we need flags for that so that we can
> set the method depending on the font .. implementing redicoulous
> specs sounds somewhat strange

AFAICT, both XITS and Cambria integrals should look OK with no italic
correction applied (both have around .1em right side bearing) and no
negative italic correction is needed.

I'll open a tracker issue with a test file.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny