* "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  7:13 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-10-12  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello,

I'd have one more question.

I need to have many \subsubject behind each other (again: actually processing an external file, but a small example is attached):

---
\setupbodyfont[11pt]

\starttext
   \subsubsubject{001}
   \subsubsubject{002}
   \subsubsubject{003}
   \subsubsubject{004}
   \subsubsubject{005}
   \subsubsubject{006}
   \subsubsubject{007}
   \subsubsubject{008}
   \subsubsubject{009}
   \subsubsubject{010}
   \subsubsubject{011}
   \subsubsubject{012}
   \subsubsubject{013}
   \subsubsubject{014}
   \subsubsubject{015}
   \subsubsubject{016}
   \subsubsubject{017}
   \subsubsubject{018}
   \subsubsubject{019}
   \subsubsubject{020}
   \subsubsubject{021} % Last visible on the page
   \subsubsubject{022}
   \subsubsubject{023}
   \subsubsubject{024}
   \subsubsubject{025}
   \subsubsubject{026}
\stoptext
---

The problem is that typesetting n-th \subsubject doesn't go to the next page, but is typeset on the same page, so that the last ones disappear.

So how to setup (?) \subsubject to allow page breaks inside them? (Wiki did not prompt.)

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

[-- Attachment #2: t-Subj.ctx --]

\setupbodyfont[11pt]

\starttext
  \subsubsubject{001}
  \subsubsubject{002}
  \subsubsubject{003}
  \subsubsubject{004}
  \subsubsubject{005}
  \subsubsubject{006}
  \subsubsubject{007}
  \subsubsubject{008}
  \subsubsubject{009}
  \subsubsubject{010}
  \subsubsubject{011}
  \subsubsubject{012}
  \subsubsubject{013}
  \subsubsubject{014}
  \subsubsubject{015}
  \subsubsubject{016}
  \subsubsubject{017}
  \subsubsubject{018}
  \subsubsubject{019}
  \subsubsubject{020}
  \subsubsubject{021}
  \subsubsubject{022}
  \subsubsubject{023}
  \subsubsubject{024}
  \subsubsubject{025}
  \subsubsubject{026}
\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: t-Subj.pdf --]

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  8:03 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-12  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.10.2010 um 09:13 schrieb Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.:

> Hello,
>
> I'd have one more question.
>
> I need to have many \subsubject behind each other (again: actually processing an external file, but a small example is attached):

\setuphead[subsection][before={\blank[preference,2*big]}]

If you name really your files in the same way as your example you should change it because:

• ”t-” is a prefix for a module and
• the ctx file extension has a special meaning for context (file for proprocessing in xml format).

Wolfgang

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  8:13 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2010-10-12  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 12 2010, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:

> The problem is that typesetting n-th \subsubject doesn't go to the next
> page, but is typeset on the same page, so that the last ones disappear.

This works, but I can't explain why:

\starttext
\dorecurse{30}{\startsection[title=\recurselevel]\null\par\stopsection}
\stoptext

Cheers, Peter

--
Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  8:18 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2010-10-12  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2010-10-12  8:35   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-10-12  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, it works perfectly.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:18:54 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 12.10.2010 um 09:13 schrieb Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd have one more question.
>>
>> I need to have many \subsubject behind each other (again: actually processing an external file, but a small example is attached):
>
> \setuphead[subsection][before={\blank[preference,2*big]}]

BTW:

> If you name really your files in the same way as your example you should change it because:
>
> • ”t-” is a prefix for a module and

- I'll think about it, but maybe I won't change it until a problem with Ctx appears as I'm used to prefix all test files by "t-"; this concerns also my Cpp, AutoLisp and Lua files and other test files in general.

> • the ctx file extension has a special meaning for context (file for proprocessing in xml format).

- OK, I'm planning to use .tex for Ctx files in the future. Now I'm using LaTeX and ConTeXt both, so I use .ctx extension for Ctx sources. Moreover, till I'm trying to achieve the same things in Ctx as I'm used to do in LaTeX, I may have <a-file>.tex (for LaTeX) and <a-file>.ctx (for ConTeXt) in the same directory. I initially don't know whether I'll succeed with Ctx version (I'm still Ctx beginner and, although many things may be made more easily in Ctx, they work for me in LTX in the moment but still not in Ctx).

Lukas

@ 2010-10-12  8:40     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-10-12  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/10/12 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr@pontex.cz>:
> Thanks, it works perfectly.
>
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:18:54 +0200, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> • the ctx file extension has a special meaning for context (file for
>> proprocessing in xml format).
>
> - OK, I'm planning to use .tex for Ctx files in the future. Now I'm using
> LaTeX and ConTeXt both, so I use .ctx extension for Ctx sources. Moreover,
> till I'm trying to achieve the same things in Ctx as I'm used to do in
> LaTeX, I may have <a-file>.tex (for LaTeX) and <a-file>.ctx (for ConTeXt) in
> the same directory. I initially don't know whether I'll succeed with Ctx
> version (I'm still Ctx beginner and, although many things may be made more
> easily in Ctx, they work for me in LTX in the moment but still not in Ctx).
You can also use .mkiv for ConTeXt  MKIV
and .tex for  LaTeX and ConTeXt MKII
--
luigi

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  8:45       ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2010-10-12  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:40:19 +0200, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> • the ctx file extension has a special meaning for context (file for
>>> proprocessing in xml format).
>>
>> - OK, I'm planning to use .tex for Ctx files in the future. Now I'm using
>> LaTeX and ConTeXt both, so I use .ctx extension for Ctx sources. Moreover,
>> till I'm trying to achieve the same things in Ctx as I'm used to do in
>> LaTeX, I may have <a-file>.tex (for LaTeX) and <a-file>.ctx (for ConTeXt) in
>> the same directory. I initially don't know whether I'll succeed with Ctx
>> version (I'm still Ctx beginner and, although many things may be made more
>> easily in Ctx, they work for me in LTX in the moment but still not in Ctx).
> You can also use .mkiv for ConTeXt  MKIV

Yes, it sounds better. I noticed .mkiv files in Ctx installation tree but I thought this extension is "reserved" for a kind of files rather than .ctx.

> and .tex for  LaTeX and ConTeXt MKII

(It allows .mkii for "old style" Ctx as well.)

Lukas

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  8:49         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-10-12  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/10/12 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr@pontex.cz>:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:40:19 +0200, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com>
>> You can also use .mkiv for ConTeXt  MKIV
>
> Yes, it sounds better. I noticed .mkiv files in Ctx installation tree but I
> thought this extension is "reserved" for a kind of files rather than .ctx.
>
>> and .tex for  LaTeX and ConTeXt MKII
>
> (It allows .mkii for "old style" Ctx as well.)
Yes; a good point for three letters for suffix is compatibility with
old OS and perhaps MIME questions.

--
luigi

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  9:17     ` Khaled Hosny
From: Khaled Hosny @ 2010-10-12  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:35:01AM +0200, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
> - OK, I'm planning to use .tex for Ctx files in the future. Now I'm using LaTeX and ConTeXt both, so I use .ctx extension for Ctx sources. Moreover, till I'm trying to achieve the same things in Ctx as I'm used to do in LaTeX, I may have <a-file>.tex (for LaTeX) and <a-file>.ctx (for ConTeXt) in the same directory. I initially don't know whether I'll succeed with Ctx version (I'm still Ctx beginner and, although many things may be made more easily in Ctx, they work for me in LTX in the moment but still not in Ctx).

I usually do the reverse; use .tex for context (or plain) and .ltx for
latex, the later is also identified by vim so I get proper syntax
highlighting for LaTeX.

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  9:30           ` Alan BRASLAU
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-10-12  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luigi scarso; +Cc: ntg-context

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 10:49:18 luigi scarso wrote:

> Yes; a good point for three letters for suffix is compatibility with
> old OS and perhaps MIME questions.

What? You mean DOS? And FAT?
Maybe we should restrict our coding as well to ascii...

Alan

P.S. I am still using some real-time applications
running on computers under DOS, but I would not dream
of trying to put ConTeXt on such a system!

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12  9:35             ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]             ` <AANLkTi=P23N-Z3-99G1=+zEFDN04uiKj-zcH372c6PHP@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-12  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-10-2010 11:30, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 October 2010 10:49:18 luigi scarso wrote:
>>
>> Yes; a good point for three letters for suffix is compatibility with
>> old OS and perhaps MIME questions.
>
> What? You mean DOS? And FAT?
> Maybe we should restrict our coding as well to ascii...

it's not so much dos but the old iso cd standards but nowadays everyone
uses the extensions that permit long names

so, indeed 8.3 is no longer an issue (one reason why I stick to the 8
for context core files is that it works out quite well in lists and such)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2010-10-12  9:36             ` Taco Hoekwater
       [not found]             ` <AANLkTi=P23N-Z3-99G1=+zEFDN04uiKj-zcH372c6PHP@mail.gmail.com>
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2010-10-12  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/12/2010 11:30 AM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 October 2010 10:49:18 luigi scarso wrote:
>>
>> Yes; a good point for three letters for suffix is compatibility with
>> old OS and perhaps MIME questions.
>
> What? You mean DOS? And FAT?
> Maybe we should restrict our coding as well to ascii...

Since the almost total disappearance of 3.5" floppies and bare iso9660
CDs, I do not care about DOS/FAT any more.

But as far as I know, windows still bases its file type detection
on extension, so that is something to keep in mind.

Best wishes,
Taco

@ 2010-10-12  9:45               ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2010-10-12  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 October 2010 10:49:18 luigi scarso wrote:
>>
>> Yes; a good point for three letters for suffix is compatibility with
>> old OS and perhaps MIME questions.
>
> What? You mean DOS? And FAT?
yes; more generally  I think to customer OS for embedded devices
> Maybe we should restrict our coding as well to ascii...
As long as you impose the filename to follow the ascii 8.3 convention
the OS should be ok.
ConTeXt mkii is already able to manage utf-8 bytestreams (it's not a
OS issue, becuse  it's a binary file for these OSs)

> Alan
>
> P.S. I am still using some real-time applications
> running on computers under DOS, but I would not dream
> of trying to put ConTeXt on such a system!
Maybe not the full context, but metatex .
It's a memory+CPU issue so not too serious nowadays.
Also you lua is designed to be small and it's easy to compile luatex
for different targets.

--
luigi

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12 10:12               ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-10-12 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 11:36:26 Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> But as far as I know, windows still bases its file type detection
> on extension, so that is something to keep in mind.

Oh, Windows... (written with disdain)

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12 10:18                 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-10-12 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 11:45:28 luigi scarso wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> >
> > P.S. I am still using some real-time applications
> > running on computers under DOS, but I would not dream
> > of trying to put ConTeXt on such a system!
>
> Maybe not the full context, but metatex .
> It's a memory+CPU issue so not too serious nowadays.
> Also you lua is designed to be small and it's easy to compile luatex
> for different targets.

The point of these systems generally is to limit the use to a single
(real-time) task, on the factory floor, for example.

I guess now there is an explosion of embedded systems in handhelds,
phones, etc. and one might like to have luatex available.
We did see the beginnings of putting ConTeXt on an ipad, after all.

Alan

* Re: "Page-breakable" \subsubsubject?
@ 2010-10-12 11:15                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2010-10-12 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-10-2010 12:12, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 October 2010 11:36:26 Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>> But as far as I know, windows still bases its file type detection
>> on extension, so that is something to keep in mind.
>>

> Oh, Windows... (written with disdain)

actually I like the filetype / suffix thing even if it's imperfect (and
I dislike suffixless filenames as it gives me no clue what I deal with)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE