On 2010-10-05 <23:27:33>, Hans Hagen wrote: > On 5-10-2010 11:17, Philipp Gesang wrote: > > >I guess there is some testing going on in order to determine > >whether to proceed with the current entry or switch to the next > >one. The position is the same, however the comparison with the > >last item fails and a new one is created instead. (Only > >guessing.) > > it's a sequence of tests per comparison, like > > Polyneikes > polyneikes % lowercased > polyneikes % shapes I assume by “shapes” you mean the base symbol (all diacritics stripped). > Polyneikes % unicode > > Πολυνείκης > Πολυνείκης % lowercased > polyneikes % shapes > Πολυνείκης % unicode > > casing and shapes depends on the mapping vectors and the order can > be influenced, you can see this in action with > > \enabletrackers[sorters.tests] Bingo! The tracker instantly revealed a really nasty flaw in the German standard transcription for Greek: “υ” is normally converted to Latin “y”, but is retained as Latin “u” in diphthongs like “ευ” and “ηυ”. So with the sorting definition I posted I get amongst the results: sorters > Kapaneys > Kapaneus because all “υ” are lazily mapped to “y”. Thus, for those occasional three words per book, determining the sorting position by hand (e.g. “\index[Kapaneus]{Καπανεύς}”) might be less prone to error. Thanks for the hint and sorry for posting a non-solution, Philipp -- () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail /\ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments